Best BJJ Book/Video for begginers.

Jiu Jitsu University: Saulo Ribeiro Easily the best book for beginners. It starts out with survival. Then it goes to escapes. Then it works for sweeps. Then it works for passing/position. Then it works for subs. The entire book is built around getting your defensive BJJ working before worrying about an offense. It's not the most pleasing thing when you first start out, because it's not quite as "cool" as knowing "100 ways to choke a bitch out"... but it only takes a class or two of being that bitch to realize that you need to learn to crawl, before you can walk, so to speak. Knowing all the submissions in the world won't help if you can never get yourself in a position to use them, and this book tries to build that up. This book is about double the length of the others, and covers everything, including details, finer points, and theory behind alot of the technique. Personally if you only get 1 book, I would get this one...

Agreed. I was discussing this book with another one of our blues Friday, the thing I like best about it is while he's showing what to do, you're seeing the concept behind it. I love the Demian Maia dvd sets for the same reason. I don't need to learn 1000 different ways to break an arm, because really, there's only a few ways you're really doing it. But if you can get one concept that you have to remember and ingrain in your game, you can apply it 1000 different ways much quicker.

This book is great.

Not only in techniques, but the theories behind it. For whatever situation you find yourself Saulo shows you what to do, why you do and what NOT to do.

There's also a book called "Passing the Guard" which I found useful.

How's 'passing the guard'...? This is my weakness......

Anyone find some nice deals on the Demian Maia Science of Jiu Jitsu DVDs? I'm in college and am pretty poor right now. I was watching some of the vids on youtube and they seem to be very in depth yet easy to understand the concepts. But 90$ and 150$ is a ton of money.

Jiu Jitsu University is a must for everyone taking jiu jitsu. It is great for looking over techniques you may have forgotten or supplementing technique when just starting out. Very well written book.

I would also recommend Mastering the Rubber guard for the half guard and butterfly guard techniques. While most people on here are completely against Eddie, he does set up great half guard and butterfly guard techniques. This is a good book if you have some experience already however, not the best beginner book because it mainly focuses on guard techniques. But if you want to work on set ups from half guard and butterfly guard i would strongly recommend.

I have to go with BJJ:Theory & Technique, by Renzo, Royler, and Kid Peligo and Jiu-Jitsu Univeresity by Saulo Ribeiro. Definitely the two most useful books I have found.

Back