Best combination of handspeed and power

for me, roy jones at middleweight, his power was actually scary to see at that weight, like watching a middleweight get hit by a heavyweight. Tyson, for my money could land combinations even faster than roy, that may sound heretical but I believe it, I don't think he was quite the puncher roy or other heavyweights were. Too many fights where he clobbered guys and they were still standing, Pinklon thomas is a great example, he didn't even look hurt against tyson, just tired and uncommitted. Sugar Ray Robinson at Welter held the accolade for "best combination of speed and power" until roy came along, tommy hearns had great speed the night he fought duran and hagler, he never had the fluidity and coordination of roy and Ray but he's up there, for single punch, he may have been faster, just didn't have the synchronicity. In the early days of Edwin rosarios career, many people thought he was a great combo of speed and power, i never thought his hands were that fast but he sure was powerful. Duran was said to be fast at lightweight, i thought he was fast but not like some of these other guys, he must have been pretty quick to befuddle ray the first time and to give Hagler what Marvin called his toughest fight even as an overweight middleweight.

Leonard comes to mind.
leonard was definitely underrated in the power dept. power in both hands and commitment. Great left hook and like Ray Robinson, was not shy about throwing wild, looping right hands. He beat hearns slugging after all and I always thought he got Haglers respect early in their fight.

No way Duran gave him a harder time than Mugabi.
i'm not sure if he actually said that, i'm at the point where i have so many quotes and trivia in my head that my memory may be wrong sometimes. Hagler actually had a lot of tough fights, he actually said all his defenses were tough and he came up against a pretty versatile, philly fighters before he was champ.

i'm not sure if he actually said that, i'm at the point where i have so many quotes and trivia in my head that my memory may be wrong sometimes. Hagler actually had a lot of tough fights, he actually said all his defenses were tough and he came up against a pretty versatile, philly fighters before he was champ.

Duran was ahead on the scorecards after 13 rounds (whether people agree with those scorecards or not), so technically that was the closest he came to losing while holding the belt, until Ray Leonard obviously.

Floyd Patterson pound for pound had a pretty solid combination of power and speed, the reason why some might not rate his power is because he was a small HW. But he had some sick KOs over heavyweights even though he was really just a LHW. When he faced people his own size like Archie Moore or Henry Cooper, he blew them out.

wx0zAhD.gif

Duran was ahead on the scorecards after 13 rounds (whether people agree with those scorecards or not), so technically that was the closest he came to losing while holding the belt, until Ray Leonard obviously.

Floyd Patterson pound for pound had a pretty solid combination of power and speed, the reason why some might not rate his power is because he was a small HW. But he had some sick KOs over heavyweights even though he was really just a LHW. When he faced people his own size like Archie Moore or Henry Cooper, he blew them out.

wx0zAhD.gif
floyd was awesome and gets overlooked a lot. he had the fastest heavyweight hands and was a great puncher, he says that kayo above changed him, and I believe it. I guess he was just past his prime by the fights of the mid to late 60's, he had a style that should have caused problems for Ali (small, quicker, great left hook) and he got kayoed twice. He actually fought better in the second fight against ali. Also, Henry Cooper said that no one ever hit him harder than patterson.

floyd was awesome and gets overlooked a lot. he had the fastest heavyweight hands and was a great puncher, he says that kayo above changed him, and I believe it. I guess he was just past his prime by the fights of the mid to late 60's, he had a style that should have caused problems for Ali (small, quicker, great left hook) and he got kayoed twice. He actually fought better in the second fight against ali. Also, Henry Cooper said that no one ever hit him harder than patterson.

We have to be realistic about his chances too, Ali's frame was about 20-30 pounds bigger than Patterson's. The difference is more negligible when it comes to 200+ pound heavyweights but the difference between a 180-190 pound guy and a 210-220 pound guy can be pretty huge.

Patterson on a diet of beer and burgers could only reach about 190 pounds whereas Ali when he put on weight was about 230.

Still I'd rate Patterson above Ali as a puncher, for one shot KO power. He knocked more than a few guys out cold. Including Cooper who was a bit of a pain for Ali to fight against.

We have to be realistic about his chances too, Ali's frame was about 20-30 pounds bigger than Patterson's. The difference is more negligible when it comes to 200+ pound heavyweights but the difference between a 180-190 pound guy and a 210-220 pound guy can be pretty huge.

Patterson on a diet of beer and burgers could only reach about 190 pounds whereas Ali when he put on weight was about 230.

Still I'd rate Patterson above Ali as a puncher, for one shot KO power. He knocked more than a few guys out cold. Including Cooper who was a bit of a pain for Ali to fight against.
Ali was only put down by smaller guys with left hooks, never the big guys. Sonny banks, joe frazier and henry cooper. Angie knew, he said he was worried about the patterson fight. Floyd's biggest problem was he was a headcase

Roy Jones Jr own father publicly protested Jones moving up to HW and fighting Buster Douglas. So he would know. It worked out eventually against another dude but he does not have that Julian Jackson power

leonard was definitely underrated in the power dept. power in both hands and commitment. Great left hook and like Ray Robinson, was not shy about throwing wild, looping right hands. He beat hearns slugging after all and I always thought he got Haglers respect early in their fight.

Oh, Leonard did have some serious pop, I’ve never doubted it. Lalonde was a big, tough guy and he stopped him.

Mosley is a good shout at lw

Prince naseem had awesome power and good speed

Definitely deserves a mention

A lot can be said in hindsight, but he could fucking punch and he had fast hands

Not the greatest boxer on this list but zab judah early on had a great mix of power and speed

He is obviously known much more for his ridiculous speed, but he carried some pop

Ali was only put down by smaller guys with left hooks, never the big guys. Sonny banks, joe frazier and henry cooper. Angie knew, he said he was worried about the patterson fight. Floyd's biggest problem was he was a headcase

Good point but not strictly correct.

6ft 5in Chuck Wepner dropped Ali with a right to the body. Hardly a devastating knockdown but the referee did rule it one and applied a count.

Good point but not strictly correct.

6ft 5in Chuck Wepner dropped Ali with a right to the body. Hardly a devastating knockdown but the referee did rule it one and applied a count.
i don't count knockdowns where a guy steps on a guys foot and shoves him.

Back