Best Elite WW grappler in history?

Maia looked goat grappling in ww and that was way past his prime.
Except against Shields and guys who could stuff most of his TDs. He was certainly good, though. I'd love to have seen him and Palhares go at it.

Maia got more takedowns and the most dangerous positions in the grappling. Shields got a couple reversals and sat in guard unable to advance. Shields won a controversial split decision, and a lot of it came down to a sloppy kickboxing match in round 5.

How anyone could watch that match and decide that one was definitively better than the other is beyond me.
I think Shields got the better of the grappling exchanges. I think Maia is the better grappler and I'm a fan of Maia, not Shields. It was a very close fight and the grappling was close too.

Reactions: mkt
In UFC Shields, Maia, GSP was fast learner but I remember him struggling locking certain subs where the other 2 would’ve got them imo.

Last edited:
Maia got more takedowns and the most dangerous positions in the grappling. Shields got a couple reversals and sat in guard unable to advance. Shields won a controversial split decision, and a lot of it came down to a sloppy kickboxing match in round 5.

How anyone could watch that match and decide that one was definitively better than the other is beyond me.

That's exactly how I remember the fight. I can see how people saw it for Shields, but I think it makes zero sense. Maia got on top. I'm sure Maia could have also just stayed in Shields guard and do nothing. But instead he improved position and got several dominant positions. There, to Shields credit, Shields escaped and got on top. Where he wasn't able to do anything.

Do we really want to punish Maia for actively seeking and getting dominant position? Even when he couldn't hold it, he should have been rewarded to it. Otherwise even world class BJJ wizards might be better advised to lay and pray than to go for it.

It's not like Shields battered him with GNP. Maia's dominant positions were the only significant events in the fight.

Against Askren, Shields, Maia and Pahares, I'm pretty confident GSP takes them in pure grappling.

You have more confidence in GSP than he does in himself. He didn't even want to grapple with Shields in MMA.

I still can’t believe Shields gets more credit for escaping bad positions and getting to Maias guard than Maia does for getting takedowns, passing guard, and never having his own guard passed.

why would khabib deserve a mention in a discussion of greatest WW grapplers?

It's obviously GSP...

But Maia ragdolling Fitch is still probably the most impressed I've been by a WW grappler.
We already knew his BJJ was elite, but him hitting singles all day in that fight, against another great grappler, was soooo nice to watch.

It's GSP by a country mile. He outgrappled every elite wrestler and guard player that existed in his division during the era.

Also no mention of Karo is criminal while mentioning a meathead like Palhares.
It took Koscheck everything he had to score one of the rare takedowns GSP ceded.
g6.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: mkt
It's probably Maia. GSP is not better than him on the ground. GSP's team would have a plan to stall Maia for a win in MMA . In a gi I don't think it will be close.

Galvao is pretty legit too as a grappler but he puffed up a little too much.

Toss-up between Dan Hardy and the male version of Cyborg. I'll never forget Cyborg getting pieced up on the feet by Nick Diaz, going for a desperation takedown then tapping like 3 seconds later.

Boys. You can't go saying Shields here after Lombard literally ragdolled him

If any of the people you mentioned could beat GSP grappling they would've done so when they fought in MMA.

Khabib deserves a mention? Did you not just make a thread about WW's?

Back