Media Best chin I've seen (Ribalta vs Tyson)

Kwic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
We know the uppercut from hell gif:

giphy.gif

but what many don't know is that that was not a KO shot.

Timestamped.

This dude has the chin of steel and liver of granite, god damn! He took fucking bombs right on the chin and kept going. Unreal.

Impressive, but that chin wouldn't hold up vs a sherdoggers uppercut.

Ray Mercer and Tua both had iron chins too. Tyson was a one of the greatest ever, but not one of the hardest hitters ever.

giphy.gif

Timestamped.

This dude has the chin of steel and liver of granite, god damn! He took fucking bombs right on the chin and kept going. Unreal.

Yeah man, it took a ton of punishment to finally put him away but Tillis and Green took some huge shots too and actually made it to the final bell, (Tillis ending the K
O streak and Mitch being the next fight after) so there chins held up just a little better.

Ray Mercer and Tua both had iron chins too. Tyson was a one of the greatest ever, but not one of the hardest hitters ever.
True, Tyson was a combination puncher with a unique combination of speed, power, footwork and head movement the likes of which we have never seen before at HW IMO.

giphy.gif

Timestamped.

WOW just like Ruiz destroyed AJ

I worked "Nino" Ribalta's corner when he fought "Bonecrusher" Smith on the Tubbs-Page undercard in Buffalo back in April of '85. In that bout, he got tagged by a massive right hand by Smith in the opening round & he went down in a heap right in front of me. I thought he was finished but he somehow got to his feet & fight "Bonecrusher" on even terms the rest of the way. Only to lose a very close split decision.
"Nino"s" prime lasted for a good five years from '85 to '90 when he had a good solid run through the division in which he only lost one fight in convincing fashion. That being his reasonably competitive fight with Tyson who was an absolute wrecking ball at the time. All his other losses during that time were ridiculously close affairs that could have easily gone his way. Those being his losses to Smith, Marvis Frazier ( a majority decision that I thought he won ) & Tim Witherspoon ( yet another majority nod that "Nino" was unlucky in ).
I think he was so disillusioned by the Witherspoon loss that he was never the same again because he just never gave the same sort of effort & he became a journeyman fighter that went on a 7-12 skid before retiring in '99. But, he only lost to the best heavyweights like Bruno, Doles, Holmes, Tubbs, Vitali Klitschko, Chris Byrd & "Razor" Ruddock.
I still keep in touch with "Nino" on Facebook & he's running a non-profit boxing gym for disadvantaged youth these days. He's a great guy. Sadly, the ravages of 17 years as a pro in which he fought 56 times against many of the best has left him slurring his words & a bit forgetful these days but what can you do? It was a sacrifice he made on his quest to become a champion.
IMG_20170928_171536.jpg
This photo was taken immediately after his fight with "Bonecrusher" Smith at the post-fight party.

I worked "Nino" Ribalta's corner when he fought "Bonecrusher" Smith on the Tubbs-Page undercard in Buffalo back in April of '85. In that bout, he got tagged by a massive right hand by Smith in the opening round & he went down in a heap right in front of me. I thought he was finished but he somehow got to his feet & fight "Bonecrusher" on even terms the rest of the way. Only to lose a very close split decision.
"Nino"s" prime lasted for a good five years from '85 to '90 when he had a good solid run through the division in which he only lost one fight in convincing fashion. That being his reasonably competitive fight with Tyson who was an absolute wrecking ball at the time. All his other losses during that time were ridiculously close affairs that could have easily gone his way. Those being his losses to Smith, Marvis Frazier ( a majority decision that I thought he won ) & Tim Witherspoon ( yet another majority nod that "Nino" was unlucky in ).
I think he was so disillusioned by the Witherspoon loss that he was never the same again because he just never gave the same sort of effort & he became a journeyman fighter that went on a 7-12 skid before retiring in '99. But, he only lost to the best heavyweights like Bruno, Doles, Holmes, Tubbs, Vitali Klitschko, Chris Byrd & "Razor" Ruddock.
I still keep in touch with "Nino" on Facebook & he's running a non-profit boxing gym for disadvantaged youth these days. He's a great guy. Sadly, the ravages of 17 years as a pro in which he fought 56 times against many of the best has left him slurring his words & a bit forgetful these days but what can you do? It was a sacrifice he made on his quest to become a champion.
View attachment 609655
This photo was taken immediately after his fight with "Bonecrusher" Smith at the post-fight party.

Very cool, thanks for sharing! He was a beast indeed.

View attachment 609655

The first part of this was awesome, the story of his current condition is tragic. Do you have the name of his non profit?

The guy Ike Ibeabuchi fought before Chris Byrd could absorb about anything.
He just ate 40 punches a round until the ref stopped it late in the fight. Body and head shots.
Not saying he’s one
Of the best but
On that night he was made of iron.

Nothing will EVER top this... perfect left hook from the best left-hooker in HW history, after 15 grueling rounds, up at the count of 3.
CaringFlickeringAntlion-small.gif

The first part of this was awesome, the story of his current condition is tragic. Do you have the name of his non profit?

No, unfortunately, I don't. But, I'll try to contact him when I can & get that info. Thanks very much, BTW.
Peace.

His fight against Bruno was a clear fix, i think he had his purse withheld until an "investigation" was held.....

Ribalta gave a tougher effort than most of Tyson's "top opponents" put together.

Ribalta's height probably took some of the sting off of Tyson's punches though, he was about 6-7 inches taller than Tyson. The uppercut while Ribalta leaned in, was about the only punch that Tyson could land with full torque behind it. The other punches he was swinging away with, like a man possessed.

Boxing has seen its fair share of guys who were tough as hell and had skills, but weren't fortunate enough to get the nod in their bigger fights, or had to run into a beast like Tyson at his peak. In Ribalta's case, both.

I saw a fight years ago with Tommy hearns against a guy called James kinchen, tomyy hit him with everything and James just kept coming forward and taughting Tommy. Anybody else remember this fight?

I saw a fight years ago with Tommy hearns against a guy called James kinchen, tomyy hit him with everything and James just kept coming forward and taughting Tommy. Anybody else remember this fight?

Youtube does.

Back