Best adjustable dumbbells

kahiljabroni

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Anybody have any good or bad experiences with adjustable dbs? I gotta buy some soon. Getting old....think the 50s are high enough.:( Hate people too much to go back to the gym.

I got these NordicTrack ones from Amazon during the pandemic. Took them over half a year to ship them but they are very solid adjustable dumbbells. They go up to 55 pounds each so as a jacked Sherdogger I set them to maximum and do bicep curls with both at the same time

31izA4Df1uL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I use the PowerBlock ones:
Sport-50-pair-800-x-600-1.jpg

They have the same restrictions as regular hex dumbbells.

If you're only going up to 50lbs, the bow flex ones should suffice

Disagree. Bowflex ones are insanely wide and restrict you from using them for general exercises.

I use the PowerBlock ones:
Sport-50-pair-800-x-600-1.jpg

They have the same restrictions as regular hex dumbbells.

Disagree. Bowflex ones are insanely wide and restrict you from using them for general exercises.

Expensive? Not trying to break the bank.

Need them to feel well balanced and be flat bottomed so I'm able to rest them on knees before throwing them up for presses.

The NordicTrack dumbbells mentioned above are excellent as long as you’re confident you won’t drop or slam them. Adjusting the amount of weight is very fast and easy.

If you do anticipate dropping your weights or want something heavier then Ironmaster is a good option. They’re incredibly durable and flat on the ends so they feel like traditional fixed-weight dumbbells. Adjusting weight is pretty slow and tedious, however.

I have Powerblocks but I’m not crazy about them. They’re durable and quick to adjust as long as you stick to 10 lbs increments. In order to adjust by 5 lbs you have to remove all weights down to the base block and insert/pull out two 2.5 lbs metal cylinders. I have the EXP model so I don’t know for sure if they all function like that. I’m guessing others do.

Expensive? Not trying to break the bank.

Bought them in 2019 pre-pandemic for around $200(?). No idea what they cost now.

I've wondered about these. They seem like they would get in the way and be too bulky.

Everything i did with my previous full set of hex dumbbells i can do with these. Only thing id suggest is not dropping them like you can do with hex dumbbells for the plates will bend.

I use the bow flex 1090 dumbbells. As the name suggests they adjust from 10-90 pounds and work great.

People are selling their pandemic equipment off for under 80 cents a pound. Just get a few fixed sets of dumbells

If you have the funds and for sure don't need heavier then 80 lbs, I would go with the Nuobell adjustable dumbbells. Fast adjusting, knurled handles, normal dumbbell shape and decent proportions. Only thing I don't know is the longevity.
upload_2022-10-27_21-23-1.png

If you don't mind powerblock design it's also a great choice with many options and well priced when on sale. My only recommendation is get a pair that has the option to expand.

Thanks for feedback guys. I didn't think about dropping them/durability factor. The hardest drop would be from a flat bench to the ground...not sure if that's considered hard. I'll look at the above mentioned. Obviously I'd rather a sufficient set of standard dbs but havnt seen much used for sale.

Thanks for feedback guys. I didn't think about dropping them/durability factor. The hardest drop would be from a flat bench to the ground...not sure if that's considered hard. I'll look at the above mentioned. Obviously I'd rather a sufficient set of standard dbs but havnt seen much used for sale.

Are you in the US? Farcebook Marketplace usually has a fair amount of slightly used dumbells for sale, you can often find them priced at .75-$1 / lb which is cheaper than Amazon or box stores.

We should be entering a decent time to shop as I'm sure people who bought fitness equipment during COVID will be unloading it similar to getting rid of Christmas gifts 2-3 years after you get them and realize you don't use or want them.

Anybody have any good or bad experiences with adjustable dbs? I gotta buy some soon. Getting old....think the 50s are high enough.:( Hate people too much to go back to the gym.
I stand by Powerblock for most people same as garage gym reviews says. Second choice would be iron masters or baadass https://www.baadass.com/

Are you in the US? Farcebook Marketplace usually has a fair amount of slightly used dumbells for sale, you can often find them priced at .75-$1 / lb which is cheaper than Amazon or box stores.

We should be entering a decent time to shop as I'm sure people who bought fitness equipment during COVID will be unloading it similar to getting rid of Christmas gifts 2-3 years after you get them and realize you don't use or want them.

Yeh I was just looking on there. There's quite a few for sale mostly for around 1$ per pound but im sure I could chisel em down. I already have standard 10s...20s...and 30s as well as old school collared dbs that can go up to 80 but those are no good for benching.

It depends what is your budget. You want easy change or you want a pair of adjustables you can drop on the floor and it doesn't break. Also how much are you going to be using them?

-Nuobell is probably best in the class for easy change adjustable dumbbells.
-Ironmasters is probably best ones for adjustable dumbbell handles. Pepin is nice too but you can't drop those. Ironmasters will last forever. Try to get them cheap on facebook marketplace from another seller.

Back