Best Joker from Batman in your opinion?

Heath was garbage. The only people who like Heath as Joker don't know shit about Batman.

eh what? Not much of a nerd but heaths joker seems to be closer to the later era graphic novels depicting the joker no?

eh what? Not much of a nerd but heaths joker seems to be closer to the later era graphic novels depicting the joker no?

Well, I mean you could just as easily go either way on that one. Nolan tends to take Batman characters and do whatever he wants with them. Ledger brought the Joker to life though. No other actor can claim that.

You could make a stretch and say that Nolan based him off the "killing joke" version of the Joker - but that is too much of a stretch to hold up to any kind of scrutiny, in my view.
The Killing Joke version of the Joker is almost a sympathetic character, this version just isn't. He does make mention of a tortured past... vaguely "do you know how I got these scars?"
And he does try to put people in a traumatic experience, ala the boat scene, to change their perception of the world...but in my opinion that is right where the accurate comparisons end between Nolan's version of the Joker and modern, pre Heath Ledger, graphic novel depictions of the character.

I would actually argue that Nicholsons joker is the most faithful depiction of the original Joker, which is odd because Tim Burton didn't read any comic books. (So he says.) Burton's Joker was a mafia lord, killed people with over the top schemes that involved chemicals inducing smiles on his victims, he's actually kind of funny instead of just being twisted with clown paint on.

I would argue that the Nicholson joker inspired future depictions of the character to the point where, if you want to say Ledger's joker was faithful to the graphic novels, you still have to point out that those graphic novels were influenced by Nicholson and Burton (Bruce Timm and Tim Sale who put together the Batman TAS were also influenced by the Nicholson Joker) and thus...so was Ledger, to a large degree.

But, in spite of all this...

The Joker killed Heath Ledger.

The Joker actually reached through the realm of fiction and killed someone.

Last edited:
Let me just settle this right now.

Mark Hamill's joker is the be all, end all Joker when it comes to character, character development, and longevity.

His Joker has stood the test of time over a two decades and has evolved into more than just a cartoon character but an icon. Hell, people know his Joker more than they do the comic rendition. His has been in animated movies, two comic book shows, and two of some of the most popular video games.

The movie ones were great, but Mark's Joker had a whole show for his character to be showcased. And the voice is probably the best you'll ever hear in animation.

I would say Hammill's Joker is the best from a traditional point of view.

For my personal tastes. I loved Ledger's Joker. He crossed every boundary to deliver that character.

Why did they design the rasta joker that way? Jsut to be different?

No.Real Anarchy wouldn't have given the people on the boats any choice at all.Or,to be more Joker-esque, One of them would have pushed the button,only to have their own boat blow up.

This guy gets it:

The boat scene was the Joker trying to prove a point. In fact the whole movie was him trying to prove various points. I feel the biggest one he was trying to prove was that deep inside everyone was crazy like him. Turns out he's just bat shit crazy and most folks won't resort to his level.

Is Batman: The Animated Series worth watching?

I just enjoyed ledgers take on the joker more than any other I had seen; it was a pleasant surprise to have someone give you a different perspective on a character that has been done so many times in so many mediums...

Nicholson /Hamill may have a fight over who did the truest joker

Ledger clearly was the most original

Hamill in Mask of the Phantasm. His work on the Arkham games was top notch and I enjoyed his reading of the Killing Joke.

I think they all brought their own flavor to the Joker. Prior the the Dark Knight I loved Jacks portrayal and still do, but I think Heath brought it to a whole other level. There was something about how dark he was. Jack while somewhat sadistic was also pretty funny. There was nothing funny about heath's joker he was just psycho.

Back