Social Bernie Sanders' thoughts on identity politics

This completely went under the radar three years ago when Bernie made these comments.

https://www.wbur.org/politicker/2016/11/21/bernie-sanders-berklee

Does this come off as a surprise to anyone? I would have to think so considering how many view him as "ultra leftist." Either way, I one hundred percent agree with what he said here and it's refreshing to hear coming from a D candidate these days.

A reality check for the promoters of identity politics and the ones who believe Bernie is all about that.

TBH, he’s much stronger on this front when he’s not running for nomination of the Democrat party. When he’s going for that (D) after his name he starts flirting with the same bullshit as all the other (D)s

Bernie once tried to get on the Congressional Black Caucus.

It was over 20 years ago.

Yes. that is a true story. I had a professor in college that was a staffer for Bernie.

Bernie once tried to get on the Congressional Black Caucus.

It was over 20 years ago.

Yes. that is a true story. I had a professor in college that was a staffer for Bernie.

lol did he pull a Rachel Dolezal and show up sporting an afro?

Last edited by a moderator:
Real leftists focus on what matters: civil liberties, better benefits for workers, campaign finance, less wars, curbing corporate power, and things that actually impact someone's well-being. Identity politics and to a greater extent political correctness was embraced partially by the center-left as a means of getting brownie points from younger folks while appeasing their corporate masters.

I will say that identity politics is mostly a thing of the twitter brigade. Real people couldn't give a phuk.

Is that why they picked Biden?

60+ year olds and blacks picked Biden, not progressives. Leftists obviously tried to get Bernie through the primary.
Damn, is there anything "the blacks" wont be the scapegoat for?

Damn, is there anything "the blacks" wont be the scapegoat for?

They were always going to go with whoever the Clinton/Obama candidate was. I don't know why that is but it is. If you ask me Bill and Obama didn't do anything for the black community. Maybe it's a "vote for the devil you know" kind of thing.

They were always going to go with whoever the Clinton/Obama candidate was. I don't know why that is but it is. If you ask me Bill and Obama didn't do anything for the black community. Maybe it's a "vote for the devil you know" kind of thing.

You'd be correct in stating Obama and Clinton did jack shit for black voters. 'The devil you know' is kind of retarded though, wouldn't you agree? It's not a logical justification. I can't really think of a logical justification for voting Biden over Sanders, if you're black.

You don't know why black people picked the guy who was vice president to the first black president?

Really?

I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with 'shmacism.'

It's the southern Baptist black voters that helped Biden dominate on Super Tuesday. He doesn't have that kind of pull with the black community in northern states. The Clinton/Obama machine cultivated strong relationships with influential community leaders in the South, and Bernie faced an insurmountable obstacle to win their trust.

Real leftists focus on what matters: civil liberties, better benefits for workers, campaign finance, less wars, curbing corporate power, and things that actually impact someone's well-being. Identity politics and to a greater extent political correctness was embraced partially by the center-left as a means of getting brownie points from younger folks while appeasing their corporate masters.

I will say that identity politics is mostly a thing of the twitter brigade. Real people couldn't give a phuk.

No true scotsman?

He’s been fighting for working families his whole life.

I just wish he could admit Obama was a bad president.

This. Dude caved hard on sjw nonsense. And his willingness to ignore our borders is downright insane. He panders and his base is selfish and short sighted imho. I won't vote for this guy, ever.

Is Bernie pro-open borders? I thought he's not as crazy as the radical left. So he wants free healthcare, education, etc. for all, and at the same time wants to open the borders to everyone. From an economic point of view, this is the equivalent of people waving flags of Muslim states, including the ISIS flag, at gay marches.

Is Bernie pro-open borders? I thought he's not as crazy as the radical left. So he wants free healthcare, education, etc. for all, and at the same time wants to open the borders to everyone. From an economic point of view, this is the equivalent of people waving flags of Muslim states, including the ISIS flag, at gay marches.

I think k he did get I to open borders nonsense last year. Most of the radical Dems did at the time.
And yes, you can't have universal anything and unrestricted immigration. It's a recipe for disater

Is Bernie pro-open borders? I thought he's not as crazy as the radical left. So he wants free healthcare, education, etc. for all, and at the same time wants to open the borders to everyone.

He does not, but green party does.

Howie from the Green Party agrees with everything Bernie puts forward, but also wants to abolish ICE and open the borders.

Also
From an economic point of view, this is the equivalent of people waving flags of Muslim states, including the ISIS flag, at gay marches.

This is an example of a social situation where every race, gender and creed is appreciated in harmony with one another, especially if the ISIS flagwaver is supporting homosexuals at a pride march

Anyway it's a very large extreme of a leftist concept - which is that economic class - lower / middle / upper / 1% - should be one class. They put less stress on socio-political and religious issues when they run, like Bernie did, so their opponents manufacture extreme scenarios to get a vauge point across.

Back