Best game you've paid full price for

MGS1

KOTOR

Picked them both up in the first week.

I've always hated that cover. Marle's doing some fire shit instead of ice, and Frog is apparently on the ground, injured, which is stupid bullshit because Frog is a goddamn hero and anyone who lets him die doesn't deserve to play the game.

Plus they're fighting that dude outside of the Medina cave, and you don't even have Frog yet when you fight him.

I never really noticed that about that cover. I'm pretty sure they just asked Akira Toriyama to whip up a quick splash page to use. But yeah, technically there are a lot of details that are out of place.

U must hate the metal gear solid box art. I like minimalist box art, just because u got an anime guy on the cover doesn't mean u know what the game will be like

Actually, no. I loved the MGS box art. I was more annoyed by the fact that the US marketing division for many publishers were dead-set and convinced that the Japanese art style wouldn't fly. This comes from many long years of being exposed to horrible cover art. All the way back to NES.

Rockman on the Famicom:
rockman1.jpg

Megaman on the NES:
mega_man_box_us.jpg

And it's not because of the minimalist thing either. I absolutely love the box art they used for the import Final Fantasy games. The box art for FFVII in the US is actually pretty good (and iconic considering the impact the game had on the genre here in the states):

ff7_us.jpg

But the Japanese version is just classy. On top of that, guess what? It lacks "an anime guy on the cover [to tell me] what the game will be like":

FFVII_Japan_Cover.jpg

Funny that you mentioned MGS, because I love the US version of the box art. The Japanese version, not so much. Especially when it's the first game in the series and you don't know who the guy is on the cover.

Remember the SNES shooting game that had the old guy playing a banjo on the cover?

Lots of great games I could name, but if I had to choose just 1, I have to say MGS4.

I went out on a limb with that one, I had never played a MGS game, but read up a little about it before release and it looked interesting, when it came out I said fuck it and went out and bought it. Ended up falling in love with the MGS series. Kinda strange since in order to truly understand MGS4 you need to have played the previous ones, I loved the characters and the story in the game though, the struggles they went through in the game, it really took me on a rollercoaster of emotions.

Honorable mentions though would be:

TLoU
Uncharted 2
God of War 2
Banjo Kazooie (I didn't myself pay for this one, it was a bday present from my parents, but still full price and an awesome game nonetheless).

Lots of great games I could name, but if I had to choose just 1, I have to say MGS4.

I went out on a limb with that one, I had never played a MGS game, but read up a little about it before release and it looked interesting, when it came out I said fuck it and went out and bought it. Ended up falling in love with the MGS series. Kinda strange since in order to truly understand MGS4 you need to have played the previous ones, I loved the characters and the story in the game though, the struggles they went through in the game, it really took me on a rollercoaster of emotions.

Honorable mentions though would be:

TLoU
Uncharted 2
God of War 2
Banjo Kazooie (I didn't myself pay for this one, it was a bday present from my parents, but still full price and an awesome game nonetheless).

banjo kazooie and banjo tooie on nintendo 64 were awesome

Remember the SNES shooting game that had the old guy playing a banjo on the cover?

Phalanx_North_American_SNES_box_art.jpg

I like that they're just like "whatthefuckever, here's a picture of some old guy for no fucking reason".

A lot of games, but I'm going to go with LA Noire. One of those games where I imagined what it would be like, and it met and exceeded my expectations.

KOTOR is another one. I heard that you could make significant game altering choices, and choose to go light or dark side. Never truly believed it would be as good as they described, but the game came as advertised and was absolutely mind-blowing.

FF7, lol. For a more recent purchase, it would be Starcraft 2 and the expansion. Its the last game I bought in a long time

A lot of games, but I'm going to go with LA Noire. One of those games where I imagined what it would be like, and it met and exceeded my expectations.

KOTOR is another one. I heard that you could make significant game altering choices, and choose to go light or dark side. Never truly believed it would be as good as they described, but the game came as advertised and was absolutely mind-blowing.

Playing that right now.. paid < 3 bucks... would pass up a snowcone again!

Maybe Ocarina of Time or Resident Evil 2 or Baldur's Gate 2 or something. Best bang for my buck was warband which I paid like $10 for and put 1300 hours into.

Man some good choices itt. For me:

Re 1-5, Fallout 3, Chrono Trigger, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Final Fantasy 2 and 3, KOTOR, and Bioshock 2 ( I bought one for like 8 bucks).

If I had to pick only one then I guess I'd go with fallout 3, I must have at least 400 hours invested in that game, and probably going to start again soon. Been getting the itch. Imo quite possibly the best game ever made. My favorite setting done well AND my favorite genre. I'm not even a fps guy, but it's such a goddamn good rpg.

I didn't even own a 360 when I bought it. My roommate did, and when I saw the previews for it, I could just tell it was going to be something special. Bought it as soon as it launched and played it whenever he wasn't on the xbox. A couple months later I moved out. Got my own xbox, and literally played it for about a year straight. Every person who I've ever lent it to or who saw me play it went out and got a copy too.

I can't wait for fallout 4. Decent chance it's going to be literally the best thing ever.

Witcher 3 most likely. I know I've played some better games but its only in the past couple years that I've started buying games when they come out.

skyrim PS3
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory PS2
Hitman Blood Money PS2
Baldurs Gate box (with I & II + expansions TOB...)

Per system is the only way I can answer this question...

NES: The Legend of Zelda
Genesis: NHL 94
3DO: Star Control 2
PSX: Resident Evil 2
Gamecube: Resident Evil 4
360: All the Gears of Wars and Mass Effects

Back