best grappler youve ever trained with

Dominyka Obelenyte is soooooo skilled. Furthermore, she’s a phenomenal teacher of jiujitsu, which is even more impressive considering her age. She understands the sport so deeply, and training with her a short time changed how I think about learning jiujitsu.

Alex Vamos is another, who is scary good. I was a blue belt last I trained with him, but I still remember him rolling with me using absolutely zero strength. It was basically how a grown man would roll with a child he is trying not to hurt.

Gokor and Gene as an adult, Jason Morris as a youth.

Got my picture from that seminar in a local newspaper, back to the camera and airborne with Morris demonstrating on me. Think I was around 12 or 13.

I think it was after his worlds win in 93.

BJ Penn and JD Penn. I used to hear Rogan talking about how flexible BJ legs where, and thought, pfft I can get my legs behind my head too. But he can do shit with his legs that is just weird. Like, he can get his legs in those extreme positions and still have great control and strength from there. And his head. He uses his head more than anyone else I have rolled with. Really changed my game. He does basic stuff, but as good as everyone says he is.

JD Penn. Will roll with everyone the same. World champion? Fresh blue belt? Your gaurd is getting passed and your getting shoved into side control and you aren't moving until the timer goes off or you tap out. I haven't seen him roll with BJ but based on what I have felt I think he would dominate the roll.
Heard from a very reliable source who used to train with them that Regan is better then them all .

Heard from a very reliable source who used to train with them that Regan is better then them all .
Hard to say. Reagan plays a lot more, gives up position etc. JD won't let you get an inch and the way BJ rolls is somewhere in between. BJ is quite a bit smaller than Reagan and JD as well.

Please elaborate. Always been a big fan of Frank. How long ago ?

shit probably 10 years ago now. I’ve rolled with a couple pro fighters but he was by far the guy I felt most helpless against. He was taking a bit easy earlier when we got paired off but when we started to do rotations with him it was like trying to grapple some sort of superhuman that also had a high understanding of grappling. Pretty sure no one passed his guard. His wrestling is pretty underrated and he’s got very quick transitions. He’s the kind of guy that could easily force stuff against guys his size but while you overcommit to try to neutralize his strength will catch you in something else.

Also had a grin on his face most of the time while rolling which was highly demoralizing lol. He did compliment my inside single leg which he sort of just let me have to kimura me but hey I’ll take the compliment.

also not grappling but it was great to work stand up with him as well. Had a bit of a wider stance and was pretty unpredictable with which direction he was going to move. Made it real tough to get a gauge of distance on him. Just smooth footwork.

Dominyka Obelenyte is soooooo skilled. Furthermore, she’s a phenomenal teacher of jiujitsu, which is even more impressive considering her age. She understands the sport so deeply, and training with her a short time changed how I think about learning jiujitsu.

Alex Vamos is another, who is scary good. I was a blue belt last I trained with him, but I still remember him rolling with me using absolutely zero strength. It was basically how a grown man would roll with a child he is trying not to hurt.

i know alex he came down to belchers gym to do the white belt prank

shit probably 10 years ago now. I’ve rolled with a couple pro fighters but he was by far the guy I felt most helpless against. He was taking a bit easy earlier when we got paired off but when we started to do rotations with him it was like trying to grapple some sort of superhuman that also had a high understanding of grappling. Pretty sure no one passed his guard. His wrestling is pretty underrated and he’s got very quick transitions. He’s the kind of guy that could easily force stuff against guys his size but while you overcommit to try to neutralize his strength will catch you in something else.

Also had a grin on his face most of the time while rolling which was highly demoralizing lol. He did compliment my inside single leg which he sort of just let me have to kimura me but hey I’ll take the compliment.

also not grappling but it was great to work stand up with him as well. Had a bit of a wider stance and was pretty unpredictable with which direction he was going to move. Made it real tough to get a gauge of distance on him. Just smooth footwork.
reminds me of tim kenneddy iv trained with man ufc fighters but tim was the strongest by far theirs guys on here who think certain mma guys are great bjj guys but tim would crush them

That's so cool. I took a few classes from Frank back in 2004, never got to roll with him but always wanted to. But I am way bigger than h is so I can see why he chose not to. Was it some kind of seminar where you and he trained ?

Split between gabriel willcox or miguel Torres. Completely different styles. Different styles of ass-whoopin'. 2 of the nicest guys I've ever met though.

Renato “ Charuto” Verrisimo, BJ’s former bjj coach.

Back