Best detective looking for serial killer movies

God damn that ring girl pic on page 1.

If you like older set movies try this. Pretty awesome. And if you are not familiar with this Jack the ripper theory you are in for a treat.
from-hell-movie-poster-2001-1010476197.jpg

i saw the devil was great

I enjoyed true detective s1 although that's a tv show

Manhunter is the tits

Cox is a better Lecter than Hopkins too

This isn't a traditional detective film, it's more about a detective going crazy because he's seen too much. Great film though

MV5_BMj_I0_NTk4_Nj_A3_OV5_BMl5_Ban_Bn_Xk_Ft_ZTcw_NTUw_OTc2_NA_._V1_UY1200_CR78.jpg

So how similar are Manhunter and Red Dragon the movie? I've only seen Red Dargon but now I feel like I need to check out Manhunter...

So how similar are Manhunter and Red Dragon the movie? I've only seen Red Dargon but now I feel like I need to check out Manhunter...
The main complaint about MANHUNTER is that it feels dated, on top of which it's Michael Mann who marches to the beat of a different drum in terms of popular cinema. The music and the artistry might be a little weird, especially compared to the slick and glossy RED DRAGON. I feel that RED DRAGON may be easier on the eyes but wastes its actors big-time with genre material whereas MANHUNTER and Mann are able to turn common procedurals into something special.

I can't really remember much about Red Dragon tbh. I just remember thinking it was pretty ordinary. But Manhunter is like quintessentially 80's and essential Michael Mann, so it definitely has standout qualities and its own aesthetic. Although like TGF says you could look at it as being dated

Manhunt: Unabomber miniseries (10 eps) on Netflix is very, very good. If you're into serial killer stories you're going to like this one.

In terms of movies, Seven and Zodiac are the best. Citizen X was very good too.

Not serial killer, but Primal Fear with Edward Norton playing a shy altar boy with multiple personalities was great.

Mr. Brooks.

Kind of surprised to not have seen it mentioned (unless I missed it). Great movie, awesome cast, but it seems to fly under the radar for some reason. I guess it could be that the internet "hive mind" has decided that they hate Kevin Costner, but the movie is great and fits well in this thread.

I just rewatched this like last year cause my wife had never seen it. Good movie.

Prisoners, I think it falls into the category.

Henry portrait of a serial killer is amazing.

I saw the devil, brutal.

Cruising with Pacino, dark tale of homo serial killer.

True detective was up there with Breaking Bad

Pretty self explanitory. Which ones are the best? I've been reading kiss the girls which is actually a movie i may try and re-watching true detective season 1 so I'm clearly in the mood for this genre.

I JUST watched this last weekend, fucking incredible movie. I got mad Hayao Miyazaki vibes from the shots and score of this movie, was wierd af.

also the one scene where we see the guy in action - chills. freaked me the fuck out when it happened

I'd like to suggest BJH's other murder/mystery movie: Mother

it is a semi-detective drama but the mystery itself is so fucking good and has a super satisfying ending

others muder mysteries not already mentioned: Mystic River, Minority Report, The Name of the Rose,

I can't really remember much about Red Dragon tbh. I just remember thinking it was pretty ordinary. But Manhunter is like quintessentially 80's and essential Michael Mann, so it definitely has standout qualities and its own aesthetic. Although like TGF says you could look at it as being dated

I enjoyed both movies yet I always felt Manhunter was a little better.

Back