Best Discipline For Self Defense?

plus one for Krav Maga, I have been doing it since 1998 and love it, trained and sparred with BJJ guys and its hands down a better system for street.

plus one for Krav Maga, I have been doing it since 1998 and love it, trained and sparred with BJJ guys and its hands down a better system for street.

So sparring with BJJ guys proves to you that Krava Maga is better for the street....hmmm

So sparring with BJJ guys proves to you that Krava Maga is better for the street....hmmm

Yes.

BJJ against multiple opponents? BJJ against weapons? BJJ in service as a fighting system used by soldiers to kill other soldiers?

I'll stick with Krav Maga.

I have been tapped with oma plata's, knee bars and triangles, but if I were to engage a person defending myself in a fight on the street I would prefer not to be rolling around on the ground entwined in someones arms, legs or neck while his homeboy plays Bend It Like Beckham with the back of my head.

Yes.

BJJ against multiple opponents? BJJ against weapons? BJJ in service as a fighting system used by soldiers to kill other soldiers?

I'll stick with Krav Maga.

I have been tapped with oma plata's, knee bars and triangles, but if I were to engage a person defending myself in a fight on the street I would prefer not to be rolling around on the ground entwined in someones arms, legs or neck while his homeboy plays Bend It Like Beckham with the back of my head.

While I agree with some of your comments, I believe US Army Combatives include a lot of BJJ techniques/training.

While I agree with some of your comments, I believe US Army Combatives include a lot of BJJ techniques/training.

Every modern fighting system uses something from something, Krav Maga uses kicks from Tae Kwon Do, strikes from Muay Thai and chokes from BJJ. All encompassing self defense systems pick and chose what works and throws away what doesn't.

No where did I state or infere that BJJ was bad, just not as all encompassing as Krav Maga.

Hell Marine Corps line drills are almost Krav Maga move for move.

HEY THE REAL ANSWER IS THIS:

For Striking:
Learn how to BOX

Develops power and accuracy into your punches.

For the Ground:
Learn how to WRESTLE

If you have multiple attackers it'll help you stay standing
If its 1 on 1 you can take him down and Ground and Pound!!!!

then branch out from there into stuff like Krav Maga, but start with Boxing and Wrestling because it will condition your body, teach you technique, and make you safer quicker. Then, finish off with Krav Maga to polish up and get the total "mindset" if you will

The "go ape shit" technique taught at the School of Murder Death Kill has seen great success since the dawn of man...

The best martial art for self defense is a longterm dedication to both muay thai and brazilian jiu jitsu, and you'd be wise to wrestle and box too. People are underprepared for real street situations until they have a wealth of experience and practice, and are physically fit as well. Avoid physical altercations when possible.

I think BJJ and REAL Krav Maga... The people I know who have done real Krav Maga fucking destroy me.

A lot of it, however, is how you take a punch and if you're afraid of a fight.

Street attacks are 99% emotionally based. No offence, but it would be mighty hard to think underhooks, overhooks, guillotine or w/e.. when faced with an extremely angry person screaming obscenities then proceding to attack you.
In a gym or in training, you have consent, awareness, safety of knowing the guy wont pull a knife when you tap from an armbar or get TKO'd or even need a break.. you know? None of those are gauruntees in the street. You never know if the guy has friends, or has a weapon.

My advice is go ape shit. rip out eyes, hair, ears (it only takes 7 pounds of pressure to tear off a human ear) take out the throat, bend anything the way its not supposed to go. nomsayin? Just go fearal. Switch the predator to prey mentality and just go fuckin crazy. Thats what I'd do. I remember reading a story of a mother and daughter who's house was broken into. They came home, the robber saw them, grabbed a fire poker and started swinging. He broke the mothers arm and fractured her skull. He then grabbed the daughter and slammed her through the drywall. The mother, seeing this, gets up and goes fucking crazy. Jumps on the robber, and just starts ripping and tearing at anything she can. the robber, scared shitless runs away. We should be taking self defense from that girl instead of 99% of people who claim to know.

And I don't care if someone says its a "cheap shot" or whatever. I'm not gonna let some stranger (who mind you, i don't know if they have a weapon or friends around) fuck with my life, my job that I've worked so hard for, my education; I'll do whatever it takes to make sure my physical well being is not tampered with. If that means some groin shots, then so be it. I bet everyone has seen the video of the chinese guy getting mugged by now, I don't think anyone would have called cheap shot had the victim kicked the other guys in the nuts and tore out some eyes to get away. I would have commended it.

Do an all encompassing MMA class or boxing/MT and BJJ separately to develop the proper fundamentals. Learn all the street shit in Krav and tie everything up with some knife fighting and your on your way to being someone who is seriously not to be fucked with.

HEY THE REAL ANSWER IS THIS:

For Striking:
Learn how to BOX

Develops power and accuracy into your punches.

For the Ground:
Learn how to WRESTLE

If you have multiple attackers it'll help you stay standing
If its 1 on 1 you can take him down and Ground and Pound!!!!

then branch out from there into stuff like Krav Maga, but start with Boxing and Wrestling because it will condition your body, teach you technique, and make you safer quicker. Then, finish off with Krav Maga to polish up and get the total "mindset" if you will

I think this makes a lot of sense. In general, any combination of a solid striking art and a solid grappling art, both with loads of focus on sparring and physical conditioning, would probably be fine.

However, I think boxing and wrestling (and judo for that matter) are currently rather undervalued compared with MT and BJJ, because of MMA's popularity.

You won't apply a lot of advanced techniques (high kicks, triangles or whatever) anyway when you're attacked, so any tough and sparring-focused sport that gets you used to hitting, getting hit, and clinching/rolling around on the ground with other people should be fine.

I'm sure Krav Maga would be great as an addition too. As long as there is enough sparring in the classes, maybe it would even suffice in its own right.

Parkour.

To many altercations especially in my home town end with somebody being stabbed to death, do yourself a favour and learn how to escape those situations by being able to outrun,climb and manouvre the nutters.

Back