Best acting of all time from a main character in a TV show?

Woody Harrelson was step for step with Matthew McConaughey in TD

He really was. That gets overlooked because McConaughey gives the performance of a lifetime but really Woody was right there. That's why the show worked really. Their chemistry was some of the best I've ever seen.

The bald dude.

If I can choose the category of other, then I choose
Frasier_Crane_at_KACL_radio_station.png
the wife and i are watching Frasier at the moment, this is our 2nd watch of this show. It's great!

Let's just say, I agree with this guy:

Dear Mister Cranston.

I wanted to write you this e-mail—so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber—I take it we are both represented by UTA . Great agency.

I’ve just finished a marathon of watching “BREAKING BAD”—from episode one of the First Season—to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON). A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.

I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!

Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen— ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I’ve sort of lost belief in anything really.

But this work of yours is spectacular—absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers . . . every department—casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that overused word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction, and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian, or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to—would you pass on my admiration to everyone—Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada—everyone —everyone gave master classes of performance . . . The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I’ve ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It’s almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this e-mail.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards,

Anthony Hopkins

<FookIsThatGuy>

That's actually a pretty cool and deserved acknowledgement.

the wife and i are watching Frasier at the moment, this is our 2nd watch of this show. It's great!
Such a great show. One of the true spin offs that rivals the originating series (Cheers).

I love how early on the ridiculousness of Niles' coffee choices (decaf, non fat latte, medium foam with cinnamon) was considered a big joke due to it being considered absurd, snobby, elitist, and nowadays his order is just the standard fair you hear all the time in most coffee houses.

Matthew McConaughey was regarded as a 2nd rate actor by almost everyone before true detective, which catapulted him up to superstar status. There might be better performances but that one came to mind right away.

It's tough to pick best TV performance because there were plenty of iconic ones. Petey posting that testimonial from Anthony Hopkins though is pretty tough to dispute lol. Sadly I still haven't gotten around to Breaking Bad but I will.

<31>

Matthew McConaughey was regarded as a 2nd rate actor by almost everyone before true detective, which catapulted him up to superstar status. There might be better performances but that one came to mind right away.

True Detective definitely raised my opinion of Matthew McConaughey quite a bit, before that I thought he was just alright.

Jennifer Lopez as Detective Harlee Santos in Shades of Blue.

Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman / Jimmy is scary good.

I'm also throwing a big vote to John Dunsworth for his portrayal of Jim Lahey

Agree with John Dunsworth. I was seriously sad when he passed. He was the liquor, RIP.

Also i have to give credit to Andrew Lincoln. Without him, the Walking Dead would be even worse that it normally would be.

But the winner for me would be Bryan Cranston. This is the same guy that came from Malcolm in the Middle. Real surprise for many people having Bryan transform from that to WW.

I thought clive owen was good in the nick. Plays a guy with god complex perfectly. He played hemingway well also. Loved tony soprano, but rust is the best out of the OP.

I don't watch a lot of TV shows but this guy comes to mind.

220px-Vincent_D%27Onofrio_as_Kingpin_in_Daredevil.jpg

He was very well portrayed for how horrible Kingpin was written on that show.

He's always passionately talking about 'love' and being a beta bitch to his wife. I couldn't take him seriously being the organized criminal mastermind of New York City.

That said, the actor's performance for the material written was a solid 9/10.

D'Onofrio in LAW AND ORDER was my guilty pleasure. Dude loved to lean into people's faces.

Yukon_Do_It.jpg

Honorable mention:

<2>

I have all these episodes downloaded because even today the show is fucking hilarious and just great. Whenever my wife tries to put this episode on I immediately change it. Sorry not in the mood to cry like a bitch right now.

D'Onofrio in LAW AND ORDER was my guilty pleasure. Dude loved to lean into people's faces.

Yukon_Do_It.jpg

Lol I hated this Law and Order so much. This guy was so fucking annoying and the show always involved him coming up with some BS he pulled out of left field that they tried to pass off as him being some sort of savant.

I didn't rewatch the whole show but I did rewatch the whole Niles\Daphnee get together season. I really liked it when Niles finally got them together and the way they handled it.

Lol I hated this Law and Order so much. This guy was so fucking annoying and the show always involved him coming up with some BS he pulled out of left field that they tried to pass off as him being some sort of savant.
I know! Like Edward Norton he also re-wrote a fair amount of his own dialogue and it was comedy watching his partner stand there tolerating his being a no-laughs Kramer. After Michael Moriarty everyone else seemed a little comical. I always imagined Waterston was really a Black old actress in prosthetic make-up; there was something very Katharine Hepburn about him. Just give me the gong and I was happy.

Donofrio was the shit as Det Goren on Law and Order: Criminal Intent

the whole point was a realistic Mentalist/Sherlock Holmes type character

Back