best lightweight outside the UFC?

Chandler would be my choice . Very tough , incredible chin , heavy hands and no quit in him and he still has alot to learn . I believe he is ready for UFC talent and in a few years could be the best in the division .

Not totally disagreeing with Chandler but I find it funny that Melendez has been people's number one for so long but now we know he's going to the UFC people are jumping on another guy they know will be outside Zuffa for a while yet.
No hate just an observation.

Alvarez, Gilbert Melendez, Thompson, Jorge Masvidal and Pat Healy all will be in the UFC in a few weeks.

That leaves Hawn (Age 36), Chandler (Age 26), and Aoki (Age 29).

Aoki has more wins against top 20 guys than them combined. He is more proven although he has a stand up flaw.

Just because Aoki has been beaten, it does not mean he is a lesser fighter than Chandler (who has just 10 fights). Don't give me this: what if they faced which other stuff discussion. You can't base your opinion off such a statement.

Last edited:
Alvarez, Gilbert Melendez, Thompson, Jorge Masvidal and Pat Healy all will be in the UFC in a few weeks.

That leaves Hawn (Age 36), Chandler (Age 26), and Aoki (Age 29).

Aoki has more wins against top 20 guys than them combined. He is more proven although he has a stand up flaw.

Just because Aoki has been beaten, it does not mean he is a lesser fighter than Chandler (who has just 10 fights). Don't give me this: what if they faced which other stuff discussion. You can't base your opinion off such a statement.

Alvarez easily TKOed Aoki not too long ago, and Eddie was choked out by Chandler right before that.

mma2ruhew.jpg

Once Strikeforce is rolled into UFC, Bellator will be their main competition (especially now with the Spike TV).
Here is Belator LW ranking:
1. Michael Chandler
2. Rick Hawn
3. Marcin Held
4. Dave Jansen
5. Rich Clementi
6. Darrell Horcher
7. Alexander Sarnavskiy
8. Guillaume DeLorenzi
9. Patricky Freire
10. Brent Weedman

Josh Thomson should be considered as well, he beat Gilbert imo in their last fight.

Eddie
Chandler
Gil
Hawn

Eddie beats Chandler in a rematch, took him lightly and since then improved dramatically by switching over to the Blackzillians

I honestly think Alvarez and Chandler beat Gil. I dont think hes lived up to his hype at all

Eduard Folayang. He might not be the best talent wise yet outside the UFC, but he is one of the LW I enjoy watching who I feel will keep getting better and better. But I would still like to see Aoki in the UFC at some point.

Melendez, Chandler, and maybe Alvarez are the only ones worth seeing in the UFC imo. I don't see anybody else being capable of making a run to a LW title anytime soon.

Melendez, Chandler, and maybe Alvarez are the only ones worth seeing in the UFC imo. I don't see anybody else being capable of making a run to a LW title anytime soon.

Don't sleep on Hawn.... He could very well be the best of the bunch, Ive seen him live twice, he may shock everyone vs Chandler.... Can't wait for that fight.

Back