best grappler youve ever trained with

thought terra left cesars around 2012 2013 he was a top guy still when eh was with cesar i forgot exactly why they fell out but i rememebr he use to help coach diaz bros
Yeah, he probably left in 2012 or 2013. Cesar brought him to the US in the late 2000's... maybe 2007 or so. I don't think he had really won any big competitions yet until after joining Cesar. I had already left the school when Cesar fired him, but he did it very publicly, posting about it on Facebook and Twitter. That's where I saw it. It had something to do with Caio betraying the team by training Carlos Condit, who got a controversial decision vs Nick around this time.

Victor Hugo.

I didn't even know what he was doing to me.

Caio used to teach at Cesar Gracie's school back in the late 2000's back before he won anything or anyone had heard of him. He was obviously good, but I thought he was kind of a dick. I was kind of happy when I heard that Cesar fired him.

How was he a dick? Did he not treat the students well at Cesar's?
Its odd that an instructor does not treat students well when teaching at his boss's gym

How was he a dick? Did he not treat the students well at Cesar's?
Its odd that an instructor does not treat students well when teaching at his boss's gym
There are other people on here who have spent a lot more time around him that I have. They can share their views. There are lots of rough guys who train at jiujitsu schools, and some people probably liked him fine. But I've also heard some people say he's an asshole. Just one example, some guy came into class just a few minutes late. Caio told him to get the fuck off the mat and that he doesn't show up to classes he's teaching late. The guy said he just got off work. Caio told him he was serious and to get out. Dude said he was paying for the classes and would talk to Cesar, and Caio made some comment something like Cesar would get rid of that guy long before he would get rid of him. I just don't see a reason to act like that.

Jefferson Moura at the main Gracie Barra academy in Brazil in 2007. I was a wrestler who was a blue belt. He kept choking me where it felt like my teeth were going to break. He was a super nice guy. I had no clue who he was until I saw him on the cover of a BJJ magazine in Brazil about a month later.

Most famous: Fabricio Werdum
Hardest roll: Marcinho (guy from my gym).

Nobody famous; Dwayne hinds.

Guy is a very solid and technical grappler who uses his strength well and just crushes you. He has 35lbs on me but it wouldnt matter regardless. Great trainer too. Won his superfight on para bellums most recent event via armbar

There are other people on here who have spent a lot more time around him that I have. They can share their views. There are lots of rough guys who train at jiujitsu schools, and some people probably liked him fine. But I've also heard some people say he's an asshole. Just one example, some guy came into class just a few minutes late. Caio told him to get the fuck off the mat and that he doesn't show up to classes he's teaching late. The guy said he just got off work. Caio told him he was serious and to get out. Dude said he was paying for the classes and would talk to Cesar, and Caio made some comment something like Cesar would get rid of that guy long before he would get rid of him. I just don't see a reason to act like that.

talk about unreasonable. its one thing if the guy comes in 30 minutes late with a soda in hand but yeah, some people finish work late or just on time to make it to class

talk about unreasonable. its one thing if the guy comes in 30 minutes late with a soda in hand but yeah, some people finish work late or just on time to make it to class
I don't know if there's backstory. Maybe he showed up late a lot, and they already had this conversation before. But still, he's paying money to attend classes. If he's late because of his work schedule, why be a dick about it? I think Caio said before that he was bullied all his life, and that's why he wanted to learn jiujitsu. I don't know how much of it is related to that or maybe Brazilian/jiujitsu culture.

Most famous: Fabricio Werdum
Hardest roll: Marcinho (guy from my gym).
werdums triangles r sickkk for a hw be tit looks funny him triangling a guy under 185 pounds lol prob be hard t choke them his legs would just crush your face

would feel weird a guy as small as caio and that baby face trying tot ell you to get the fuck off the mats lol would be a weird situation

Yeah, he probably left in 2012 or 2013. Cesar brought him to the US in the late 2000's... maybe 2007 or so. I don't think he had really won any big competitions yet until after joining Cesar. I had already left the school when Cesar fired him, but he did it very publicly, posting about it on Facebook and Twitter. That's where I saw it. It had something to do with Caio betraying the team by training Carlos Condit, who got a controversial decision vs Nick around this time.
yeah i remember the fall out there i always wanted to train at cesars due to diaz bros and jake shields being one of my favorite grapplers ever iv never seen cesar really teach only see his students kicking ass curious to see him other than some of his old dvds from 2 decades ago

yeah i remember the fall out there i always wanted to train at cesars due to diaz bros and jake shields being one of my favorite grapplers ever iv never seen cesar really teach only see his students kicking ass curious to see him other than some of his old dvds from 2 decades ago
Cesar was rarely at the school when I was there. I only saw him a handful of times. Saw the Diaz brothers a couple times and Jake and Gilbert once. I don't remember, but I think they had separate classes for the pro/competition people, so maybe these guys were only around for those. Usually it was Caio or Matheus Andre teaching the other classes. This was about 10 years ago.

Josh Hinger in gi never rolled with him no gi. I was a purple and he was a brown belt.

Also not sure if he posts on here anymore but lobo is his screen name here and a training partner of mine and he’s a tough roll for anyone. Won’t give up his real name on the board.

Cesar was rarely at the school when I was there. I only saw him a handful of times. Saw the Diaz brothers a couple times and Jake and Gilbert once. I don't remember, but I think they had separate classes for the pro/competition people, so maybe these guys were only around for those. Usually it was Caio or Matheus Andre teaching the other classes. This was about 10 years ago.
weird thought use t see vids of nick training with blue belts all the time back then

I rolled with Steve Smith, one of the only Americans to win a world championship in sambo. It was painful. He took me through some leglock related drills after I harassed him for weeks to help me out and that was possibly even more painful.

Don Behm, my high school coach was a Tbilisi champion (many tout that as a tougher tournament than the Olympics), 3rd in the NCAA's I believe and an Olympic Silver medalist behind the legendary, unbeaten 2-time Gold medalist Yojiro Uetake. Uetake was also the guy who beat him in the NCAA's and Coach Behm became the only guy to score an offensive point on Uetake in the course of that defeat. Basically, he was the best wrestler in the world at his weight class besides a guy who never lost outside of high school, to anyone.

He basically made me do cartwheels, somehow, when we wrestled. I was about 14 but he was fairly old and it was still really impressive--he seemed to barely touch me but he sent me flying. Several times.

My older brother was always a beast to roll with. All-State high school wrestler, collegiate wrestler. Main issue was that he was very strong and very fast and sometimes it was hard to defend when he'd simply get to his submission before I had time to react. Also of course, he knew me pretty well.

Rolled with Dan Severn one time. I thought it was going to be a relaxed, nice roll and suddenly he cranked it to 10, found his way behind me and it felt like he was about to snap my neck if I didn't tap.

Jake Shield’s older brother Clem. His game is relatively simple but his strength intensity and pressure are next level. Every roll with him is a nightmare. I have never seen him go light on anyone in training. Outside of the gym he is a really nice guy though.

would feel weird a guy as small as caio and that baby face trying tot ell you to get the fuck off the mats lol would be a weird situation
Caio taps people he rolls with a bazillion times because he is super submission oriented (he will tap you a lot more than say Roger because he doesn't crush you and patiently advance but just goes for the kill when he gets any opportunity with a huge arsenal of often tricky moves).
So I doubt people in his class would like to get into a confrontation with him.

Back