Best boxing/MT gloves for small hands?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Utilitypole, May 24, 2014.

1. Utilitypole

Utilitypole White Belt

I'm in the market for a new pair of 14 oz Muay Thai sparring gloves. But the only thing is I have smaller hands (I'm 5'5 and 130 pounds), so I definitely need a pair that has a snug fit. I'm currently using the "courtesy" gloves at the gym, and I definitely don't want to be using them for that much longer.

Which brands are known for being better-suited to fighters with smaller hands? I've heard that Raja and Hayabusa have a more snug fit that would probably be better for me, but I don't know how valid this information is.

I live in Canada, and I'll spend up to $120 for a pair of gloves that fit well, and hold up to years of punishment.

I've been doing some browsing online, and have narrowed my possible buying decisions to the following:

Am I going wrong by considering these two options? Help me and my small baby hands punch adult faces.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  2. Jaime81

Jaime81 Green Belt

If you do go Hayabusa, get the Tokushu gloves. I have the Plus model and I love them. A lot of people on this forum have them and feel very similar except for the thumb placement. I don't know if anyone has gotten the Ikusa gloves. If they fit anything like the Ikusa mma shinguards, then they should fit well.

3. Taskmaster99

Taskmaster99 Brown Belt

My Raja started somewhat snug but broke in over time. I would think if you have smaller hands then Top King would be the way to go in terms of snuginess. I had some 16oz that were finger cramping tight so I could only imagine a 14oz being the same. Plus the padding is soft enough for sparring.

4. Minowafanatic

Minowafanatic Black Belt

Id go for the Hayabusa Tokushu.

5. Championstuff

Championstuff Brown Belt Platinum Member

You could also check out boon

6. DC413

DC413 Orange Belt

I'd go with Top King, they are some of the tightest gloves I've put my hands into.

7. alpontigo

alpontigo White Belt

I read that Ringside Pro Style IMF Tech gloves have a small hand compartment.

Regards

8. GMH23

GMH23 Orange Belt

I don't think the tokushu has a particularly small hand compartment, it's just the thumb that's tiny.

Can't comment on Top Kings as I've never had a pair, but Fairtex do a tight-fit model and the new Twins Air are pretty snug. Both of those will last for years.

9. fmeffects

fmeffects Yellow Belt

Yup! Twins Air is indeed very snug. I was trying a 16oz w/o handwraps, felt tight like wearing 8oz. and I don't have big hands.

10. Urban1904

Urban1904 Yellow Belt

Those have a big hand compartment. I've had those gloves for over a year now, almost ever since they first came out. I've had a sprained wrist for three weeks now because of how big the hand compartment is for my small hands. I only wrap my hands in gauze with 4x4 guaze pads folded over my knuckles, but the hand compartment would still be too big if I wore thick, washable handwraps. Luckily I had some custom gloves Muhammad made that he said should've been shipped out this weekend.

11. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

Top King all the way if you have small hands.