Best boxing glove size to train with?

No, I'll go with 10oz, my coach tell us to buy 10oz gloves. Many guys sparr with 8oz, I think. Noticeable smaller size gloves, hurt as fuck when I get hit. No headgear.

Dudes sparring with 8oz gloves and no head gear...
Think I'll pass lol.

Dudes sparring with 8oz gloves and no head gear...
Think I'll pass lol.

Yeah, I'm passing on that. Sparring with 12oz gloves and head gear and my job is at risk for just not being on the ball the next day.

For me, 12oz for pad and bags, 16oz for sparring. Although I have been jumping in the ring with 12oz and headgear recently more and more often.

The boxing clubs that I go to its 16oz. for bag and 16oz. for sparring.

16s for me, anything like 10 or 12 and i'll be talking stupid for a week.

I think it's important to train with a combination of heavy and light gloves... the people who say 'I train with 16's because when I put 10's on in competition my hands are lightning fast', if it worked like that sprinters would only train in weighted boots and with parachutes - when in reality they do plenty of normal speed work, and even over-speed work.

Using heavy stuff does not instantly make you faster than someone who trains in 10s, or with a combination of say 16s and 10s.

i use 16 oz gloves for sparring and 14 oz gloves for heavy bagwork.

i like to use 14 or 16 for pad work and 10 oz for sparring.

when i used big gloves to spar the extra padding gives me so much extra blocking area, its always harder when using 10 oz gloves so i just spar with them so its always natural gthat way wehn i have my first fight i will be used to them

^^^ Your sparring partners would appreciate
it if you wore 16's.

Boxers that have heavy hands will even use
>16oz when sparring.

Im 70kg, use 10oz for bag/pad work, and 14oz for sparring/contact drills

if i saw you spar me with <16s , i would slip on my special gloves , they're these old ass everlast 16s(the kind you see Ali using !) with the padding mostly gone from the front . You press slowly n its there, squeeze hard and the padding separates n u meet my knuckles............enjoy.

As a 6'3 MW im guaranteed to open up your nose with my jab !

:icon_lol:

Dont be a douche ......get proper gear.

Hahaha I once saw a new guy get into the ring wearing
cut off weight training gloves. Thankfully someone
spotted them and he was told to grab a pair of boxing
gloves. Poor bastard nearly died of embarresment. Lol

all the people saying its disrespectful to spar with <16oz, I don't get it. I myself wear 12oz gloves for bag work and 16oz for sparring but train with people who wear 10-12oz for everything and never had an issue with a lack of padding during sparring. The bottom line is a good quality glove should have plenty of padding. After all it is training, neither of you should be going in 100% anyways...

Yeah. I understand that 16oz is generally better for both you and your partner. I do understand as to why some wouldn't though. I think the "culture" of a person's respective gym has a lot to do with this. Some are sticklers for certain things while others aren't. For example at my gym, some use under 16oz when sparring at it has never really posed a problem.

ooooooooweeeee! we would have alot of ko's in my gym if we used 12/10 oz gloves!!!!

god damn... you guys use headgear? holy shit talk about not being safe.

i can understand 14's for alittle more pop... but damn man. 12/10 are fight gloves.

ooooooooweeeee! we would have alot of ko's in my gym if we used 12/10 oz gloves!!!!

i can understand 14's for alittle more pop... but damn man. 12/10 are fight gloves.

Generally training, no headgear, sparring most people do, some dont. But its training and we're all friends, we're not going for the KO during a training session, i dont see how that could be productive at all. Sure there may be the odd bad shot or ko or whatever but these are very rare. as i said before, a good quality 10/12oz glove has plenty padding IMO

they probably miss a lot.

:icon_lol:

Generally training, no headgear, sparring most people do, some dont. But its training and we're all friends, we're not going for the KO during a training session, i dont see how that could be productive at all. Sure there may be the odd bad shot or ko or whatever but these are very rare. as i said before, a good quality 10/12oz glove has plenty padding IMO

me and training partners are all friends too.... but the truth is, when we spar we go hard. not 100% but damn near close to it. 16oz gloves, headgear, mouthpiece is all mandatory.

i can only imagine how ugly it would be if we used 12oz with no headgear... god damn

train hard, fight easy

Back