Best BJJ Book/Video for begginers.

palettamma

White Belt
Reaction score
just kinda curious to what you guys think helped you out through the first stages of the sport and what the best beggining books/videos out there are.

best thing for beginners is to sign up for a class :D

not trying to sound like a smart ass but ive been in class for about five months and all 3 answers are no help so if someone could give me a real answer thatd be great!

not trying to sound like a smart ass but ive been in class for about five months and all 3 answers are no help so if someone could give me a real answer thatd be great!

What are you trying to learn that you haven't covered with your instructor in 5 months? How often do you attend? Do you ever ask questions? What does a typical rolling (with a more experienced partner) look like?

well for 2 months i trained strictly bjj under a BB. coming off being a wrestler i could hold my own but tryed learning more off my back and not relying on my wrestling which was slowing down my learning curve. then i moved and been training a strictly mma gym where we lack alot off jiu jitsu and was wondering whats books/movies are out there were i can apply some of the techniques in live rolling. sorry for confusion i shouldve told whole story right away. Thanks!

first book i ever read was Renzo Gracie and Royler Gracie jiu jitsu book. forget what its called, all the pages started falling out. good book that will give you what you need to start off with. i hear what your saying, sometimes a BJJ instructor wont cover what your looking for, or what you need. asking questions is cool, but nobody wants to be THAT guy that ask questions all the time, turning a class into a private type of thing.

keep checking books out, you will find what your looking for. take a day off and go to the book store, tons of books there that you can go over.

first book i ever read was Renzo Gracie and Royler Gracie jiu jitsu book. forget what its called, all the pages started falling out. good book that will give you what you need to start off with. i hear what your saying, sometimes a BJJ instructor wont cover what your looking for, or what you need. asking questions is cool, but nobody wants to be THAT guy that ask questions all the time, turning a class into a private type of thing.

keep checking books out, you will find what your looking for. take a day off and go to the book store, tons of books there that you can go over.

thank you for this answer greatly appreciate how you know where im coming from!

jiu jitsu university - saulo ribeiro

This....

I own 5 BJJ books as a result of overzealous relatives always getting me Barnes and Noble gift cards for the past decade, despite the fact I'm not a "book person" :rolleyes:...

BJJ:Theory & Technique: Renzo + Royler Strange book. It's got a little bit of everything, covering self defense, kicking (which.. no offense to the Gracies, but Kickboxers they aren't), and gi BJJ. It has good content on sweeps, but doesn't quite get the detail that Saulo's book does on anything else. I reference this book for the sweeps occasionally.

Gracie Submission Essentials: Helio and Royler
Basically an entire book on Submissions. Little bit of wristlocks, armlocks, guillotines, some "flying" stuff etc. It's a good supplemental book, but if you are good enough to get into the position, you probably already know the submission, but it's nice having a reference guide anyhow... /shrug.

BJJ Black Belt: Jean Jacques Machado This book focuses alot on flow, and transitions between moves, presenting you with a position, and then showing you the steps towards a specific submission. It's an interesting book to get a grasp of the "flow", but harder to really understand just starting out, and can be somewhat limiting style wise if you try and follow it exactly. Probably the book I read/use the least.

X-Guard: Marcelo Garcia This is the best book I own, LAYOUT WISE, and an incredible guide for both butterfly and X-gaurd with tons of entrances to the positions, tons of pictures, lots of detail, and a simple method of differentiating what works in Gi/Nogi/Both. That said, being a complete noob myself, I don't really feel comfortable enough with any of the butterfly guard stuff to make good use of it, and I can't really justify trying to work on exotic things like "X-guard" before getting a better grasp of the much more fundamental basics. I have a feeling I'll like this book much more in the blue-purple range, than as a white belt.

Jiu Jitsu University: Saulo Ribeiro Easily the best book for beginners. It starts out with survival. Then it goes to escapes. Then it works for sweeps. Then it works for passing/position. Then it works for subs. The entire book is built around getting your defensive BJJ working before worrying about an offense. It's not the most pleasing thing when you first start out, because it's not quite as "cool" as knowing "100 ways to choke a bitch out"... but it only takes a class or two of being that bitch to realize that you need to learn to crawl, before you can walk, so to speak. Knowing all the submissions in the world won't help if you can never get yourself in a position to use them, and this book tries to build that up. This book is about double the length of the others, and covers everything, including details, finer points, and theory behind alot of the technique. Personally if you only get 1 book, I would get this one...

is the andre galavo drill to win to advanced?

Not really, but it's geared more towards competitors. A beginner would benefit from other books. Saulo's book is awesome for a beginner. I'd recommend it.

This..no doubt...The details in this book are awesome. It's big like a college text book. J

ust this weekend, we were rolling and someone got me in a RNC. I remembered what the defense was. I didn't think I was gonna escape cause the guy was on me like glue, but I waited for the right moment and scooted my butt all the way down and just twisted my hips and legs and I was in his guard... I couldn't believe it worked because I never would think i could have escaped.

I've watched numerous youtube vids and even got renzo's book, but Saulo, your book is awesomeeeeeeeeee......

Matt Serra's BJJ Basics DVD is quality. You will pick up important nuances that should help improve your game.

cannot recommend this book enough, it really makes a great path for a person who is new to BJJ. even for advanced people it's great too!

someone had mentioned this Amazon.com: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu series) (9781931229081): Renzo Gracie, Royler Gracie, John Danaher, Kid Peligro, Ricardo Azoury: Books

the renzo gracie theory and technique book. this is a great book that talks about the purpose and history of BJJ too. i'd recommend the renzo one for more of an informative background and saulo's for getting really detailed technique and advice

This book is great.

Not only in techniques, but the theories behind it. For whatever situation you find yourself Saulo shows you what to do, why you do and what NOT to do.

There's also a book called "Passing the Guard" which I found useful.

Back