Best instructional's DVD?

Basics?

I've heard good things about Roy Dean's Blue Belt requirements DVD.

Basics?

I've heard good things about Roy Dean's Blue Belt requirements DVD.

yeah ive heard good things on roy dean.
ive seen some of his samples and shit, and its very good. real detailed, but ive also heard alot of good stuff about others so i dunno..
i dnot want to get one and think like i made a mistake ya know?

^ I found Roy Dean's blue belt requirements very helpful and I review some parts of his stuff every so often just to make sure my technique hasn't gotten sloppy.

His No-Gi essentials I borrowed off a guy from my school and so far it's been pretty good.

My favorites though, are Demian Maia's Science of JJ stuff and Cesar Gracie's DVDs. Really good explanations and the theory behind BJJ, helps your understanding reach a new level.

Saulo and/or Roy Dean for sure

Very good instruction and not boring like most others.

Depend on your budget I guess, Saulo DVD are probably longer but they cost alot more. Anyway both are excellent, you cant really go wrong here.

As a white belt I found that I could apply Roy Dean's blue belt fundamentals and Saulo Ribeiro's Jiujitsu revolution techniques and concepts directly to class. Saulo has some very good concepts for a beginner, such as giving what the opponent gives you, rather than trying to fight against every single position. Something that a lot of beginners tend to do.

Ummm....I think Roy Dean's DVD's are very good for what they are supposed to do....

....but I think they are painful to watch. I just had to get that out. I'm kind of happy I seem to be in the minority because the instruction is good. Something about Roy Harris and his guys and the way the present information is just....weird.

If you are looking for solid basics I would go with Saulo and Maia.

I would stay away from Robson's series. It is a good series but, most of the positions are more advanced.

Here are my personal favorites:

Jeff Glover's Deep Half
ALL of Saulo Ribeiro's stuff
ALL of Robson Moura's stuff
Mauricio Tinguinha's open guard, spider guard series
Braulio Estima's DVD, along with his internet series Invisible Jiu Jitsu
Ryan Hall's Triangle & 50/50 guard set

I cycle the above.... And I like watching tournament footage as well, Pan Ams, Mundials, ADCC, etc. While instructional videos offer the how-to, I like watching tournaments as it shows the application, which is often overlooked as you are starting off in jiu jitsu.

Roy Dean's was something I sorta liked in the beginning, but really its the stuff you should be learning in fundamentals class anyway. But its a good collection of things you should know as its very basic.

Anyway, good luck!

I am pretty new to BJJ and my favourite so far is the Demian Maia series Science of Jiu Jitsu 1&2. I really like the way he explains stuff and its just easy to watch. I have seen a few dvds that i didn't like because of the production and they just seemed boring. The instruction was good but i didn't like the way it was presented. Its down to personal preference really watch some samples on youtube of the ones suggested and see what you like.

I have two of Saulo's dvd sets, Freestyle Revolution and Jiu Jitsu Revolution 1, and would recommend both of them. People I train with will crack jokes with me about how they became purple belts or what not by rolling with black belts and not devoting any time to dvd's, but at least for me I've improved a lot since watching these. I also have his book, which I glance over at work when I can, and that has been a huge help.

Both sets are expensive but if you go on Amazon you can find each for about 89.99.

As a side note, I watch a lot of matches on YouTube, especially of Ryan Hall, Jeff Glover, Roger Gracie, etc., and repeatedly pause to try to see how things flow, which has also helped me.

I have two of Saulo's dvd sets, Freestyle Revolution and Jiu Jitsu Revolution 1, and would recommend both of them. People I train with will crack jokes with me about how they became purple belts or what not by rolling with black belts and not devoting any time to dvd's, but at least for me I've improved a lot since watching these. I also have his book, which I glance over at work when I can, and that has been a huge help.

Both sets are expensive but if you go on Amazon you can find each for about 89.99.

As a side note, I watch a lot of matches on YouTube, especially of Ryan Hall, Jeff Glover, Roger Gracie, etc., and repeatedly pause to try to see how things flow, which has also helped me.

That's funny. I don't hear of too many people skipping class to watch a DVD. I guess they never heard of supplemental learning.

Ummm....I think Roy Dean's DVD's are very good for what they are supposed to do....

....but I think they are painful to watch. I just had to get that out. I'm kind of happy I seem to be in the minority because the instruction is good. Something about Roy Harris and his guys and the way the present information is just....weird.

I believe "anal" is the word you're looking for. It's the one that comes to mind for me, anyway.

That said, Roy Dean's DVDs are pimp.

I believe "anal" is the word you're looking for. It's the one that comes to mind for me, anyway.

Can vouch for Roy Dean's DVDs, got the Blue Belt Requirements DVD and it really taught me alot, but I haven't had the chance to compare them which any others :(

The instructors that I found most interesting/useful:

Ryan Hall (The Triangle DVD is top notch)
Braulio Estima
Roy Dean
Jean Jacques Machado
Matt Thornton (SBGI)

Meh. He talks like he is trying to put me into a hypnotic trance. It just comes across as condescending which is a shame because I'm 99 percent sure he doesn't want to.

A big part of it was I really didn't pick up anything. It was just "this is how you do an armbar." "This is the way you do a triangle choke" etc. I didn't really pick up any tips or anything. It's not that I expected him to show me how to cure cancer, but I can usually watch 10 different black belts show an armbar and pick up a different detail from each one. That wasn't the case here. It was as vanilla as you could possibly make it, mostly because there was a lot to get through.

I think it was really cool of him to show basic leg locks and break falls which is something that white belts usually don't learn, but if you watch this DVD and everything on it is new to you, than you must be less than 6 months into training.

If you are brand spanking new to gi grappling and for some reason you think buying instructionals is the way to go, than this is great, but honestly if you are about ready to "test" for a blue belt I think it would be disturbing if you still needed this
DVD for anything but a couple of loose ends in your technique.

Back