Best footwork in the game apart from TJ??

That's true and i by no means meant he was poor i just dont think he moves like some of the other guys mentioned do. He understands range better then most guys do though

Yeah he's not entering with the same lateral movements as TJ for sure.

Boxing is like art for someone that can’t paint, or shade, or color, but they’re really good at the outline lol
I could watch 12 round fights and just stare at their feet. I don't think people realize how big the skill gap is between boxing and MMA. The vast majority of high level boxers start as soon as they can walk. It's their entire life. The nuances in boxing truly are an art.

I could watch 12 round fights and just stare at their feet. I don't think people realize how big the skill gap is between boxing and MMA. The vast majority of high level boxers start as soon as they can walk. It's their entire life. The nuances in boxing truly are an art.
While this is true, boxing is but a small part of MMA. Conor would strangle Mayweather in seconds in an MMA match and Conor is average at best on the mat.

I appreciate boxing, especially non-political, good boxing, but they are two very different sports. Which is why Conor had no chance yet in the cage Mayweather would lose to lower tier MMA fighters.

Boxing is like mma but don’t kick! Or elbow, or knee, or clinch, or throw me, or use your submissions, and don’t wrestle me to the ground

It’s like telling an artist don’t use markers, or shading, or colored pencils, or brushes. Let’s just see what your online looks like

Boxing is like mma but don’t kick! Or elbow, or knee, or clinch, or throw me, or use your submissions, and don’t wrestle me to the ground

It’s like telling an artist don’t use markers, or shading, or colored pencils, or brushes. Let’s just see what your online looks like

How about watch 4 minutes of this footwork artistry. Sugar Ray Robinson + Ali = Sugar Ray Leonard

How about watch 4 minutes of this footwork artistry. Sugar Ray Robinson + Ali = Sugar Ray Leonard

I’ll try to watch it later, I honestly have tried to give boxing a chance it’s just so boring

Just because it's intentionally flashy doesn't mean it isn't also very effective and technical
I didn't mean to imply it wasn't. I only meant that it wasn't the best I could think of off the top, and that to outside observers it looks quite good because of the flash. I have no doubts as to it being effective. However, and I tried to clarify this, in terms of excellent basics and so on, it isn't the greatest. A lot of energy is required to keep it up, it's often spastic, etc. The unorthodox aspect of throws people off and it is hard to train for, but it has flaws.
I think Cody demonstrated this in their fight. His footwork was probably more effective than Cruz's(would need to rewatch to be certain)

Not sure what MMA footwork even means.

Rose and I’m not kidding. I don’t care for WMMA but her footwork is better than 75% of the guys on the roster.

It's not just fancy, I suggest you do some research before commenting

>Implying I haven't

I very literally mentioned in my comment that there are videos about this very debate; Boxing Legends' videos have been, unfortunately, removed. However, this is a debate in boxing.
I never questioned the effectiveness of their footwork, or the fact that it was grounded in technique. But, one must agree that it is
1. Flashy
2. Unorthodox
And these two things are part of what make it successful. Good footwork is not just moving your feet quickly. It's effectively moving yourself and your opponent. Some people argue that using the least amount of energy possible is better footwork(this is the Ali debate.)

Hot Take inbound:

I don't think Cruz or TJ have amazing footwork; it's just fancy. Footwork can also be seen as being in good position, forcing your opponent to move, etc.

Boxing Legends TV had a great video on this comparing Ali to someone else, I wish I could find it.

As far as who I think has the best footwork in MMA, hard question. McGregor is pretty good, I thought Aldo used to be pretty great; especially the way he defended against wrestlers, Till is looking good from a MT standpoint, Wonderboy has good karate footwork, etc.
That said, I'm not about to argue that Cruz and TJ aren't good at moving their feet. I just don't think it's the best ever seen.

What we need to do is distinguish between effective footwork and good footwork. Good footwork is both effective and efficient, it gets the fighter to the desired position with the minimum amount of movement and energy use.

So let's go back to Cruz and TJ. Their footwork is effective, it gets them where they want to go so they can strike or defend. However, it most certainly isn't efficient, Cruz in particular will often run around the cage and take 25 steps to get a position that a fighter with good footwork can reach in 2-3 steps. This is why I think Edgar is overrated as well, he runs around too much trying to get his position and wastes a bunch of steps for no reason. Active, yes, efficient, no.

IMO the best footwork in MMA is Aldo and Shevchenko. They're efficient and rarely waste any steps, and they can often get their opponents to do the work for them when they're looking to get a position. Instead of running around all over the place to get an angle like Cruz or TJ, they'll get the opponent to step in, then they side step or pivot off and get the positioning they were looking for.

Also, this.

Hot Take inbound:

I don't think Cruz or TJ have amazing footwork; it's just fancy. Footwork can also be seen as being in good position, forcing your opponent to move, etc.

Boxing Legends TV had a great video on this comparing Ali to someone else, I wish I could find it.

As far as who I think has the best footwork in MMA, hard question. McGregor is pretty good, I thought Aldo used to be pretty great; especially the way he defended against wrestlers, Till is looking good from a MT standpoint, Wonderboy has good karate footwork, etc.
That said, I'm not about to argue that Cruz and TJ aren't good at moving their feet. I just don't think it's the best ever seen.

What are your credentials?

TJ's entire style is based on being in a better position than his opponent.

That's why his footwork is the best in MMA. Nobody out-positions him.

Dominick did in their fight, but I believe that was a hot headed TJ who was headhunting instead of sticking to the gameplan.

Back