Best Actor and Best Actress Should Be Combined Into One Category

And while we're at it why not combine the men and women's bantamweight divisions, they're all 135lbs right

Acting isn't a physical contest. There isn't an inherent advantage that a man would have over a woman

I think it should be the opposite. They should have categories for:

Best Cis-actor
Best Cis-actress
Best Actor-to-actress
Best Actress-to-actor
Best Transactor
Best Transactress
Best Transgender-actor
Best Transgender-actress
Best Gendernormal-actor
Best Gendernormal-actress

I actually agree. Acting is an art, and I think men and women are able to be compared on common ground in the arts. Having separate categories is basically saying women are not good enough to be compared to men and thus need their own category.

But alas it's just the Oscars, it's meaningless entertainment/Hollywood circle jerk. So I really can't care all that much.

its 2015 and we are still conforming to the outdated gender duality concept? lol just lol.

I agree with this. However, you can't deny that most notable (i.e. Oscar caliber) roles are still skewed in favour of men over women. Just like they're skewed to young over old, white over non-white, etc.

One category would probably mean 80% male nominees to 20% female.

I actually agree. Acting is an art, and I think men and women are able to be compared on common ground in the arts. Having separate categories is basically saying women are not good enough to be compared to men and thus need their own category.

But alas it's just the Oscars, it's meaningless entertainment/Hollywood circle jerk. So I really can't care all that much.
I only used the Oscars as an example because they're the most well known and discussed, but it could be applied to anything that awards men and women for acting

Acting isn't a physical contest. There isn't an inherent advantage that a man would have over a woman

Along with best picture and best director there the two awards people get most excited about, eliminating one of those would take away a lot of the fun of awards shows with less people getting nominated and the limelight.

There's also usually plenty of roles that are worthy of the attention that a nomination would garner and if we're going to be chopping the number of nominations in half by merging the category it would be bad for the industry imo.

Back