Best defence against a knife attack?

RUN, failing being able to run you pick up something that will equalise it... throw dirt, a plank of wood a brick anything. Watch Dan Inosanto's videos, he demonstrates alot of filipino knife techniques and defense... the filipino's are the best when it comes to this as the use of the knife is ingrained in their culture.

Thought some of you would like a look at this, a short video of STAB, a last-resort knife defense system developed by Karl Tanswell, a british martial artist who was stabbed seven times himself and survived. Afterwards he critically reviewed what he had been taught about knife defence and came to the conclusion that a lot of it was crap. His system is heavily based around the wrestling two-on-one grip, and other MMA clinch concepts adapted to knife defence. In essence, it assumes(which is true in a majority of cases), by the time you know a knife is involved, you are already at clinch range, and running away isn´t an option.

I´ve seen an instructional on it, and it´s IMO the best system for an incredibly bad situation to be in.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7410961341925544918&q=Karl+Tanswell&pl=true

It all depends on the knife and type of attack. Is it a slashing tanto-style knife or a more typical straight thrusting dagger? Is he using a stamndard or reverse grip? Will the attack be a straight thrust, a horizontal slash, a reverse grip slash, a rising stab or a stereotypical Slasher style overhand stab?

Sohei said:
It all depends on the knife and type of attack. Is it a slashing tanto-style knife or a more typical straight thrusting dagger? Is he using a stamndard or reverse grip? Will the attack be a straight thrust, a horizontal slash, a reverse grip slash, a rising stab or a stereotypical Slasher style overhand stab?

Chances are you won

Darwinist said:
Thought some of you would like a look at this, a short video of STAB, a last-resort knife defense system developed by Karl Tanswell, a british martial artist who was stabbed seven times himself and survived. Afterwards he critically reviewed what he had been taught about knife defence and came to the conclusion that a lot of it was crap. His system is heavily based around the wrestling two-on-one grip, and other MMA clinch concepts adapted to knife defence. In essence, it assumes(which is true in a majority of cases), by the time you know a knife is involved, you are already at clinch range, and running away isn

Soulfly said:
But what can you do besides the tieup 2 on one position? Besides the chest-armbar and knees / stomps, there isn't much. Taking it to the ground via trip could leave you falling on a knife or the opponent in a better position.

I guess you could always ura-nage / back suplex the guy then run.

Well, 1st off your first priority is to control the knife hand so you don

If you cant run I'd say a brick or two. Smash him in the face and that should slow him down.

Ideally if theres no gun an axe or sword. :D

stav said:
Here is a NO BULLSHIT demonstration on knife defence and y its BEST TO RUN when u have the option. If u dont have the option u better KO the mother fucker fast!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3314413849946719103

Take not of this video. Look what the knife does to the side of beef...imagine what it will do to your body or arm.

That video was very informative. I have studied a lot of diferent techniques to defend against a knife attak. I have always thought they were BS.

I trained in the STAB system one day from a friend who is a tactical self defense
instructor from the military.

I was unbelievably sore afterwards, didn't help that my partner was a huge strong
athlete.

the main thing was that when learning knife defense we practice the art with an open mind,
and then go train in other styles and decide what works for you.

Thanks for post on Karl Tanswell,nice and informative.Not seen any of his stuff so that was a nice discovery.

i know a guy who got a knife taken on him he went beserk and pused the guys blade through hid hand and started whailing away at him with ther other

learn kali filipino ma, basicly the BEST for doing stuff with knives

gun > kali > mma > bjj

It is not as easy to draw your gun under pressure either. I have trained these types of attacks and by the time you fumble with your holster you are stabbed. If someone is even reaching you better be fast. They have thought and committed. Same goes for a firearm. Until your mind registers your opponent has drawn already. Try some mock drills where you are 2 feet apart and have a 3rd yell knife or gun and see how fast you draw. In law enforcement they say 21 feet and a cop can shoot. Thats bullshit. You are rushed and stabbed before you weapon is out. Check out some of Tony Blauer's stuff. Very good and practical. Large mma base. Best I have seen to this point.

"stab his own knife right here in his liver"

I carry my own knife, but if someone demanded my wallet I'd give it to them (if they were armed, that is). I'd run first, then pull my knife if i had to.

Things to consider about knife defense:

-It is considered so difficult and unlikely because asking how to defend a knife attack is like asking how to be able to get in a fight and not get hit once. Most people at first consider a successful knife defense one that leave you completely uncut. Unless your opponent/assailant is a total tool, the fight will not go 100% how you want it to.

-If you are training martial arts for street defense and not competition, ditch the boxing-type blocks. What I mean is get rid of the punch defenses where you use your forearms and elbows to block the punch. Assume every punch is a knife attack, since IN THE MAJORITY OF KNIFE ATTACKS, THE VICTIM NEVER SAW THE KNIFE.

-The whole "Just run" thing has been going on too long in these forums. Yes, ideally, you want to run, but you're all assuming that our assailants are slower than us. If someone is pissed enough at you to pull a knife, I think there's a good chance they'd chase you. So while running is the ideal thing to do, shit doesn't always go your way.

-Distancing is going to be the key. You either want to be too far away from him, or you want to have a solid clinch position where he is too close to hurt you.

-I think the best stance to take would be a traditional Muay Thai stance. Weight mostly on the back foot, keeping your front foot light, hands out wide and halfway between you and him. However, I might turn my palms in slightly, to avoid taking slashes to the artery. The reason I'd choose this stance is because it's very defensive/counterattacking in nature. You pretty much eliminate his ability to come at you with any kind of hooking attack, since your forearms would just block the hook. His only option is to come down the middle. You can parry to a clinch, or since you know he's only coming down the middle, you can just circle away every time he moves his arm. The weight is off your front foot so you can teep kick him to keep distance, or give him a good shot to the groin.

-Ideally, though, I would not keep myself empty-handed. The above is just what I'd do if I had no other option. First thing I would look for is a chair, like someone else mentioned. The belt is also a great idea. Anything can be used as a weapon, but they are classified into two groups: damage and destraction. The belt, or the chair, can be used as damage weapons. You can hit him, block with the weapon, etc., and cause a degree of damage. I might use a hot sauce bottle, a rock, or a handful of change to throw in his eyes and destract him before either running or using an attack of my own.

First thing that comes to mind with a distraction would be brandishing a bottle like a weapon, then suddenly throwing it at his face (if you just picked it up and immediately drew back to throw, he might know it's coming, so he could just move). The moment after you throw it, groin kick as hard as you can, and either run or use seriously damaging attacks. Striking to the back of the head and spine with a lot of force should put him down and out.

-Again, though, a lot of times you don't even know the guy has a knife; it just looks like a haymaker punch. So I would take relatively the same approach for any kind of a street attack.

-If you know he has a knife, the mentality you should probably keep is "I'm probably going to get cut, but I will make it through this alive." Although it's obviously easier said than done, keeping yourself relaxed will be key. If you panic, you're just going to bleed out faster when you get cut.

-I'm not sure if I've ever heard this suggested, but try to reason with the guy. And the stance I mentioned above does not have such an offensive gesture as a streetfighting stance. Use defensive body and spoken language. "Alright man, come on, you win." "Hey man, alright, I was wrong, I'm sorry." Your hands are out, not clenched, almost like you're saying "Okay, okay, I'm backing off." As MMA enthusiasts this is hard to imagine for us; we are in such a testosterone-based sport that the thought of backing down can be sickening. But you need to really think about when fighting is worth it. No wallet, no amount of money, no possession is worth your life. And no, saving face is not worth your life, either.

We have trouble making a distinction between honor and face. Admitting you are wrong, or taking a submissive and persuasive action rather than an aggressive action has nothing to do with your honor. If this man is asking for your money, or if you just pissed him off somehow, you have nothing to prove. You really want to die because of a measly wallet, or an exchange of words? Fighting in this situation is only helping you save face, not honor.

If this guy has touched or threatened your family or your loved ones, if he's an enemy in war, then these are matters of honor. Those are things you fight for and risk your life for.

-Total and real-world self defense is as psychological and sociological as it is physical (if not moreso). Knife attacks do not just happen out of thin air, unless you're dealing with a psychopathic attack or assassination, which is rare but possible. You need to learn how to read body language, and how to assess situations. Be aware of where you're traveling, and try not to be alone in shady-looking areas. Don't go out and start shit because you're a martial artist, and don't instigate conflict. Bas Rutten made a great point in his streetfighting DVD. Whenever he's out in public, and someone gets close to him, he puts one hand to his chin and the other hand in the pit of the other elbow, while keeping his chin slightly down (like he's pondering something). It looks totally natural, but allows you to keep your hands up and chin down. While in this position, always keep an eye on what the persons hands are doing.

To make a long story short, high-percentage knife defense needs to be pre-emptive. Physical self defense (including running) must always be a last resort maneuver. Although they are last resort, there IS benefit in training physical self defense moves, because if something goes wrong, it's always good to know what will give you the best chance of coming out alive. When in a situation where your honor (HONOR, not face or "rep") is NOT at stake, approach the entire situation as defensively and submissively as possible. It's like the "Would you punch a guy with glasses?" cliche. It's a hell of a lot easier to stab someone who you're extremely angry at and he's got his dukes up, than it is to hurt someone who is just trying to stay out of the situation altogether.

-I'm not sure if I've ever heard this suggested, but try to reason with the guy. And the stance I mentioned above does not have such an offensive gesture as a streetfighting stance. Use defensive body and spoken language. "Alright man, come on, you win." "Hey man, alright, I was wrong, I'm sorry." Your hands are out, not clenched, almost like you're saying "Okay, okay, I'm backing off." As MMA enthusiasts this is hard to imagine for us; we are in such a testosterone-based sport that the thought of backing down can be sickening. But you need to really think about when fighting is worth it. No wallet, no amount of money, no possession is worth your life. And no, saving face is not worth your life, either.

That's a very good tip if he just stands ready to stab.

Excactly the same I did when I was confronted with the guy who pulled of his knife against me after I kicked his ass in the pub.

I felt like I was a coward even the bar tender was laughing after I went(run) away from the this scary situation bc she knew the guy but that guy was probably going to stab bc he was desperate too when I kicked his ass and we were both under influence...

Anyway I think I saved my ass out this fight !

you all need to really get out there and knife spar.

Running is obviously number 1 choice but if u cant run i would grab the knife, at least that way you know where it is is and where it cant go if you've got it. If you try to kick it or block it, you are likely to annoy the attacker an a kick or a block isnt a complete disarm

Back