Best Amateur Boxing Headgear?

Al747

White Belt
Reaction score
fightgear is the standard ,matter of fact playboy, title and others base there head gear on fightgear head gears, I have boxed for usa boxing sanctioned events and they allow it,fight gear also feel lighter than everlast or any other brand i've used, I heard rival head gears are good but you have to get their "usa boxing certified version" headgears
FightGear Competition Headgear with Cheeks-www.Ringside.com
heres a pic of mine it's next to my shoes in this pic
l_f27e626f438c290b93308c0482165878.jpg

I'm looking for a nice headgear for like $50-$70. I'm looking at these two right now:

Fighting Sports USA Boxing Competition Headgear (With Cheeks) | Competition Headgear | Amateur Boxing Equipment and Gear from Title Boxing

TITLE Boxing Competition Headgear (With Cheeks) | Women's Headgear | Women / Female Boxing Equipment and Apparel from Title Boxing

The headgear must be U.S.A. Boxing certified (allowed in amateur bouts). What would you recommend?

Thanks!

You really should think about biting the bullet and buying the best headguard you can. Isn't your head the most important part of your body (OK 2nd most after the jewels)? If so here is a link to a Top Ten Headguard review that you should take a look at before you get tons of responses and suggestions.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/review-top-ten-training-headgear-pics-592605/

Top Ten Avantgarde (Competition style, without the cheek protectors) is the best thing out there. By far.

Top Ten Avantgarde (Competition style, without the cheek protectors) is the best thing out there. By far.

Yeah, you have to get the cheekless set because they aren't certified. I own two, and I love it, but they aren't boxing regulation.

I would have to disagree. The guys in my gym hate this headgear because the strap always come undone during fights. I have heard great thing about the adidas headgear.

is top ten allowed in usa boxing event?

how about in california?

I hate the top ten rubberish headgear. Their leather ones are pretty good.

Green Hill is good too but the one my gym has is all worn out so I don't use it any more. I use Starpak cause they're the best ones we have left.

Probably gonna get the new Rival ones soon they make good stuff.

The Avant Guard isn't what I expected. At that price and with Sherdogs gushing over it I expected it to be the best money could buy.

But it's not. It moves when punched, slips forward and therefore blinds you, and the chin strap digs into your face. I am no satisfied with mine. Yeah, it absorbs the blow and the bayflex is remarkable, but this shit shouldn't move around as much as it does. I'm giving it more time to ensure I have it strapped right, but again, my expectations are nowhere near met.

I would have to disagree. The guys in my gym hate this headgear because the strap always come undone during fights. I have heard great thing about the adidas headgear.
90% of the amateurs in eurupe use their headgear. And i have never had any issues with the strap so i'm not sure what you mean.

The Avant Guard isn't what I expected. At that price and with Sherdogs gushing over it I expected it to be the best money could buy.

But it's not. It moves when punched, slips forward and therefore blinds you, and the chin strap digs into your face. I am no satisfied with mine. Yeah, it absorbs the blow and the bayflex is remarkable, but this shit shouldn't move around as much as it does. I'm giving it more time to ensure I have it strapped right, but again, my expectations are nowhere near met.
It doesn't move around on anybody that wears em, we've dealt with this issue of yours a while ago and nobody knew what you were talking about. Are you sure you know how to put the headgear on and how to make it sit tight?

It doesn't move around on anybody that wears em, we've dealt with this issue of yours a while ago and nobody knew what you were talking about. Are you sure you know how to put the headgear on and how to make it sit tight?

Haha, while I appreciate you keeping tabs I thought it was agreed TimS shared a kinship with TopTen and therefore could speak no evil of it, nor have evil spoken of it. Haha. Tim is a good guy. Nonetheless the issue wasn't "resolved" so to speak. So far the expire of the strap on the inside of the head gear seems to be a design flaw

The headgear straps are aligned just like the picture. I have longer hair that may cause frontal slippage of the head gear.

How do you have your Top Ten set up, Gonz? You seem to be more experienced in the department than me, so maybe I've been drinking bottles of fail thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really sure, I just make it sit very tight so there's no space left for it to move around. In the back and the chin strap as well. Of course not too tight but when i have it on it's impossible for it to move.

Maybe your head is shaped way different, I don't know. Is it more like..round? I could see how it would move around in that case but that's not really Top Ten's fault then, you will have issues with all headgear that's made of rubber or leather. Top Ten has another one out for competition made of leather (outside) and suede inside, maybe you should check it out?
TOP TEN -- The ultimate, durable, dependable protective equipment for boxing, kick boxing, and the martial arts -- TOP TEN

Isn't the promoter supposed to supply the headguards in competitions to be sure that everyone is wearing the same thing and have the same protection. Also, my understanding is, that Top Ten Headguards are approved by USA Boxing which allows/approves them because AIBA (the Int'l authority) has approved them.

i think they changed the rule recently. they only approve it if its usa boxing. not aiba. but i wanna get to the bottom of this!!!

im really interested in the greenhill and top ten leather headgear. do they allow reyes amateur headgear in usa boxing?

Isn't the promoter supposed to supply the headguards in competitions to be sure that everyone is wearing the same thing and have the same protection. Also, my understanding is, that Top Ten Headguards are approved by USA Boxing which allows/approves them because AIBA (the Int'l authority) has approved them.

at the events I boxed at we only got gloves, we brought our own head gear this was in 2006, some people even brought airbrushed and customized headgear, USA boxing is only anal about gloves, easiest way to get a USA boxing certified head gear is to look for the "official according to USA boxing specifications" patch usually at the right side of a head gear almost every usa certified head gear has it,it will also say the weight of the head gear on it and it's usually 10oz,if you head gead gear moves buy a smaller size,mine never moves I usually forget I have it on because it fits good and is light,and AIBA is different Mexico has aiba rules and there amateur ranks are a lot easier about things, my cousins box under AIBA in zacatecas,MX

i think they changed the rule recently. they only approve it if its usa boxing. not aiba. but i wanna get to the bottom of this!!!

im really interested in the greenhill and top ten leather headgear. do they allow reyes amateur headgear in usa boxing?

A couple people in my gym wear the leather top ten and said it is pretty good. My personal favourite is the adidas one though.

A couple people in my gym wear the leather top ten and said it is pretty good. My personal favourite is the adidas one though.

I've never seen and addidas head gear in person but the design is innovative , my gym has people using,reyes,fighting,rival,fight gear, title,grant,and winning

Back