Best finishing moves

I like Riddle using the wrestler's guillotine...although he seems to have stopped lately.

UnrulySeriousKomododragon-size_restricted.gif

The Diamond Cutter. No matter how he applied it, his opponents always felt the BANG

I also was a fan of Dusty Rhodes Bionic Elbow, so simple yet so electrifying.

Speaking of electrifying

Along with the Stunner, Inoki's Inziguri, Kobashi's Burning Lariat, Misawa's Roaring Elbow, Hogan's Leg Drop, the Sharpshooter, the YES! Lock, the Scorpion Death Drop, the DDT, the Great Muta Moonsault, the Falcon Arrow, Eddie Guerrero Frog Splash, RVD Five Star Frong Spash.

Last edited:
I like Riddle using the wrestler's guillotine...although he seems to have stopped lately.

That was one of Danny Hodge's finishers back in the day. He used it as a submission finish, too. I had a video favorite on my Youtube account that featured him--Dan Hodge--using it, but the video apparently was deleted, doggone it.

The Styles Clash may not look like a powerful finisher but you can break someone's neck if performed incorrectly.

That was one of Danny Hodge's finishers back in the day. He used it as a submission finish, too. I had a video favorite on my Youtube account that featured him--Dan Hodge--using it, but the video apparently was deleted, doggone it.

Yeah...it's pretty easy to switch that from pin to hook.

I love how back in HS we weren't allowed to lock our hands until the ref started giving back points.

I love how back in HS we weren't allowed to lock our hands until the ref started giving back points.

I just went for the stockade instead of locking the hands...problem solved.

Yeah...it's pretty easy to switch that from pin to hook.

I think it was particularly interesting though that Hodge used it as a submission, back in the 70's, basically as a neck-crank the same way Bravo or whoever else might. To me, it is indicative of one a bad-man Hodge probably was when it came to submissions. Cause I mean, to most people prior to Bravo, they were just familiar with it as a rather mean and cool pinning hold, I'd think, unless maybe they put it together in their heads with the abdominal stretch. The fact that he clearly understood its utility as a submission says something to me about how legit he was on the ground, aside from being one of the best collegiate wrestlers of all-time.

I wish I had a video of it, the one I found was part of a sort of documentary about a wrestling show, it seemed to be primarily about a female wrestler or women's wrestling featured on the card. I'm not sure because I basically just focused on the part with Hodge.

I think it was particularly interesting though that Hodge used it as a submission, back in the 70's, basically as a neck-crank the same way Bravo or whoever else might. To me, it is indicative of one a bad-man Hodge probably was when it came to submissions. Cause I mean, to most people prior to Bravo, they were just familiar with it as a rather mean and cool pinning hold, I'd think, unless maybe they put it together in their heads with the abdominal stretch. The fact that he clearly understood its utility as a submission says something to me about how legit he was on the ground, aside from being one of the best collegiate wrestlers of all-time.

I wish I had a video of it, the one I found was part of a sort of documentary about a wrestling show, it seemed to be primarily about a female wrestler or women's wrestling featured on the card. I'm not sure because I basically just focused on the part with Hodge.

The neck crank version was a catch staple for ever. People have this strange idea Bravo invented the move in the last decade. Folks have just forgotten than so much of rasslin can be turned from show to go with very minor tweaks.

I always like a clean Perfect Plex, I also grew to like the cutter aka Diamond Cutter, it fit his underdog persona to a tee, getting ass kicked and boom. Razors edge when it was done clean and same with Jackknife Power Bomb.

In terms of badassness, Sean O'Haire hitting Swantons off everything was badass and crazy to see since he was no small guy. Top rope, on the ropes, off the stairs, getting launched.

The neck crank version was a catch staple for ever. People have this strange idea Bravo invented the move in the last decade. Folks have just forgotten than so much of rasslin can be turned from show to go with very minor tweaks.
Well, that's definitely true. The step-over toe-hold, the banana splits, the broomstick takedown which is really a rolling leglock...the DWL...arm-in-chokes of all variety...

I think it definitely says something about Hodge that he using that way, though. You might have found the submission application in an Earl Lederman instructional or a Gene LeBell seminar or something, but it definitely wasn't common knowledge. Honestly, LeBell may have gotten it from Hodge for all I know. Just looking at how he breaks down the Ed Lewis blood choke as well, adds to my sense that Hodge just knew his stuff on the ground, frontwards, backwards, sideways, interdimensionally...

Last edited:
I always like a clean Perfect Plex, I also grew to like the cutter aka Diamond Cutter, it fit his underdog persona to a tee, getting ass kicked and boom. Razors edge when it was done clean and same with Jackknife Power Bomb.

In terms of badassness, Sean O'Haire hitting Swantons off everything was badass and crazy to see since he was no small guy. Top rope, on the ropes, off the stairs, getting launched.

Johnny Walker was like the Sean O'Haire of MMA.

Well, that's definitely true. The step-over toe-hold, the banana splits, the broomstick takedown which is really a rolling leglock...the DWL...arm-in-chokes of all variety...

I think it definitely says something about Hodge that he using that way, though. You might have found the submission application in an Earl Lederman instructional or a Gene LeBell seminar or something, but it definitely wasn't common knowledge. Honestly, LeBell may have gotten it from Hodge for all I know. Just looking at how he breaks down the Ed Lewis blood choke as well, adds to my sense that Hodge just knew his stuff on the ground, frontwards, backwards, sideways, interdimensionally...

Leg rides and everything that goes with them seem to be one of those things that go in and out of style...I would wager a guess that was the case with Hodge and the wrestlers guillotine. People stopped doing them because they didn't work...until someone comes along and says bullshit yes they do and makes them work. Not sure if you follow folk style at all, but these few seasons had the same type of thing going with 3/4 nelsons...they're a middle school move that doesn't work...until Alex Marinelli started pinning people left and right with them. I'm sure we could come up with a couple dozen examples of stuff like this. Moves are cyclical.

I'm convinced Danny Hodge would have at least had a run with the NWA Heavyweight title if he was a bit bigger (though he was already pretty big)

-Sweet Chin Music
-Perfect Plex

The Sharpshooter was cool but it seems like it hardly ever finished anyone. It seemed more often than not they would break the hold or get to the ropes if they didn’t already break it before it was all the way applied.

Leg rides and everything that goes with them seem to be one of those things that go in and out of style...I would wager a guess that was the case with Hodge and the wrestlers guillotine. People stopped doing them because they didn't work...until someone comes along and says bullshit yes they do and makes them work. Not sure if you follow folk style at all, but these few seasons had the same type of thing going with 3/4 nelsons...they're a middle school move that doesn't work...until Alex Marinelli started pinning people left and right with them. I'm sure we could come up with a couple dozen examples of stuff like this. Moves are cyclical.

Oh, I couldn't agree more with that. That absolutely goes for every form of grappling. People convince themselves that the sport as evolved and that certain techniques are obsolete, then they forget about them, then they become relevant again. Rinse, repeat.

3/4 nelson is interesting, btw. Because that's basically what the Japanese necktie is. I know people associate with Shinya Aoki, but I'm pretty sure Miyata was doing it first and I think it was the carry over of his wrestling. Anyway, its another example of that phenomenon you were talking about of modified concession holds in folk and freestyle wrestling.

BTW--its funny you mentioning leg riding as a trend that goes in and out of style. The Simmons were in high school the same time as me, so when I was there, it was all the rage. The Wrestler's Guillotine was actually pretty popular too. I tried to incorporate it as a pin, actually. Like many things in my high school wrestling career, it didn't work out too well for me.

Back