Best age for a kid to start training.

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by ElCapitano, Oct 17, 2013.

1. ElCapitano

ElCapitano Orange Belt

Hi, I got a quick question. How do I get my lil bro into martial arts? (he's11) I wish I had started early myself but was stupid back then. I took him to the kids jiu jitsu class at my first gym but he didn't show any interest and he was like meeh, he also tried the Muay Thai class and same results. I want to wake him up, be confident and independent and not be like every other fat American kid.

2. CJrider

CJrider Purple Belt

That age is fine, not everyone shares similar interests, if he was willing to try kids BJJ/MT classes and didn't enjoy it then he probably doesn't care and will move on to things he is interested in.

3. Jukai

Jukai Silver Belt

Maybe he's just not into martial arts. Pretty sure the vast majority of the population feels the same way as your brother. Nothing you can do, go play basketball with him or something.

4. a guy

a guy Black Belt

Combat sports are probably the worst thing to force someone into. Most people don't enjoy them and don't wanna deal with the injuries, fear, embarrassment, whatever.

If you wanna get your little brother into it, try training a little with him. Keep it playful and fun. If he doesn't get into it, nothing you can do. It really isn't for everyone.

5. snizzar

snizzar Purple Belt

Get him to join the school wrasslin' team and if he still refuses whip out the old leather belt and give him some tough love.

JK on the last part lolz.

6. ElCapitano

ElCapitano Orange Belt

Well he hasn't really showed any interest in sports at all or pretty much anything except for videogames.

These were my thoughts at some point. lol

7. apizur**

apizur** Aggressive Finesse.

By 2 he should be full contact sparring.

8. apizur**

apizur** Aggressive Finesse.

On the realz...
    To be perfectly honest there were two factors that got me into it, and they started WAY before I was 11.

1. I watched action movies and tough guys would beat up bad guys were dominant and cool, so I wanted to be dominant and cool. It was a jaded view because it was also their attention to other people's needs that made them heroes. Oh well. It also addressed my desire to be competitive.

2. At some point the fear of being beat up inspired me to defend myself. Unlike Kurt Russell, instead of having 3 fist fights and a knife fight in a weekend... I would have 3 real fist fights in my life. No knife fights. I had the wrong idea, but at least it kept me exploring martial arts.

However, when I first signed up for karate and TKD and boxing... the guys that were super into it fell somewhere between intimidating or try-hard in my eyes. Neither of which I wanted to be. Ironically, I am now that guy in the gym getting the stony stares from the newbies.

9. goldennboy

goldennboy Brown Belt

Here's the thing I don't understand. Why do people think kids should get into full contact sports at such an early age? they've got a childhood to go through. I started at 14 and I had a good childhood. I'm 16 now and I'm sparring kids born into the sport. Some of them aren't even better than me.

Imo, you don't need to breed the kid into the sport in order to make a champion. I'm a living, breathing example of this.

As long as the boys are trying to learn every single day, he'll be good and all, without taking as much punishment as kids starting early as heck.

10. Alex88

Alex88 Brown Belt

The earlier the better. Look at Floyd Mayweather or GSP , they started pretty young.. Yes, I'im suing extreme exemples but you get the idea.

11. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

There's plenty pros that go in late and do great.

The important thing is that they develop the enthusiasm and passion for it (on their own) or else they burn out early and never want to go back.

Here's some ways to get your kid interested--

1. Ninja Turtles (cartoon)

2. Bruce Lee movies (EnterTheDragon)

3. Buy him a pair of foam nunchucks to swing around

If you've done the above and your kid doesn't go nuts for it, it's gotta be some problem else, i.e., catching his dad trying on makeup and miniskirts with the neighbor

12. hell wall

hell wall Blue Belt

I would say 3 is a good age to start home training them in wrestling and boxing

13. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

My little girl is 17 months. She can put up her dukes and loves to try and punch me in the face

14. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

I ran a kids mma program last year. No sparring, and limited Jits. I covered basic boxing, take downs, muay Thai, a few subs and escapes.

From my experience, a kid needs to be 6-7 to really have techniques stick. Any younger and you might as well put them in tumbling or soccer

15. Bang Rachan

Bang Rachan Brown Belt

You can't force him into something he doesn't want to do. If he sees you training maybe he would want to go later on in life

16. NAKMUAY18

NAKMUAY18 Brown Belt

What does he like to watch, what does he like to play?
    I he likes action films and fighting, keep trying different fight sport. I he likes COD try cadets, sports games football, etc. you can't make him like what you like.

17. VicariousVice

VicariousVice Brown Belt

First, pay the school bully to beat him up, then get him to watch some Jean Claude Van Damme, Jet Li, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Tony Jaa movies. That's what made me develop an interest and take-up martial arts... also, buy him Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat for 360.

18. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

Tumbling is probably the best thing you can do for the sub 6 kids. That is one skill set that transfers to all fighting arts and is really hard to pick up as you get older and learn that gravity is not fun to mess with.

19. MightySparrow

MightySparrow Orange Belt

Pretty much this, tbh. I'd be careful not to try to realize my own unfulfilled dreams through someone else.

Then, maybe wrestling or judo would be less frightening to a kid compared with BJJ, not to mention MT? So you may want to take him to a class in one of those before you give up.

20. goldennboy

goldennboy Brown Belt

Okay, look at Segio Martinez, Canelo Alvarez, Manny Pacquiao and the list can go on.

Floyd was born into this sport, those guys chose the sport, yet they're still considered great.

Like I said, me, I'm proof that you don't need to be in the sport all your life to be something in the sport. The key is wanting to learn everyday.