Best Fighter in GOT Tournament | Final 4 | 1) Barristan Selmy vs 4) Robert Baratheon

If it was up to me, I'd have trouble choosing, but I'm pretty sure GRRM himself has said Selmy and Dayne are the two best. And who am I to argue with that? It sounds like the waters of the trident slowed down Rhaegar enough to give Robert the definitive advantage.

Without that info, I might even go with Robert, as I am inclined to favor heavier armor and blunt weapons. A sword really isn't such a great weapon against a guy in full plate. An estoc would work, but I think the Westerosi Knights use conventional longswords. I have no doubt Selmy is good at finding the gaps in the armor, but it's still not the optimal weapon in the same way a warhammer is.

Last edited:
It is predictable, unfortunately. We all know what the final 2 is.

I just enjoy seeing tournament threads, but I would be down for any variation and I would also be fine with a double elimination one. Other Got tournaments could work as well; Best Houses/Regions, Hottest character, Best King of all time, Politician, Leader, etc. And if we can't find 16 options for a Tournament then we can do 8 instead.

I could go for double elimination too.

It would be just like Foreman vs Ali. The big scary Baratheon/Foreman vs the faster and more skilled goat Barristan/Ali.
Selmy would rope-a-dope Robert's scary hammer ass and then drop him.

It is predictable, unfortunately. We all know what the final 2 is.

I just enjoy seeing tournament threads, but I would be down for any variation and I would also be fine with a double elimination one. Other Got tournaments could work as well; Best Houses/Regions, Hottest character, Best King of all time, Politician, Leader, etc. And if we can't find 16 options for a Tournament then we can do 8 instead.

best house!

Ba-Ry! *stomp* *stomp*
Ba-Ry! *stomp* *stomp*

He has a patience, focus and experience that Robert never did. Selmy can count this as one of his great victories.

Only one of them killed enough motherfuckers to take Kings Landing and Westeros for himself.

If it was up to me, I'd have trouble choosing, but I'm pretty sure GRRM himself has said Selmy and Dayne are the two best. And who am I to argue with that? It sounds like the waters of the trident slowed down Rhaegar enough to give Robert the definitive advantage.

Without that info, I might even go with Robert, as I am inclined to favor heavier armor and blunt weapons. A sword really isn't such a great weapon against a guy in full plate. An estoc would work, but I think the Westerosi Knights use conventional longswords. I have no doubt Selmy is good at finding the gaps in the armor, but it's still not the optimal weapon in the same way a warhammer is.

Selmy and Dayne are the most skilled swordsman, but Robert isn't a swordsman. Also, GRRM has also said that any of the top fighters can beat any of the other top fighters, depending. Also, is there anything on Selmy's resume that prime Robert couldn't do? Is cutting through the Golden Company and slaying Maelys the Monstrous more impressive than bulldozing through the Targaryen host and smashing Prince Rhaegar?

I think Robert is a big wild card. Unlike any other elite warrior, he has a number of advantages over the top guys. He has the weapon advantage, size/strength advantage, durability/armor advantage, and combat experience advantage over Jaime/Dayne/Selmy. The sharpness/speed advantage of Dawn is pretty much negated: it's not gonna cut through Robert's plate and Robert has trained against speed his entire life. He matches up really well with them.

Selmy and Dayne are the most skilled swordsman, but Robert isn't a swordsman. Also, GRRM has also said that any of the top fighters can beat any of the other top fighters, depending. Also, is there anything on Selmy's resume that prime Robert couldn't do? Is cutting through the Golden Company and slaying Maelys the Monstrous more impressive than bulldozing through the Targaryen host and smashing Prince Rhaegar?

I think Robert is a big wild card. Unlike any other elite warrior, he has a number of advantages over the top guys. He has the weapon advantage, size/strength advantage, durability/armor advantage, and combat experience advantage over Jaime/Dayne/Selmy. The sharpness/speed advantage of Dawn is pretty much negated: it's not gonna cut through Robert's plate and Robert has trained against speed his entire life. He matches up really well with them.

I pretty much agree. I wish I could change my vote, but I was too hasty in my judgment. I think I also didn't keep mind of the fact that Selmy was also at the Trident, and we didn't see him cutting through the rebel host and taking Robert out in the same way Robert did Rhaegar. Barristan was supposed to protect Rhaegar and he failed.

Sounds like most people in this thread know what's what

Only one of them killed enough motherfuckers to take Kings Landing and Westeros for himself.

this.

Also taking on a beast who uses a war hammer is a totally different ball game than a sword. plus Roberts straight up savagery, i just see him catching Selmy with something and breaking bones, armor or not. Selmy has to get thru Roberts armor to do serious damage, much tougher task.

I pretty much agree. I wish I could change my vote, but I was too hasty in my judgment. I think I also didn't keep mind of the fact that Selmy was also at the Trident, and we didn't see him cutting through the rebel host and taking Robert out in the same way Robert did Rhaegar. Barristan was supposed to protect Rhaegar and he failed.

Good point. To be fair to Selmy, he was no longer in his prime by the Trident, but he absolutely underperformed.

The Trident was like the Westerosi all-star game (with a few notable exceptions) and Robert put up cartoonish numbers. This was less than a year after being so injured that he had to hide out in Stoney Sept. And he was only 19 at the time. His prime was very likely years later, during the Greyjoy Rebellion (in which he wouldn't have been allowed to fight much).

Makes the line "Woe to the Usurper if we had been" so freaking frustrating. So many amazing potential matchups ruined by Rhaegar.

Selmy is 1 and 1 with Rheagar in tourneys.

Big Rob is 1 and 0 in Rheagar death matches.

Prime Roberts undefeated in battle, Barristan has been defeated and captured in a battle where Robert was a God of War.

Last edited:
The sharpness/speed advantage of Dawn is pretty much negated: it's not gonna cut through Robert's plate and Robert has trained against speed his entire life. He matches up really well with them.

I was thinking a bit more about this. He's basically designed to kick the crap outta knights....a nightmare matchup for any of them, but at the same time, I could see him getting his ass kicked by someone like Drogo for those same reasons whereas I don't even think an old Selmy would lose to Drogo.

Hmmm...

You make several interdasting points. The case can certainly be made for Robert's victory here or anywhere.

In a straight up combat to the death on an open field, Robert might have been the baddest mother to ever live

I think what inevitably fucks most of the competition against Robert is that it's a rare exception where wearing armor is a disadvantage. It's better to keep your speed and stamina, seeing as one good hit is gonna take you out regardless.

Some good Bobert quotes.

“

They said Robert Baratheon was strong as a bull and fearless in battle, a man who loved nothing better than war. [16]

”

— Daenerys Targaryen

“

If he couldn't fuck it, fight it or drink it, it bored him.[18]

”
— Sandor Clegane

“

We all know what my brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt.[22]

”
— Stannis Baratheon

“

Robert ... He is in my dreams as well. Laughing. Drinking. Boasting. Those were the things he was best at. Those, and fighting. I never bested him at anything.[19]

”

— Stannis Baratheon suggesting to Melisandre that Robert should have been the champion of R'hllor

Does anyone else find it kinda amusing that Robert potentially beat the same guy twice in this tournament?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back