Best Danaher Instructional so far?

JinKazama

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I know he has released a bunch and Ive held off so far cause of the price

the 2 that have caught my attention so far are the Guard Retention one and the Escapes Instructional, might see how the prices go down on Black Friday before pulling the trigger

for those who have them all, which do you think is his best set?

the 2 that have caught my attention so far are the Guard Retention one and the Escapes Instructional, might see how the prices go down on Black Friday before pulling the trigger

The best for me was the leglock one, but it's useful only if you want to enter that game

The back control is good, for gi or no gi, the straight jacket system is awesome, open a lot of subs and helps on your retention

I've seen the back, and the front headlock. I love both but the back system is more compete between the two

Back is my favorite.

Escapes is ok, in my opinion it's not super revolutionary in either subject or organization. It's good but you have to sit through Danaher which is not worth it for me.

Bruno Frazzato has a guard retention DVD at digitisu that is good for far less.

I like the back control one the best. The leg lock one is good and the triangle one is revolutionary as well.

That said, I’ve only watched like 25 minutes total of each series. I just can’t get through them.

It boggles my mind that there are people who actually enjoy listening to him drone on and on.

efficiency in communication is what he lacks

I like the back control one the best. The leg lock one is good and the triangle one is revolutionary as well.

That said, I’ve only watched like 25 minutes total of each series. I just can’t get through them.

It boggles my mind that there are people who actually enjoy listening to him drone on and on.
Not everyones. Cup of tea

I agree he is big on theory but not big on the theory of efficient teaching through a dvd set.

There are entire volumes you can skip with the escapes dvd set, ENTIRE VOLUMES.

That said the technique is super solid.

Honestly, they're all excellent, at least the ones I've seen. Danaher's systematic organization and problem-solving approach is a cut above even good DVD's on the same technique area. I think my favorite is leglocks, and then probably the back attacks. I watched the Guard retention one and it was good but maybe could have been 4 discs instead of 8.

Pro tip: watch them at 1.5 speed!!!

Last edited:
I have no idea since I have watched only 3 of them, but the escape one teached me how to do a proper elbow escape, after 7 years of training.
No instructors or other videos I saw told me the detail that make it work, pointing the knee towards the mat.

Considering that the elbow escape is arguably the most important technique in jiu jitsu because it is the backbone of every escape form bottom, that detail alone is worth gold.

I think "best" is subjective, even if I want to get better at finishing, I need to get better at escapes.

I have no idea since I have watched only 3 of them, but the escape one teached me how to do a proper elbow escape, after 7 years of training.
No instructors or other videos I saw told me the detail that make it work, pointing the knee towards the mat.

Considering that the elbow escape is arguably the most important technique in jiu jitsu because it is the backbone of every escape form bottom, that detail alone is worth gold.

I think "best" is subjective, even if I want to get better at finishing, I need to get better at escapes.

Those massive DVD sets (8 dvds) feel like mining, we are looking for gems, and there are gems, but there's a shit load of basic stuff and uneccessary yapping.

Those massive DVD sets (8 dvds) feel like mining, we are looking for gems, and there are gems, but there's a shit load of basic stuff and uneccessary yapping.

One thing I wonder about other people who watch the Danaher DVD's is how many connect with his teaching style, and how many find his teaching style an insurmountable barrier to accessing the curriculum. I personally see the talky stuff as a (mostly) necessary framework to understanding the strengths and weaknesses involved with the position, and even though it can be tedious I see it as central to his problem-solving approach. But maybe that's just me.

It's good but you have to sit through Danaher which is not worth it for me.

Man he gets under my skin too but some guys he doesn't bother. I feel like danahers personality is like the equivalent of cilantro, where it tastes fine for some people but for others it's like soap. Having to listen to him prattle on like he thinks he's some Jiu-Jitsu Socrates definitely is like the taste of soap in my brain.

Dammit I wish Relson would release a DVD. He's hilarious and a great instructor. His accent is friggin impossible though

You just missed Labor Day sale of 30% off.
He talks way too much for me.

I usually watch videos at 1.5x speed the first round through and jot notes with times.

How does he compare to RyanHalls sets?

You just missed Labor Day sale of 30% off.
He talks way too much for me.

I usually watch videos at 1.5x speed the first round through and jot notes with times.

How does he compare to RyanHalls sets?
The back sets are comparable. Ryan covers more entries and John covers more alternative moves both are great but if you are scrapped on cash then get the hall set.

Man he gets under my skin too but some guys he doesn't bother. I feel like danahers personality is like the equivalent of cilantro, where it tastes fine for some people but for others it's like soap. Having to listen to him prattle on like he thinks he's some Jiu-Jitsu Socrates definitely is like the taste of soap in my brain.

I don't like his personality, but I respect the hell out of his teaching. He is a brilliant guy.

The back sets are comparable. Ryan covers more entries and John covers more alternative moves both are great but if you are scrapped on cash then get the hall set.

Danaher's back attack system is easily superior to Hall's in my opinion; much simpler and more direct to the goal of the finish. My only complaint with the Danaher dvd is that there aren't more entries, seems like he keeps coming back to the same crucifix back take over and over again.

Honestly, they're all excellent, at least the ones I've seen. Danaher's systematic organization and problem-solving approach is a cut above even good DVD's on the same technique area. I think my favorite is leglocks, and then probably the back attacks. I watched the Guard retention one and it was good but maybe could have been 4 discs instead of 8.

Pro tip: watch them at 1.5 speed!!!

He’s polarizing as Ryan Hall was with his sets. People made fun of his constant eye blinking, his arrogant mannerism and his habit to ad lib and use references that unless you know about boxing or certain bjj practitioners style you would be frustrated. But what did come across was his sincerity to explain what his concepts and insights into bjj and certain techniques is undisputed to me.

I rewatch his sets and it’s like a blue print of what is modern bjj in many ways. Gordon Ryan uses an open guard entry and to me, it’s very influenced by Hall’s insights. Danaher preaches the importance of grip fighting and so did Hall. Of course Marcelo Garcia is very focused on grip fighting. I think his x guard starts off with understanding grip fighting before he even covers x guard.

Lachlan has a different take where he tries to create an encyclopedia which can be a resource and not just some cool techniques about a subject.

Danaher is very specific about the do and donts. He teaches a system based only on high percentage techniques and is highly focused on principles where he hopes once you grasp those principles you can eventually create your own game and as he says repeatedly, you with his finger pointing at you can problem solve and figure things out for yourself.

Most instructors are not trained as teachers and some were as lower belts forced to teach or they have an innate ability to understand how to teach.

I do get frustrated with the slow pace but find I have difficulty watching Hall as well. I believe it has to do with the Internet which has trained us to want things short so we can be moved along to more clickbait.

It’s ironic Danaher has taken to social media readily but still mentions how a small notepad and pen to write his thoughts is still what he does.

I find Danaher instructionals ironically an easier actionable approach because it is a system that you can follow. Many on social media ranging from novice to higher belts are big fans and I can relate to that because it’s not the latest marketing hype.

Who would of thought Fundamental sets at very high cost would sell and have demand? Maybe he’s doing something right.

I think people expect secret mind blowing techniques which is ironic since so many bjj guys hate TMA.

I didn’t buy into the Ryan Hall hype but relented and was surprised at how good some of his sets were. His guard passing set even covers the far on the knees passing. His defensive guard wasn’t as good. But he was the one who introduced the layer of distance which so many reference or present as if it was their own.

On another note, anyone know about Aaron Milam?

Danaher's back attack system is easily superior to Hall's in my opinion; much simpler and more direct to the goal of the finish. My only complaint with the Danaher dvd is that there aren't more entries, seems like he keeps coming back to the same crucifix back take over and over again.
You can't go wrong with either.

I understood Danahers more but that has to do with me being a lower skill level when I found the hall set. Rewatching them the other day the concepts clicked a lot more

Back