Besides GSP, has anyone else come out of a lengthy retirement/break and actually won?

I’ve heard several boxers say after a long layoff they can’t take the punishment like they used to take …. Nick had / has a legendary chin , so who knows
hmmmm....interesting, and that certainly doesn't bode well for Diaz. . . And lol, the whole point of taking time off is to give your brain a break....but he's speaking more slowly and more slurred than ever. So who knows?

I remember this. the crowd went nuts when Zombie started playing again for his walkout. However, he did fight Bermudez tho so bit of a soft landing. shrug.

Not really. Bermudez was in the top 10 at the time. This was before he went on the 3 fight skid of losing split decisions that ended his career.

Anthony Johnson won retired for almost 5 years, although his opponent wasn't much and he's in the hospital

BW GOAT and genius Dom Cruz knows that ring rust isn't real
there isn't much to worry about as long as nickolaus diaz has been training and eating clean vegan food

Not that many high profile guys have taken that long of a break. There are guys like Bas who came back after years of retirement to crush a can, and plenty of 2 year layoffs for injury or drug suspension though.

BW GOAT and genius Dom Cruz knows that ring rust isn't real
there isn't much to worry about as long as nickolaus diaz has been training and eating clean vegan food
Does the clean eating offset the alcoholism?

Fred Ettish came back after 15 years to notch a "W".

Brock Lesnar - 5 year layoff
Nate Diaz - 3 year layoff
Fedor - 3 and half year layoff
Chael - 4 year layoff, well he lost to Tito bu won twice after

Tbh 6 year layoff is quite uncommon in mma.

hmmmm....interesting, and that certainly doesn't bode well for Diaz. . . And lol, the whole point of taking time off is to give your brain a break....but he's speaking more slowly and more slurred than ever. So who knows?
I’m cheering for him and glad he’s making ok money

There's a lot of people. Tito took 2 years off almost and beat Chael. Barnett took 2 years off and beat Nelson. There's a lot unless you're talking about people who retired then came back years later.

I’ve heard several boxers say after a long layoff they can’t take the punishment like they used to take …. Nick had / has a legendary chin , so who knows

I’d think that would primarily be due to just getting older more than anything. (Almost) all great chins eventually crack.

Just curious, but peeps seem to overvalue the effect of time off vs being in wars. I'd rather have the time off.

Kerr knocked himself out in his big return.....

Tim Kennedy took a 2 year break (at exactly the same time USADA came into effect), came back and got knocked into permanent retirements by Gas.

Dom Cruz tore apart Miz and styled on TJ after 2 lengthy injury breaks.

Khabib blew passed MJ after a 2 year break.

My head head tells me that prime for prime Nick beats Robbie just because of their styles. Especially in a 5 rounder. Robbie would come out like a bull in a china shop and take round 1, but after that I would say Diaz takes the next 3 rounds and 5th round Robbie attempts to take Diaz's head off in the 5th but can't giving Diaz the decision.

But this damn 6 year break has to come into effect. Robbie is gun-shy but at least he's been training and fighting top competition. Nick has been smoking, drinking and going through life like he doesn't give a fuck about tomorrow. When read the last time Diaz ate a full 100% overhand right with negative intentions? When's the last time he had to think while dodging punches? I just can't see Diaz winning outside Robbie turning into a statue or doing his best Woodley impression.

So any other examples of fighters coming back after multiple years breaks and winning?

I feel there's a bunch of examples of fighters coming out out retirement and getting beat rather then them winning.

Prime for Prime?

As tough as Diaz was, and I don’t underrate him…. I don’t think Nick survives the beating Lawler put on Rory…. Call me crazy.

I don’t think Nick survives the beating Lawler put on Condit…. And I think Carlos won that belt!

Tonight???? Who TF knows.

Love both guys…. Pulling for Nick!

WAR 209

Back