Best books for fighters

Y0cc3

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What would be good books to read if one wants to grow as a fighter (especially in MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai and Kickboxing) and as a warrior? What Sherdoggers recommend?

314178_10200320800720524_1999142845_n.jpg

Sun Tzu the Art of War and Dr. Seuss Green Eggs & Ham.

I can't recommend these two highly enough:

Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life, Brendan Brazier

Ultimate MMA Conditioning, Joel Jamieson

Thrive is written by an ironman athlete, Brendan, who has been enlisted as a nutritional coach by athletes of all varieties. Mac Danzig's endorsement is printed in the book and I heard Brendan say in a television interview once that he had been invited out to Blackhouse to work with the fighters out there. His principles of high net-gain nutrition are central to his book (and Thrive lifestyle) and his dietary recommendations are inspired by performance and backed by science.

Ultimate MMA Conditioning is written by strength and conditioning coach Joel Jamieson, founder of 8weeksout.com and Endzone Athletics. His facility is next door to Hume's place and he runs the s&c regimens of guys like Demetrius Johnson and Tim Boetsch. He has also worked with Matt Brown, Rich Franklin (pictured on the cover), Spencer Fischer, "Mach" Sakurai, Jens Pulver, and others. His book is much more expensive (I couldn't find it less than $46) but reads like a science class text book with lots of charts and graphs. It even includes programming tips specifically for fight camps (8 weeks out) as well as more general s&c information.

These two books when followed in tandem will boost your athletic performance and recovery dramatically and allow you the opportunity to train more often, more effectively, and more efficiently.

Back