Best matches to watch for guard passing

Bruce Calavera

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm having alot of trouble passing the guard. Mind blowing right? So I'm looking for some clearly shot videos of competitors who are very technical with their passing. Grappler's Quest seems to have the best production quality I've seen but they also have about a thousand videos. Can anyone narrow this down for me to a few specific matches?

Any match with Marcelo Garcia, Saulo Ribeiro, Terere, or Roger Gracie.

i would also say what kind of passer are you and try to find that kind of competitor rather than a bunch of passers that all use different styles.

if you like crushing = roger

with marcelo you have to watch out, just because he can stand up in a guard and bend 90 degrees at the waste doesn't mean you should.

my 2 fav passer are leo and roger, more roger though as i am a similar build

Jacare is awesome at just smashing open guard.

Jacare, Cobrinha, Terere, Saulo, Roger Gracie, Rodolfo Vieira, Bruno Malfacine, Tarsis Humphreys, leo vieira and the list goes on. Royler

Eddie Bravo vs Leo Viera had some very slick guard passing stuff in it.

Leo for everything, Wilson Reis for the Tozi pass, Roger for smashing with tight pressure, and Jacare for effectivly opening the guard, then proceeding to kill you...

1:08 in just magic.

I wonder whos guard is better, Romulo Barrals or Braulios. Well Jacare did a good job of stopping Braulios guard from being defensive but he couldn't pass it either.

Roger vs Romulo from 2009 is great, I think. The match is like one long, slow guardpass, where Roger is leaning on Romulo, gaining more and more control inch by inch.

It depends what you want to do. A lot of guys use physical attributes that you won't likely have, so there's little reason to emulate them. Mario Sperry's passes are unreal, for example, but so is Sperry's physical strength.

You should find somebody who has similar physical attributes to yourself, who isn't a freak athlete, and check out how they approach it.

In general, Saulo Ribeiro is probably the best to emulate IMO, as his passing style is not very attribute dependent. Unlike Jacare, for example, who makes simple passes work because he executes them so incredibly fast and with such power and correct detail.

It depends what you want to do. A lot of guys use physical attributes that you won't likely have, so there's little reason to emulate them. Mario Sperry's passes are unreal, for example, but so is Sperry's physical strength.

You should find somebody who has similar physical attributes to yourself, who isn't a freak athlete, and check out how they approach it.

In general, Saulo Ribeiro is probably the best to emulate IMO, as his passing style is not very attribute dependent. Unlike Jacare, for example, who makes simple passes work because he executes them so incredibly fast and with such power and correct detail.

This.

For me, Marcelo Garcia is the one to watch - both for technique and "attitude" toward passing.

I don't like watching Wilson Reis for guard passing - even though his pass is my go-to pass against the closed guard when I decide to stay tight. Reis takes A LOT of chances with the "Tozi" pass that will get you swept or submitted if you aren't very comfortable and experienced with the position.

Back