Best Fighters During Their Prime

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MMAProfessional, May 12, 2014.

1. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

I'm not going to list the lighter weights because those are pretty obvious considering their recent introduction.

HW- Fedor Emelianenko (This one was very tough between him and Cain)
    LHW- Jon Jones
    MW- Anderson Silva
    WW- GSP
    LW- Bj Penn

2. juza

juza Orange Belt

HW Kerr
    LHW Wanderley
    MW Hendo

3. bambammccoy

bambammccoy Red Belt

HW - Fedor/Cain
    LHW - Jones
    MW - Anderson
    WW - GSP
    LW - BJ

I now know why u didn't list the lighter weights. They are all obvious answers.

EDIT: Just realized our lists are the same.

I guess at this moment, every weightclass has it's greatest figured out for now.

4. MMAProfessional

Yeah besides Pettis...he's great but I see him getting beaten soon.

5. waldywaldy

waldywaldy lol motherfuckers

You do realize that FW, BW and FLW have been around since the early nineties, do you? It's not like Dana White invented them....

6. MMAProfessional

Your an idiot...so have womens division but it's not hard to say Ronda is the best ever in her weight class...they havn't had time to evolve with elite competition. All the current champions IMO are clearly the best considering they havn't had time to evolve. Name a fighter who is better than the current champions in the lighter divisions? The only arguable one is Cruz other than that it is pretty obvious. The reason why the UFC didn't adapt the classes earlier because their wasn't enough competition and thus were not profitable. Get outa here with your ignorant self thinking that your all knowledgeable when in reality your a clown.

7. juza

juza Orange Belt

Early nineties? Name one major champion from said classes, from say 1991.

8. waldywaldy

Here you go son

Bantamweight actually started in the late 80's....

9. waldywaldy

10. juza

juza Orange Belt

What did you exactly just do, dad?

Yeah, heavyweight started in the stone ages. As did Lightheavyweight, and so on. That wasn't the question.

11. IloveTHIS

IloveTHIS Humble Narcissist

23 year old healthy knee Shogun stands a very real chance of brutally KOing prime JJ, especially under PRIDE rules. We will never know for sure though.

12. waldywaldy

Christ. OK I'll give it to you in bite-size pieces so you can digest it.

"Inception of the championship occured on 7/29/1989, the fifth known professional fight taking place at or below 137 pounds, which included the first two winners of Bantamweight bouts in a previous event (the other two bouts were draws)."

source: http://www.fightmatrix.com/lineal-championship-histories/bantamweights/

Kazuhiro Sakamoto

13. bjpenngoat

bjpenngoat Red Belt

I cant see why ts was conflicted between fedor and cain. cain has 10 wins. 4 of them against the same 2 guys. Fedor went an entire decade without a loss beating two former ufc champions still in their prime and the two best hw's of his era. Cain is great, ima HUGE fan but to say cain is on fedors level at this point is absurd.

14. juza

juza Orange Belt

Name that fighter again without looking at your post or google. Would he even beat a top 20 fighter from today?

Patronise all you want, i don't care for your copypaste data, we all know classes existed before, that wasn't the question nor the point. Your arrogant stance is what bothers people. You missed the entire football, as they would say in my country. Go to school, "son".

15. waldywaldy

Sakamoto??? I have a thing for (early) JMMA so I've heard of him before. And no I didn't miss the handegg, I just decided not to catch it. TS claimed he didn't include the lighter weight classes due to their recent introduction. I thought I'd share the fact that the lighter weight classes have been around since before UFC 1, since it's not commonly known nowadays. I'm sorry If that or my replies after that came across as arrogant as that was not my intention form the start. I will admit that I might have replied slightly irritated after TS's rude and your slightly smart-assed replies to my initial comment. For that I sincerely apologize.

16. evilbrent

evilbrent Blue Belt

Hmmm.. Yes? I don't think anybody is even allowed to argue the greats in the weight classes you've listed. IMO those 5 are interchangeable with no one (with the exception of Fedor Cain). The closest would be BJ, but it's way, way too early to tell.

17. juza

juza Orange Belt

That's ok, thanks for the polite internet ethics. I too apologise for being slightly smart-assed (?) in my replies. Still, Sakamoto? Do you really, REALLY think he is even close to the top 10 fighters nowadays? Not to mention the champions from the past decade or so. Have you watched him fight? Etc, etc. Yeah, the class exhisted but the talent level was amateurish (no offence).

18. Hanz_Blitz

Hanz_Blitz BJJ all day

Fedor
    Jones (hate to say it)
    Silva (will be Weidman should he get past Machida)
    GSP and it's not even close
    Penn
    Aldo
    Barao

19. surgeyou1

surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

Marinovich Penn is the scariest lightweight of all time

20. waldywaldy

No I dont' think he could compete by a long shot. Exciting fighter though. I've got some old Shooto VHS bootlegs a friend brought me from Japan years ago. I think It's virtually impossible to compare fighters from different era's. A prime Ice cold Igor or Rickson, we'll never know how they would have fired against better competition. That's why I think these types of discussions are kind of pointless.