Best All time and Current Australian Boxer?

Beamzy

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm just a casual fan of Boxing, I know most of the big names, but only know a handfull of Aussie boxers, guys like Jeff Fenech, Anthony Mundine, Danny Green, Sam Solimon, Daniel Geale.

Who would you say is the best all time Aussie and best current Aussies?
by weight class or P4P, all is appreciated. Cheers.

I think currently it's Michael "The Great" Katsidis who's scheduled to fight Juan Manuel Marquez on November 27.

Kostya Tszyu was Russian born but decided to move to Australia, got married and became a citizen.I don't know if that counts, then again he wasn't full blooded Rusian either, his father was Korean/Mongol according to wikipedia.

The best currently is Vic Darchynian and Katsidis, unlike Mundine & Green those two are not afraid of taking on the best fighters.

For all time list just look up some of these names:

Category:Australian boxers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter Jackson, Les Darcy, Young Griffo, Lionel Rose, Johnny Famechon, Tony Mundine, Jeff Fenech, Kostya Tszyu are some of the bigger names.

I'm no expert but the greatest of all time is surely Billy "The Kid" Dib.

Vic is the man currently.

All time would be Rose, Darcy, Famechon, Fenech & Tszyu if he counts.

The biggest heart goes to Jeff Harding though, watch his first fight with Andries for the lightheavyweight title, he took a solid beating and came back and stopped him in the final round.

Thanks for the help, I will check them out.

I was unsure if i should count Kostya Tszyu but I do know him.

I think currently it's Michael "The Great" Katsidis who's scheduled to fight Juan Manuel Marquez on November 27.

If he had an impressive win over Marquez, do you think it could line Katsidis with a bout agaist a guy like Pacquiao or Mayweather? or is there other guys more deserving of that?

If he had an impressive win over Marquez, do you think it could line Katsidis with a bout agaist a guy like Pacquiao or Mayweather? or is there other guys more deserving of that?

It would certainly boost his stock but he is a lightweight (135) although I'm sure if Pacquiao or Mayweather(he did it to Marquez) gave him a chance to jump up two weight classes to 147 and get destroyed he would grab that check.

I think the biggest fight he could get would be in the Junior Welterweight division(140) which has a lot of starpower right now (Khan ,Bradley ,Alexander ,Maidana, Judah ,etc.) and if I had to guess who he would want it would be Amir Khan,the biggest draw of them all.

This fight on November will be Michael's most important to date, and although he lost a split decision to Diaz, and got stopped by Casamayor(both of which were defeated by Marquez) this fight is a lot more winnable than some would lead you to believe.And no matter what the outcome, it basically guarantees action for as long as it lasts.

one of my favorite prediction channels, this guy picked Pirog(who nobody knew) to upset undefeated American prospect Daniel Jacobs, and has made a lot of other good ones as well.

Thanks for ya help McMurder.

Katz is the shit, one of the most exciting fighters currently lacing them up.

I clicked this thread half-expecting a classic Kid post talking about some Australian boxer from 1850 I'd never heard of before and looking forward to spending 10-20 mins researching and reading up on him.

Then reality hit...

In honour of that can I suggest Young Griffo or Les Darcy as the best of all time.

By Mark Vester

According to Elias Nassar, manager of IBO bantamweight champion Vic Darchinyan, the fight against unbeaten Abner Mares will take place on December 18 in either Las Vegas or California. Darchinyan (35-2-1, 27 KOs) and Mares (20-0-1, 13 KOs) appeared to have a date set for November 6 on Showtime. It was moved when the postponed featherweight clash between Juan Manuel Lopez and Rafael Marquez took over the date.

In the co-feature, IBF bantamweight champion Yonnhy Perez (20-0-1, 14 KOs) will have a rematch with former champion Joseph Agbeko (27-2, 22 KOs).
Both bantamweight bouts are part of Showtime's four man elimination tournament. The winners of both fights will meet in 2011

Interesting.

Back