Best Display Of Techincal Boxing Vs Muay thai In Mma From Both Guys Pearson vs Barboz

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by The Art Of War, Jan 11, 2013.

1. The Art Of War

The Art Of War White Belt

First off if you havent seen this fight make sure to go watch it if, your a fan of technical striking you will love it unfortunatly theres no finish for all you just bleed fans lol not that i dont love a good finish myself.

With all the criticism boxers and muay thai fighters give mixed martial artists striking its nice to see the devolpment of striking in our rapidly evolving sport, guys like michael mcdonald,max holloway,wineland,pickett, renan barao,varner,swanson its good to see both the level of boxing and muay thai rising in the sport.

someone did a thread before on boxing muay thai match ups in mma before alot of people bought up diaz vs cerrone, kharitonov vs rizzo/ninja , page vs wanderlei/shogun and some others i forgot.

but if you compare pearson vs barboza to say diaz vs cerrone, diaz vs cerrone was diaz stalking plodding volume punching style boxing which was awesome to watch but not a typical looking boxing style against cerrone whos muay thai some people would say is abit more like western kickboxing than muay thai so to watch it didnt really look so much like a boxer vs a muay thai fighter where as pearson barboza did.

I think both guys showed the strengths and weakness of both styles and i kno the average nak muay believes muay thai to be a far superior art i dont wanna turn this into a which stand up art is better thread because well be here all day but me personally ima bigger fan of western boxing but i love both styles and think either of them can beat each other depending on the practioner .

You had edson baraboza trying to maintain kicking distance getting pearson with the low kick and throwing some well timed spinning back kicks not those usual sloppy ones you see in mma and sum good knees too, and with pearson you had excellent head movement darting in and out of the pocket throwing to the body a wide array of punches, good jab. good counters unfortunatetly neither guy landed any devastating shots a testiment to there technical defensive skill rather than lack of offense cause they were going at it !

Personally i would have given the decision to pearson but it was very close and can see how edsons flashier more diverse striking would impress the judges more but in my eyes pearson edged it .

Both guys have had recent loses barboza to varner and ross to swanson (both awesome fights) i think both guys will still get alot better and have good potential and if your a fan of good stand up make sure to watch this and there other fights !! sorry for the essay i just loved the clash of styles and i fink its a very underated fight.

2. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

It was a very entertaining bout. I thought Pearson had it in the bag as well, but hey...

3. NAKMUAY18

NAKMUAY18 Brown Belt

Fella stylistically Cerrone is way more Muay Thai than Barboza. Barboza uses a lot of TKD style kicks and movements, more of a kickboxer hybrid. Bang Ludwig and Cosmo Alexander are good nakmuays in MMA

4. devante

devante Silver Belt

Diaz showcased a particular brand of boxing..pressure..body punching..etc; it isnt the more dynamic..diverse boxing people like to associate with boxing. But Diaz was in fact boxing...and I too would say cerrone is more muay Thai than barboza..who has alot more flashy kicks and non traditional combinations.

5. devante

devante Silver Belt

Sidenote varner has very good boxing...NCAA champ; he doesn't always flash it, nut his hands are legit...edson felt that firsthand.

6. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Varner's boxing is alright. Defense is relatively crappy though he does use his legs well. But he's also a bullshit artist in the Cage. I meant to do a thread about guys like him a long time ago, but they stall. They'll do whatever it takes to halt the action and alleviate pressure on themselves.

7. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

Cheick Kongo? My friend and I joke that Cheick is the world's greatest escape artist. "Don't worry," we'll say, "Cheick'll make it out of this one."

+1 For Cosmo, as well.

Cosmo, however, is a good example to indicate that pure Muay Thai is not enough for MMA. He's been training heavily in boxing since coming to MMA. A lot of people would probably ask why such a decorated striker would train in a striking art rather than simply work on bettering his ground game and already impressive standup skills. But I think that Cosmo recognizes (unlike Donald Cerrone, it seems sometimes) that boxing has a lot to offer in terms of defense when facing punch-heavy opposition. Cosmo used to cover up all the time. Lately he's been showing much improved head movement and combination punching, as well as footwork.

Dude still kicks like a fuckin' mule, and has brutal knees. And his ground game is pretty legit, from what we've seen so far. Hopefully he gets better competition soon, and we see him in the welterweight tournament!

8. Sinister

I don't know if we're talking about the same thing with Kongo. Varner does tricky shit to avoid fighting or having to fight back...in the middle of a fight. Dropping the mouthpiece, calling an actual time-out with his hands, walking around, etc.

9. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

Kongo is a big fan of the low blow, so much so that they can only be intentional at this point. He's like a Gilbert Yvel that plays the nice guy. And he has a talent for landing kicks from a range that suits him best to appear to be outworking his opponent.

Edit: In what fight did Varner call a time-out? That's some silly shit.

10. Sinister

I want to say one of the Cerrone bouts, but the back of my brain is telling me that wasn't it. He did both of those, he lost his mouthpiece, then looked at the ref (playing the ref, Hopkins does that one a lot) made the "T" with his hands and pointed to it. The ref complied, put each guy to their neutral corner, and Varner got two things. His mouthpiece back, and a break.

11. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

On a certain level I respect gamesmanship. I have no problem with guys punching on the side the ref can't see, or guys who use their head to grind in and open up lanes for punches. I see those things like tackling in soccer. If the ref doesn't call it, then just give it right back to the other guy.

But the mouthpiece thing, or deliberately cup-checking someone--those strike me as unsportsmanlike.

12. Sinister

That's one of the reasons I dislike watching Varner fight (that and he's whiny). I don't deny his ability, but if he can get out of USING that ability, he will. Some see that as smart, but I kinda see that as gip'ing the audience. Don't try to trick me into THINKING you're kicking the other guy's ass, just kick his ass.

13. Sanshou Kid

Sanshou Kid Brown Belt

In the Guillard fight, I swear Varner had him backed up on the fence about 5 times and would just go "nah" and walk back and let him back in.

I thought it was because of fatigue, but now i'm not so sure.

Plus him nailing a f'n Fade To Black on Melvin didn't help!

14. devante

devante Silver Belt

I agree with the sentiment but the fact is it works with judges and against his opponents; fans see right through it as do fighters who observe him..but in the midst of a fight he makes the most of these tactics to get out of bad spots.

Its up to the fighters to figure it out or ignore it...part of the reason it works is because the dude CAN fight; if he couldn't those tactics wouldn't have a chance at working this late in his career.

15. Sinister

Like I said, I don't disagree with any of that. I just think it sucks.

16. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

We agree on that. As someone who trains, I can understand. As a fan? It's very shitty to watch.

17. aries

aries Silver Belt

Varner has nothing on Josh Koscheck.

18. Bay Area

Bay Area Silver Belt

Which is why I hate watching hopkins fight. He clinches up every time he lands on his opponent. Dude is the most boring fighter in combat sports.

19. Sinister

Dont agree with that at all. Diego Sanchez vs. Josh Koscheck was the worst fight Ive ever seen. And Hopkins most recent fights aside from the second Jones fiasco were all entertaining.

20. Bay Area

Bay Area Silver Belt

Will you agree that he clinches 20 - 30 times a round? The man is a sport killer