Best gameplan fighters? Most adaptable to specific opponents?

A couple more fights and I want to come back and say Porrier. I thought he was gonna stand 1 punch too long with Duffy before going to ground.

jon jones is the best answer

some other guys that come to mind are faber, dillashaw, most TAM guys and i think ricardo lamas does a decent job of adapting to opponents as well, mendes and aldo aside obviously

Cormier

Clinch against Mir and Nelson. Striking against Cummins. Wrestling and striking against Jones. Wrestling against Rumble. Clinch against Gus.

GSP - I think he was one of the few who recognized their own peak has passed or the accumulation of injuries / surgeries demanded a changing style. He did it near perfectly.

RDA. I mean, it didn't work against Khabib, but Khabib grew up wrestling bears so there's not a lot that can be done about that.

Why are people saying Jones?
His gameplan is always the same, if hes losing a round he eyepokes it out.

Rory.
I remember how impressed I was when he totally shut down Woodley.

NOT talking about camps or trainers. Which fighters have proven to be the best "football tape watching" type self-coaches in MMA/UFC? Obviously this would be similar to best fighter intelligence but they are not quite the same.

I would like to think that Conor is shaping up to be that kind of fighter but I'm not so sure yet.

Anyway which fighters have been the best at studying their opponents AND at actually adapting their techniques/training for the win.
Yeah Conor, who loves to boast about his "they're all the same" mentality, perfectly exemplifies what you're talking about TS.

Ryan Bader, his fight IQ is second to none.

Back