Best age for a kid to start training.

Don't force it. Martial arts, including boxing, are not for everyone. If he doesn't love it chances are he would never be great at it anyway. And if he's not having fun, what's the point?

I get the fitness/activity thing. It's a growing problem in America. It's great that you tried to get him into it, but I am just saying don't force it.

Try another sport perhaps?

Get him to join the school wrasslin' team and if he still refuses whip out the old leather belt and give him some tough love.

Personally, I think he is almost on the money. One thing I cannot stand in today's society is how parents treat their children. The household is a Dictatorship. The mother is the Queen, and the Father is the Gestapo. Children aren't your contemporary. I cannot wait til I'm a father. My kid talks back, or insults the mother...Yup, there's going to be a beat down.

I only say this because I live in a household with a 3 year old and one year old (fathers other children) and they walk all over him and his wife. No discipline. 3 year old has his own Ipod, and has been infront of the TV since he came home.

Personally, I think he is almost on the money. One thing I cannot stand in today's society is how parents treat their children. The household is a Dictatorship. The mother is the Queen, and the Father is the Gestapo. Children aren't your contemporary. I cannot wait til I'm a father. My kid talks back, or insults the mother...Yup, there's going to be a beat down.

I only say this because I live in a household with a 3 year old and one year old (fathers other children) and they walk all over him and his wife. No discipline. 3 year old has his own Ipod, and has been infront of the TV since he came home.

Well, enjoy being a bad parent.

IMO: Whenever they show an interest, regardless of age. My daughters daycare teachers asked me when they were teaching them to count: "all the kids hold up their fingers when we count to three, 1,2,3.... but your daughter stands up and swings her arms"...... LMAO. Had to explain that her play pen is regularly out in my gym and as far as she's concerned 1,2,3 is when someone swings their arms at the pads daddy is holding.

Sorry I'm just seriously jaded toward parenting (yes, I have issues, and who doesn't).

Tiger Woods started playing golf aged 1 year old.

You wanna get them before they think for themselves. After that it's up to them and kids are stupid.

The only risk is they rebel at some time if instigation is done early. Just make sure they get positive feedback, no negative reinforcement.

OP. Your too late. Kids got interests and they ain't martial.

You sir, are a fire starter.

x37pzd.jpg

I was like fuck it and took him to class. He said he didn't like it at the end but I thought he was having fun at some point, so I'm not really sure.

Hi, I got a quick question. How do I get my lil bro into martial arts? (he's11) I wish I had started early myself but was stupid back then. I took him to the kids jiu jitsu class at my first gym but he didn't show any interest and he was like meeh, he also tried the Muay Thai class and same results. I want to wake him up, be confident and independent and not be like every other fat American kid.

If you do not wish him to be like "every other fat American kid" then make sure his food intake is healthy.

Other than that, it's hard to know if someone will embrace martial arts at a certain point in their life. If he doesn't seem that interested then try to find some physical craft that he has an affinity towards and build upon that. Good luck! :p

IMO: Whenever they show an interest, regardless of age. My daughters daycare teachers asked me when they were teaching them to count: "all the kids hold up their fingers when we count to three, 1,2,3.... but your daughter stands up and swings her arms"...... LMAO. Had to explain that her play pen is regularly out in my gym and as far as she's concerned 1,2,3 is when someone swings their arms at the pads daddy is holding.

Lol that's awesome.

OP:

Don't force it, just give them the opportunities and most importantly make it fun else forget about it. Telling him what he should be interested in won't help his confidence or independence.

You can't force it at that age. Bring him to it naturally. Increase his interest outside of the gym and he'll gradually grow towards it. Even then, it's up to him.

My niece is into it but all we do with her is rough-house. Violence seems natural to her because it's all she knows. Punching, kicking, wrestling is how you have fun.

I've already got a plan for my kid which is just helping dad work on technique and duplicating it so that it's natural to think about physical expression and fighting as one. We'll see how that goes.

Hi, I got a quick question. How do I get my lil bro into martial arts? (he's11) I wish I had started early myself but was stupid back then. I took him to the kids jiu jitsu class at my first gym but he didn't show any interest and he was like meeh, he also tried the Muay Thai class and same results. I want to wake him up, be confident and independent and not be like every other fat American kid.

You can't. Its up to him. 11 is a good age to start pursuing a long term hobby...especially if he wants to take it far in the future. However, if he shows no interest then there is no use forcing it. Maybe lend him some UFC dvds or something but that is all you can do, really.

That being say, no interest right now =/= no interest forever. I tried taekwondo when I was much younger and thought MA was boring as hell. Now, I'm doing BJJ & boxing.

Btw, cute kid sullivan80

Yesterday I was ready to beat his ass. Took him to beginner's wrestling today and he actually loved it. I was actually happy to see him participate.

Yesterday I was ready to beat his ass. Took him to beginner's wrestling today and he actually loved it. I was actually happy to see him participate.

Well if it comes down to it. :)

noo-daddy-o.gif

Back