Best display of technical boxing in mma

I have a hard time putting people like Noons/Maldonado/JDS on lists like this because they are really good offensively, but their defense lacks. I can't call someone a great boxer if they don't have good defensive boxing.

Aldo and Edgar are two people that come to mind immediately. Real good head movement and actually try to avoid shots while throwing them. Nelson hit JDS square on the jaw multiple times, but got away with it because of how good of a chin JDS has. Noons gets hit a lot. Same with the Diaz brothers. They have great offensive movement, but their defense just relies on how good their chin is and someone who doesn't know how to cut off the cage can't be called a great boxer

Last edited:
tumblr_mbupptC9qP1rrwwgco1_r1_400.gif

564691513.gif

0-75817

I have a hard time putting people like Noons/Maldonado/JDS on lists like this because they are really good offensively, but their defense lacks. I can't call someone a great boxer of they don't have good defensive boxing.

Aldo and Edgar are two people that come to mind immediately. Real good head movement and actually try to avoid shots while throwing them. Nelson hit JDS square on the jaw multiple times, but go away with it because of how good of a chin JDS has. Noons gets hit a lot. Same with the Diaz brothers. They have great offensive movement, but their defense just relies on how good their chin is and someone who doesn't know how to cut off the cage can't be called a great boxer

I am a huge boxing fan especially now that most of my fav mma fighters are retired but When you apply it to mma the game changes a lot. Being defensive is much harder with 4 oz gloves. Shell up or get the hell out of the way are your main options. A guy with good reflexes like mayweather could have done well with training but thats the exception not the norm.

Michael Johnson has put on some boxing showcases as of late, as well.

I am a huge boxing fan especially now that most of my fav mma fighters are retired but When you apply it to mma the game changes a lot. Being defensive is much harder with 4 oz gloves. Shell up or get the hell out of the way are your main options. A guy with good reflexes like mayweather could have done well with training but thats the exception not the norm.

There are precious few great defensive fighters in boxing that ever relied on a high guard or "shelled up". For genuinely good defensive fighters, it comes down to posture, head movement, distance management, reflexes, and then, of course, smarts, more than shelling up or anything of that sort.

Rampage used to have some crisp boxing in both areas. Don't know what happened

There are precious few great defensive fighters in boxing that ever relied on a high guard or "shelled up". For genuinely good defensive fighters, it comes down to posture, head movement, distance management, reflexes, and then, of course, smarts, more than shelling up or anything of that sort.

A lot of the guys i watched in boxing just blocked a lot and balanced it with good offense. The kind of blocking that wouldn't work well in mma. I'd like to see some good defensive ones. I just now started getting back into it. I saw canelo alverez fight and his defense didn't look that great.

A lot of the guys i watched in boxing just blocked a lot and balanced it with good offense. The kind of blocking that wouldn't work well in mma. I'd like to see some good defensive ones. I just now started getting back into it. I saw canelo alverez fight and his defense didn't look that great.

I'm not calling blocking a bad defensive practice, but shelling up and relying on a high guard routinely will get you in trouble in either sport a lot of times. Canelo is decent defensively. Certainly not great, but half decent. Which fight of Canelo's did you watch?

I'm not calling blocking a bad defensive practice, but shelling up and relying on a high guard routinely will get you in trouble in either sport a lot of times. Canelo is decent defensively. Certainly not great, but half decent. Which fight of Canelo's did you watch?

his fight with mayweather. I know mayweather makes a lot of people look bad but his game plan to win from oscar was a poor one. So much for blue prints.

oh and i saw tim brad vs manny paq. how would you rate theirs?

Footwork and headmovement.... Cruz. But that will anger boxing guys.... cuz they're more pretentious than MMA fans when it comes to "there's a way things are done".

dominick-cruz.gif

rs62d3.gif

his fight with mayweather. I know mayweather makes a lot of people look bad but his game plan to win from oscar was a poor one. So much for blue prints.

oh and i saw tim brad vs manny paq. how would you rate theirs?

Well, the first thing anyone should do is stop listening to Oscar. Canelo is a natural counterpuncher (a lot of people are surprised by that, I don't know why). His performance against Floyd was similar to JMM's performance against Floyd in several ways (indeed, if I were to compare Canelo to another Mexican fighter, I'd likely choose Marquez). He tried to wait on Floyd and box with him, and frankly, that's not going to work for anyone for awhile. It was a bad style matchup and Canelo was made to look poor for stretches (though, he kept most rounds reasonably close even if he lost most of them).

It depends which Bradley/Pacquiao fight you're talking about.

Footwork and headmovement.... Cruz. But that will anger boxing guys.... cuz they're more pretentious than MMA fans when it comes to "there's a way things are done".

Not really. Sinister, to use a mod and boxing trainer from this site, has praised Cruz several times even if he does things a tad differently. There are countless styles and systems that people will claim within the sport of boxing. You're not likely to find much consensus when it comes to the way things are done.

Back