Social Bernie Sanders' thoughts on identity politics

LuchaBear

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This completely went under the radar three years ago when Bernie made these comments.

The Vermont senator spoke to a sold-out crowd of more than 1,000 mostly young people at the Berklee Performance Center, promoting his book, “Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In.”

Asked by a questioner how she could become the second Latina senator in U.S. history, Sanders said a candidate's gender or race isn't enough.

"I have to know whether that Latina is going to stand up with the working class of this country and is going to take on big money interests," Sanders said.

He added:

[H]ere is my point -- and this is where there is going to be a division within the Democratic Party. It is not good enough for somebody to say, 'I'm a woman, vote for me.' No, that’s not good enough. What we need is a woman who has the guts to stand up to Wall Street, to the insurance companies, to the drug companies, to the fossil fuel industry.

In other words, one of the struggles that you’re going to be seeing in the Democratic Party is whether we go beyond identity politics. I think it’s a step forward in America if you have an African-American CEO of some major corporation. But you know what, if that guy is going to be shipping jobs out of this country, and exploiting his workers, it doesn’t mean a whole hell of a lot whether he’s black or white or Latino.

https://www.wbur.org/politicker/2016/11/21/bernie-sanders-berklee

Does this come off as a surprise to anyone? I would have to think so considering how many view him as "ultra leftist." Either way, I one hundred percent agree with what he said here and it's refreshing to hear coming from a D candidate these days.

A reality check for the promoters of identity politics and the ones who believe Bernie is all about that.

He's absolutely right.

who gives a fu*k if you're a woman, black, latino etc.

what do you believe? who will you fight for? what legislation will you propose/defend?

These are the questions Americans should be asking themselves, not "uhhhhhhh...derp derp...is he/she a POC??"

This completely went under the radar three years ago when Bernie made these comments.

https://www.wbur.org/politicker/2016/11/21/bernie-sanders-berklee

Does this come off as a surprise to anyone? I would have to think so considering how many view him as "ultra leftist." Either way, I one hundred percent agree with what he said here and it's refreshing to hear coming from a D candidate these days.

A reality check for the promoters of identity politics and the ones who believe Bernie is all about that.

Real leftists focus on what matters: civil liberties, better benefits for workers, campaign finance, less wars, curbing corporate power, and things that actually impact someone's well-being. Identity politics and to a greater extent political correctness was embraced partially by the center-left as a means of getting brownie points from younger folks while appeasing their corporate masters.

I will say that identity politics is mostly a thing of the twitter brigade. Real people couldn't give a phuk.

It’s still identity politics, it’s just working class vs the 1%

Better than racial politics, in my opinion, but it still is identity politics.

Bernie's old school, this identity politics intersectionality bs is relatively new.

The only identity politics when it comes to class is the libertarians and right wingers who believe deep down that they’re really, insanely rich but who are actually just as broke as everyone else who has to work for a living.

This, he cant answer any question without saying why it's important to hate billionaires

As a democrat, it bothers me to see a campaign fueled by hate coming from our side. If you replaced "billionaires" with "globalist jews" in his debate responses, he literally makes all the same arguments as nazis and current far right extremists.

Really doesnt feel to me like the democratic party I support

Real leftists focus on what matters: civil liberties, better benefits for workers, campaign finance, less wars, curbing corporate power, and things that actually impact someone's well-being. Identity politics and to a greater extent political correctness was embraced partially by the center-left as a means of getting brownie points from younger folks while appeasing their corporate masters.

I will say that identity politics is mostly a thing of the twitter brigade. Real people couldn't give a phuk.

Agreed, I hope other democrats will drop this shit, or the class warfare hostility, and focus on helping people prosper

190326-bernie-sanders-transgender-flags-cs-1016a_debe06b57c5e054e6380e6ef6d8b7b0e.fit-760w.jpg

Agreed, I hope other democrats will drop this shit, or the class warfare hostility, and focus on helping people prosper

Bro.. people will not prosper without "class warfare", because it exists and it's being waged against them.

The business class already got together and decided what is in their best interests, and hint: they want less benefits for US citizens and less regulation.

We have to band together against corporations and the uber rich, or we'll be eaten alive.

Lol Bernie plays identity politics for sure

Bernie's old school, this identity politics intersectionality bs is relatively new.

yep. BLM Broke Bernie. Literally broke him.

then we got to hear all the intersectional divisive leftist racism they everyone hates.

“White people don’t know what it’s like to be poor”. What kind of person can say that. You have to hope it’s just pandering to the awful leftist base and that he really doesn’t believe it.

he used to be for total border enforcement, as he knows immigration hurts the American worker and America’s poor. Now he’s another open borders lunatic. Again we have to hope he’s just pandering

then we got to hear all the intersectional divisive leftist racism they everyone hates.

“White people don’t know what it’s like to be poor”. What kind of person can say that. You have to hope it’s just pandering to the awful leftist base and that he really doesn’t believe it.

he used to be for total border enforcement, as he knows immigration hurts the American worker and America’s poor. Now he’s another open borders lunatic. Again we have to hope he’s just pandering
This. Dude caved hard on sjw nonsense. And his willingness to ignore our borders is downright insane. He panders and his base is selfish and short sighted imho. I won't vote for this guy, ever.

Kind of like pulling bootstraps huh?

Or I'm a Christian.

Let me guess that isn't ID politics somehow though.

ADOS and Foundational Black Americans are the cure to BLM rainbow alliance liberal politics. Tariq Nasheed and Yvette Carnell are more attune to the struggle of blacks in America than elite millionaires like Michelle Obama or Joy Reid. If Sanders can tap into this deep base and rally them to his cause then he’ll be unstoppable against any opponent.

Meh, my brother was denied a state job with CDF because he was white in 1994. This magic white privilege was screwing white people long ago.

Not at all. He hasn't appealed to identify politics at all during this primary. He wouldn't even commit to picking a woman as VP during the last debate when Biden announced he would. He's about policy first and foremost.

It may have been to his detriment actually since he never played up that he was involved in civil rights while Biden was lying about being in the civil Rights movement and meeting Nelson Mandela.

Back