Best Actor and Best Actress Should Be Combined Into One Category

tomsawyer

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So, let's pretend for a second that The Oscars and any other award show is based on merit and strength of the performance. Why should best actor and best actress be separated into two different categories?

Because sometimes there is a lead actor and sometimes there is a lead actress. Is it really that hard to figure out?

A part of me died in this thread tonight

Because sometimes there is a lead actor and sometimes there is a lead actress. Is it really that hard to figure out?

There is almost always a lead actor and actress in a movie. Very rarely are both roles nominated for best actor and actress

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. I'm saying instead of best actor and best actress just have best acting performance. I mean they don't have a separate award for female directors.

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. I'm saying instead of best actor and best actress just have best acting performance. I mean they don't have a separate award for female directors.

no such thing as a directress.

So, let's pretend for a second that The Oscars and any other award show is based on merit and strength of the performance. Why should best actor and best actress be separated into two different categories?

good point,

I do not understand what is so difficult to understand about some roles that require a male to portray said role, and some roles that require a female to portray said role. Daniel Day-Lewis sure as hell isn't going to portray Margaret Thatcher, yaknow?

why must I repeat myself dude

I understand what you mean, but all of us can pick out our favorite performances in tv and movies regardless of it's from a man or a woman. So my point is that they should have a category called "best acting performance" instead of separating them into two categories.

Is there anything fundamentally different about what is asked of a man and woman acting to necessitate separating them into different categories

Fucking lol

No, nothing. In fact I'm of the opinion that transgendered people should be the only ones allowed as lead actors so that we're not descrminating against the two very different genders. That way there is only 1 award for 1 lead actor. Brilliant thinking TS.

I understand what you mean, but all of us can pick out our favorite performances in tv and movies regardless of it's from a man or a woman. So my point is that they should have a category called "best acting performance" instead of separating them into two categories.

They could, i don't see why they should. The 4 acting categories are the only reason to watch the oscars. Also, the chicks would rarely win any acting awards creating sympathy votes and women's rights tears. Might as well integrate NBA and WNBA. I mean, they're all professional basketball players after all.

Fucking lol

No, nothing. In fact I'm of the opinion that transgendered people should be the only ones allowed as lead actors so that we're not descrminating against the two very different genders. That way there is only 1 award for 1 lead actor. Brilliant thinking TS.

I only mean awards wise they shouldn't be separated. I understand there are some roles only a man could play and some only a woman could play

They could, i don't see why they should. The 4 acting categories are the only reason to watch the oscars. Also, the chicks would rarely win any acting awards creating sympathy votes and women's rights tears. Might as well integrate NBA and WNBA. I mean, they're all professional basketball players after all.

That's why I said at the beginning pretend that they're based on merit. That's an unfair comparison.

because it's never been that way. your hypothetical sucks. just accept it.

It's a marketing gimmick for the industry and nominees pay for entrance into the competition, so why would they want or use less promotional and money making tools?

Wait. Don't tell us you thought the Oscars were are some sort of legitimate contest?

Back