best discipline for me to learn?

shouldercharge

Dave Camarillo idoliser
Reaction score
im looking at doing a grappling discipline (aikido,hapkido,judo,jiu jitsu or ? ) as part of training for next rugby league season so im not very interested in submission or ground fighting more grapling and take downs. what do people believe would be the besy discipline for me?

i will be doing my normal weights and cardio and picking up a stand-up technique at the same time probably boxing or kick boxing my aim is to improve my rugby first and foremost. and secondly to become a better real world fighter/street fighter for selfe defense.

Wrestling would be my guess, but wouldn't practicing Rugby be you're best bet?

For stand up grappling: I'd say Judo or wrestling.

I've done both and found that I prefer Judo but thats just my opinion.

i'll be doing this over the off season (when we have no team practise) alot of professional league clubs are bringing in judo and jiu jitsu instructors to help in the tackle area.

judo will help you more when the tackle is held up and you can secure his jersey and you want to trip or flip him onto his back.

Greco roman wrestling is similar but involves grips that dont use the uniform as much as judo.

folk/freestyle will help you more with attacking the legs in a traditional tackle style, and keeping the guys back on the ground once he's down.

Brazilian Jiu jitsu will do a mixture of the above but is really concentrated more on the type of stuff you're now not allowed to do in rugby - chokes- (grapple tackle), neck cranks (crusher), sholder locks (chicken wing) etc etc.

So for getting the guy down- judo or greco, for controlling him once he's down/ getting better at getting to your feet Bjj or wrestling.

all will help with your balance, core strength, cardio and coordination, so go for it.

Judo is probably the easiest one to find (if you're an aussie), but if possible try all 4 and see which one you like best.

forget about akido, Japanese JJ, Hapkido etc etc. Waste of time and money.

For assistance in Rugby? Freestyle or Greco-Roman Wrestling

BJJ's a great art, tons of benefits, but it won't help your athleticism as much as wrestling

Taking Aikido, JJJ, Hapkido in this country is like playing Russian Roulette with only one empty chamber, I wouldn't count on most of the places here to be legit

For assistance in Rugby? Freestyle or Greco-Roman Wrestling

BJJ's a great art, tons of benefits, but it won't help your athleticism as much as wrestling

Taking Aikido, JJJ, Hapkido in this country is like playing Russian Roulette with only one empty chamber, I wouldn't count on most of the places here to be legit

This guy knows. I would say wrestling of any kind would be great for rugby because you'll learn to ankle pick and single leg which are pretty easily executed and dont really require to much strength.

Wrestling is probably your best bet. I started wrestling before playing rugby in high school. It was basically expected that if you were on the wrestling team you would play rugby. Wrestling is a great workout and it gets you used to pushing against people. Somewhat like in the scrum, ruck or maul.

wrestling-best grappling art to start w/imo if u can wrestle/box u will tool 90% of the people u come across, an be competitive w/the other 10%

wrestling. Here is the US most people don't take up rugby until college and the athletes that transition best into rugby are the wrestlers, they usually transition better than the American Football players. If you can find Greco even better since tripping isn't allowed in rugby.

not if you wear ear protection.

let me guess, you're a back right?

Don't be surprised if you end up wanting to ditch rugby and focus fully on grappling!

no im a forward,loose forward mainly(13) or sometimes prop im 5'7 93kg 18% bf

Jujutsu - Fuji Ryu Goshindo - Christchurch, New Zealand - Home

how does this look? it is the jujutsu taken here

http://crichtoncobbers.co.nz/ti****ble.htm

will look at doing this on tuesday and thursday and mybe either judo mon wens or because i believe theres a high judo content in there jujitsu taking TKD mon wen friday.
maybe with a boxing lass at weekends just to add to self defence

i'll be getting the stand up grappling,throws,and takedowns im after for rugby.
plus TKD and judo are two martial arts that i could see me doing as a sport too.
i'd also say what ever i take would be good fitness.

any comments? i'm still tempted to take muay thai.

the link is supposed to say .co.nz/time
table for some reason it comes up as being profanity??

Um, if you want to get good at rugby you really should be practicing rugby (ie the various drills that a good team does).

Back