Best Fighter in GOT Tournament | Final 4 | 1) Barristan Selmy vs 4) Robert Baratheon

I would like to see a tourney of this sort, but filtering out the top five or so. This will be the same result when we did it last year. The top five will always be some variation of Selmy, Dayne, Jamie, Robert, and The Hound.

I would like to see Ser Garlan and some of the lesser known knights battle it out. Some from the Iron Islands. Maybe an outlaw bracket with Smiling Knight and co.

That would be pretty cool. Garlan, Victarion, and even dudes like Lyn Corbray. Cool that Lyn wanted to take the fight with Bronn when Tyrion was having his trial in the Vale. Might have been a different outcome.

Lyn Corbray had slain almost as many men in duels as he had in battle. He had won his spurs during Robert's Rebellion, she knew, fighting first against Lord Jon Arryn at the gates of Gulltown, and later beneath his banners on the Trident, where he had cut down Prince Lewyn of Dorne, a white knight of the Kingsguard. Petyr said that Prince Lewyn had been sorely wounded by the time the tide of battle swept him to his final dance with Lady Forlorn, but added, "That's not a point you'll want to raise with Corbray, though. Those who do are soon given the chance to ask Martell himself the truth of it, down in the halls of hell."

On the Trident, when their father fell wounded, it was Lyn who snatched up Lady Forlorn and slew the man who'd cut him down. Whilst Lyonel was carrying the old man back to the maesters in the rear, Lyn led his charge against the Dornishmen threatening Robert's left, broke their lines to pieces, and slew Lewyn Martell. So when old Lord Corbray died, he bestowed the Lady upon his younger son.

That is what I was thinking. I mean no disrespect to this tourney, but the outcome will likely be the same. I was thinking something along the lines of Jorah Mormont, Lyn Corbray, Garlan, Victarion, Crow's eye, Bronn, maybe a few of the wildings and hill tribes-Tormund, Styr, and others. More of a B bracket.

That is what I was thinking. I mean no disrespect to this tourney, but the outcome will likely be the same. I was thinking something along the lines of Jorah Mormont, Lyn Corbray, Garlan, Victarion, Crow's eye, Bronn, maybe a few of the wildings and hill tribes-Tormund, Styr, and others. More of a B bracket.

needs more Strong Belwas

Prime Robert Baratheon+his Warhammer takes it for me.

I got to go against conventional wisdom and go with Robert. As a youth he seemed built to fight carrying a weapon that few other men could use. Even in his final days he seemed right for war. Some men crave the battlefield and need it to be right in the head. Robert to me was that man.

Selmy without a doubt is more skilled but I think Robert's desire to kill and fight would eventually defeat Selmy.

I could see Selmy content with a quite life in the kings guard however I could never see Robert content with that.

PuhNdS8.jpg

cqV1HO2.jpg

F4D7iE6.jpg

Selmy will obviously win this on votes.

But styles make fights and Robert with his war hammer is the correct answer here imo.
Both guys in full armor? Selmy is faster, more skilled by Robert has the ability to crush Selmly with a single shot even if he's injured, assuming his arm is fine.
Selmly is more the best fighter, but I think he'd lose this style match up.

Also, after seeing the one and only drogo fight scene, I'm convinced that he would maul anyone in any of these tournaments. Dude was built like reem and moving like Cruz.

so this is going to go exactly how ive been saying since round 1

selmy vs dayne. when the book straight up says theyre equal swordsmen but dayne has a better sword

voted for bobby b just because i think hes cool

1397451516641.jpg

Last edited:
Barry "white" Selmy FTW. Sounds like it could have been close in Robby's prime, but Selmy seems to be in the GOAT discussion.

Barristan unless Robert was told Barry the boner was double teaming Lyanna with Rhaegar.

Selmy probably dances like the wind, cutting Robert a thousand times en route to a flawless victory.

But Robert was a master duelist. Selmy has never dueled a warhammer. And if he has, he definitely hasn't dueled Robert's warhammer. This would be like Anderson Silva fighting Hendo if he'd never heard anything about Hendo's punching power. The lack of intel really helps Robert a lot. Add in his reach advantage, and I [wishfully] think he pulls off the upset.

Selmy should win this.

GRRM basically said he and Dayne are a notch above everyone else, so I don't think Robert can win this.

Selmy should win this.

GRRM basically said he and Dayne are a notch above everyone else, so I don't think Robert can win this.
He never said that. He was asked who would win between Dayne and Selmy and he said that it would depend on what sword they were using. Dayne has Dawn and this gives him the advantage. At no point did he say that either one of them is above Robert Baratheon. Robert Baratheon's battle prowess was close to inhuman.Hence his nick name 'the Demon of the Trident'. It's a close fight but my vote goes to Robert.

I do believe that we should change the format of the tournament. This is basically a popularity contest. We need more details of the contestant's skills, history and their exploits on the battle fields. This would make it easier to compare.

He never said that. He was asked who would win between Dayne and Selmy and he said that it would depend on what sword they were using. Dayne has Dawn and this gives him the advantage. At no point did he say that either one of them is above Robert Baratheon. Robert Baratheon's battle prowess was close to inhuman.Hence his nick name 'the Demon of the Trident'. It's a close fight but my vote goes to Robert.

I do believe that we should change the format of the tournament. This is basically a popularity contest. We need more details of the contestant's skills, history and their exploits on the battle fields. This would make it easier to compare.

Yeah, and I though Dayne was pretty much confirmed as the best fighter in the series. Unless all of the character in the books were lying ofcourse, when they mentioned Dayne, which I consider very unlikely. Or am I misinterpreting that as well?

Selmy's only chance is catching Robert through a joint or hitch in his armor if Robert slips and falls.

Robert is going to land a blow on Selmy andf he's going to break some bones and fuck his shit up.

If this were just a sword fight I'd take Selmy but the hammer is the best in battle weapon.

I would like to see a tourney of this sort, but filtering out the top five or so. This will be the same result when we did it last year. The top five will always be some variation of Selmy, Dayne, Jamie, Robert, and The Hound.

I would like to see Ser Garlan and some of the lesser known knights battle it out. Some from the Iron Islands. Maybe an outlaw bracket with Smiling Knight and co.

Agreed. This is heading towards the same results as last time, predictably.

It is predictable, unfortunately. We all know what the final 2 is.

I just enjoy seeing tournament threads, but I would be down for any variation and I would also be fine with a double elimination one. Other Got tournaments could work as well; Best Houses/Regions, Hottest character, Best King of all time, Politician, Leader, etc. And if we can't find 16 options for a Tournament then we can do 8 instead.

Back