Best acting of all time from a main character in a TV show?

a2197124610_16.jpg

Let's just say, I agree with this guy:

Dear Mister Cranston.

I wanted to write you this e-mail—so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber—I take it we are both represented by UTA . Great agency.

I’ve just finished a marathon of watching “BREAKING BAD”—from episode one of the First Season—to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON). A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.

I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!

Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen— ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I’ve sort of lost belief in anything really.

But this work of yours is spectacular—absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers . . . every department—casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that overused word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction, and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian, or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to—would you pass on my admiration to everyone—Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada—everyone —everyone gave master classes of performance . . . The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I’ve ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It’s almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this e-mail.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards,

Anthony Hopkins

Couldn't agree more.

Cranston's performance is up there with the very best tv, or cinema for that matter, has to offer.

All good choices, here's one that hasn't been brought up. Dude absolutely kills it as a dead eyed gypsy.
ff3e35ed1a5881d2c6ca8a28398c073a.jpg

I agree, I don't like including comedy either. This is why comedies seldom win Oscars.

I also don't wanna include actors who I think are close to their characters. I could've seen James Gandolfini calling someone a "f*ckin' mook!" and slapping them upside the head.

I like Michael C. Hall as Dexter, but he kinda seems like that in real life (not the serial killer part, the aloof, quiet guy part).

I'd put:

Bryan Cranston

bryan-cranston-lex-luthor.jpg

Andrew Lincoln

SJF3E5xyf8FS86moHBpQfF-480-80.jpg

Kevin Spacey House of Cards -

d3717fafd19f25b0312bde946f483bbe

Lena Headey is up there too

59b7f4bc9803c578288b45a6-750-563.jpg

You stole my entry! His acting was amazing.
I love House, but he ended up rapping at one point. Unforgivable.

They had a failed show together, but generally speaking I think the best television actors are John Lithgow and Jeffrey Tambor. Both as Dick Solomon and George Bluth, when they played respective twin characters I would suddenly realize I really believed I was looking at another character entirely. They are good both in the multi and single camera setups, transitioning between sitcom style broad acting and more nuanced and subtle reality. Great at comedy. Believable at anything, except in all my life they have never been "young." Lithgow especially could dial up drama and even menace. What impressed me was when he played his evil character for laughs on 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN.

If you get a chance, read Seinfeldia -- gives good insight on how he developed the character. Interesting that in the first season he played Kramer as "the dumbest guy in the room" but felt it was lacking, so he turned it and played the character as if Kramer thought he was the smartest guy in the room, and hilarity ensued.

Yeah in Season 1 he was just kind of a creepy weirdo.
Thanks for the recommendation.

As unoriginal as it sounds, I think James Gandolfini and Bryan Cranston are neck and neck with eachother when it comes to greatest TV performances. I might have Cranston just slightly ahead of Gandolfini if I had to choose one, but both these actors pulled off something truly special with their characters and showcased master-level talent.

The Nominees are.

Also I didn't purposely leave out any females. Lucille Ball was very close to making my list but its hard to include actors who did pure comedy always

Carroll O'connor as Archie Bunker
ArchieBunker-630x339.jpg

Bryan Cranston as Walter White
main-qimg-18f5d65cbddbe1daef63ca223c0c12c2-c

James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano
s-l300.jpg

Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson
latest

Michael K Williams as Omar Little
little.jpg

Matthew Mcconaughey as Rustin Cohle
true-detective-s3-mcconaughey.jpg

Decent list I'd go Rust as I can never spell McCounagusdhlf;kdue

Sam Waterston in Law & Order

Out of that list, Rust takes it for me. But I've not watched the Sopranos yet.

Out of any other TV Show, even with him not being the "main" guy, T-Bag deserves a mention.

Back