Best Fighter in GOT Tournament | Bronze | 3) Jaime Lannister vs 4) Robert Baratheon

Jaime also says they are all people that would have a chance to beat him, wether or not it is by skill or strength or size, they could possibly best him.

Two separate convos. One time, he talked about how only a few men in the realm were in his league. That was referring to Selmy, The Hound and The Mountain. Another time, he reflected on how Brienne was physically stronger than him and was surprised because not that many men were, with the exception of Robert, The Greatjon, the Cleganes and Crakehall (I think).

Agreed. Most likely exaggerated stories.

That said, could you imagine bucking some poor mofo down with a 30 pound hammer, even in armor lol?

Average medieval warhammers weighed around 3-5lbs. GRRM confirmed that Robert's weighs 10, which is double the weight and entirely unwieldy for even a very strong normal person.

A gorilla would have a hard time wielding a 30lb warhammer.

Possibly, but thats where Robert is unique, he can weild it like Jaime weilds a 3 pound sword.

Thats the scary part about it.

I don't know if I buy that, I've never heard of such claims.

He's proficient with the hammer and his love for battle is almost unmatched, but a Sword handles a lot different than a battle axe. That's kind of the idea of the battle axe, what you lose in speed you compensate for in sheer power and force.

When Robert wanted Rhaegar dead, an army of Targaryens and Barristan Selmy couldn't stand between him. When Jaime wanted Robb Stark dead, it took a small group of nobodies to stop him and Robb didn't even have to lift his sword. Oh and they were trying NOT to kill Jaime whereas half the kingdom wanted Robert dead at the Trident.

Legit lol. I was gonna post a defense of Jaime until you said that. Utter besmirchment.

Two separate convos. One time, he talked about how only a few men in the realm were in his league. That was referring to Selmy, The Hound and The Mountain. Another time, he reflected on how Brienne was physically stronger than him and was surprised because not that many men were, with the exception of Robert, The Greatjon, the Cleganes and Crakehall (I think).

Average medieval warhammers weighed around 3-5lbs. GRRM confirmed that Robert's weighs 10, which is double the weight and entirely unwieldy for even a very strong normal person.

A gorilla would have a hard time wielding a 30lb warhammer.

I thought he said the Mountain wasn't in his league but was plenty quick for his size -and the Hound was just as quick, but also strong and very skilled -and that he wouldn't want to fight the Hound if he had a choice in it?

Either way you seem to remember that part more than I.

Ok, 10 pounds then. Never knew George confirmed it.

On a side note, been loooking into real swords and war hammers and shit like that. There is some crazy ass shit out there. Be cool to hang some of that stuff on the walls of my office. Apparently you can even buy stuff that is crafted as well (or better) as the weapons actually used in combat. Pretty cool.

^^^
Haha I have been too. If I ever have some spare cash that can be spent absolutely frivolously, definitely gonna at least get a longsword.

I don't know if I buy that, I've never heard of such claims.

He's proficient with the hammer and his love for battle is almost unmatched, but a Sword handles a lot different than a battle axe. That's kind of the idea of the battle axe, what you lose in speed you compensate for in sheer power and force.

Word.

Yeah, I can only go off what I remeber reading. Maybe Leagon has some better input on it. I thought it was said that Robert was able to handle that thing better and quicker than most swordsman could handle their weapons. Could be wrong tho.

When Robert wanted Rhaegar dead, an army of Targaryens and Barristan Selmy couldn't stand between him. When Jaime wanted Robb Stark dead, it took a small group of nobodies to stop him and Robb didn't even have to lift his sword. Oh and they were trying NOT to kill Jaime whereas half the kingdom wanted Robert dead at the Trident.

Legit lol. I was gonna post a defense of Jaime until you said that. Utter besmirchment.

Robert and Rhaegar were both looking for each other on the battle field.

Robb wasn't even on the field, preferring to stay at the back with his mother.

Jamie takes the first but not 2nd scenario
Prime jamie is supposedy a frigging prodigy with a blade arguably the top fighter in all of westeros
Prime robert is one of the best there is , prob not as skilled but bigger and stronger pretty much the hound of his day.
Id give jamie the edge simply due to the fact hes prob got more ways to win by being more of a technical fighter and hes spent his time training with the westeros dream team of kingsguard members

one hand jamie vs fat robert....robert takes with ease and almsot keels over from exhaustion doing so

^^^
Haha I have been too. If I ever have some spare cash that can be spent absolutely frivolously, definitely gonna at least get a longsword.

Same here. Looks like the good 'battle ready' stuff starts at about 200$ bucks or so, which isn't bad at all.

The Demascus forged shit is in the thousands tho and it depends on wether or not you find a legit blacksmith to make it for you and so on.

The Long/Great swords are very cool. I've also come across somne badass Templar stuff as well.

I'm still in the research process learning about grades of steel, the cooling/hardening process, balance and so on. Wether I ever buy one or not its cool to learn about it.

In the second scenario, all Jaime would have to do was what Bronn did when he fought at Tyrion's trial. Just dance around and wait for him to get tired or to over commit. I doubt he stays toe to toe with him the entire time. He's in way better shape and he knows it. Robert would gas out in less than a minute probably.

For the first scenario, I have no idea. I think it would be an epic battle though.

Word.

Yeah, I can only go off what I remeber reading. Maybe Leagon has some better input on it. I thought it was said that Robert was able to handle that thing better and quicker than most swordsman could handle their weapons. Could be wrong tho.

I think I remember Ned saying that. Which isn't surprising. "Most" swordsman includes everyone from Meryn Fucking Trant to volunteer gold cloaks. I doubt he could handle his warhammer as well as the elite swordsman.

Still, he was good enough with a sword to completely destroy a prime Jon Connington. The fact that he was better enough with a warhammer to choose that as his primary is terrifying.

With regards to the weapon specs from the books, George works with a website to recreate the weapons and uses it as a chance to retcon some of the more cartoonish stuff in the books after he does some research. Here's a replica of Robert's Warhammer that, according to GRRM, itakes precedence over the book description:

http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/swords/king-roberts-warhammer/prod_14.html

10 pounds, almost 4 feet long. Less than a foot shorter than Ice and half a foot longer than Longclaw.

Robert was fucking terrifying.

I wonder what Donal Noye was thinking when he was asked to forge that.

Well, I'm fairly shocked that prime Robert has such an advantage over prime Jaime in this poll. I always took prime Jaime to be the best fighter of his generation, Arthur Dayne -> Barristan Selmy -> Jaime Lannister.

Even if he should normally win against such a fighter, prime Jaime can't get the image of Robert getting finished off by Cersei over and over again while he stands watch out of his head, gets pissed, makes a mistake, and gets the snout of his lion helm caved in. Baratheon is in his head.

Personally, I think the comments about the war hammer were meant to be exaggerated. No way that hammer weighed 400 pounds. That said, it was a weapon few people could weild comfortably -and Robert did just that.

Not sure about GreatJon, if anything, they'd all be about as strong as one another. Roberts strength in his prime is well regarded and documented.

Its said that Ned was unable to wield it, which certainly means it was a large weapon (given Ned's proficiency with a greatsword). But 400 lbs is preposterous, a hammer of that size would definitely require inhumanly strength to wield. I can possibly see 100 lbs, but anything larger is too cumbersome even for someone with insane strength.

Robert was and is a legend by all means, but the way he's being hyped up right now is ridiculous.

Jaime is no pushover, his speed, wit, and finesses would allow him to beat Robert. It certainly wouldn't be a very long fight. If Jaime catches a single axe blow he's likely dead, and if Robert over-commits on a strike and finds himself a bit off balance I think Jaime counters and ends him.

400 lbs ofcourse is nonsense. Even 100 lbs would be far to heavy for any human to handily wield in battle. Even for Gregor.

I think 10-15 lbs would be more realistic. That's very heavy for a weapon that he could wield with one hand, considering most 2 handed swords don't even weight nearly that.

I wonder what Donal Noye was thinking when he was asked to forge that.

"Robert, you're saying 'warhammer,' but what you're describing is a handheld battering ram. I don't understand what you're planning to use it for."

"Just build it, Noye. God's sakes..."

And good point about him being in Jaime's head. Every time Mark Addy yelled "Kingslayer!" I lol'd.

Even if he should normally win against such a fighter, prime Jaime can't get the image of Robert getting finished off by Cersei over and over again while he stands watch out of his head, gets pissed, makes a mistake, and gets the snout of his lion helm caved in. Baratheon is in his head.

Might be in his head the same as Rhaegar was in Robert's.

Might be in his head the same as Rhaegar was in Robert's.

Might be. We know for a fact that Robert fights better enraged, but we don't know the same about Jaime like you say. IMO, anger is poison for a highly technical style.

Back