Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Social Bernie Sanders' thoughts on identity politics

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by LuchaBear, Jan 13, 2020.

1. LuchaBear Silver Belt

This completely went under the radar three years ago when Bernie made these comments.

https://www.wbur.org/politicker/2016/11/21/bernie-sanders-berklee

Does this come off as a surprise to anyone? I would have to think so considering how many view him as "ultra leftist." Either way, I one hundred percent agree with what he said here and it's refreshing to hear coming from a D candidate these days.

A reality check for the promoters of identity politics and the ones who believe Bernie is all about that.

2. Social Distance Warrior Titanium Belt Platinum Member

He's absolutely right.

who gives a fu*k if you're a woman, black, latino etc.

what do you believe? who will you fight for? what legislation will you propose/defend?

These are the questions Americans should be asking themselves, not "uhhhhhhh...derp derp...is he/she a POC??"

3. DivineMind Brown Belt

Real leftists focus on what matters: civil liberties, better benefits for workers, campaign finance, less wars, curbing corporate power, and things that actually impact someone's well-being. Identity politics and to a greater extent political correctness was embraced partially by the center-left as a means of getting brownie points from younger folks while appeasing their corporate masters.

I will say that identity politics is mostly a thing of the twitter brigade. Real people couldn't give a phuk.

4. Mendacious Banned Banned

It’s still identity politics, it’s just working class vs the 1%

Better than racial politics, in my opinion, but it still is identity politics.

5. SRN SOCRATEEEES

Bernie's old school, this identity politics intersectionality bs is relatively new.

6. xcvbn Gold Belt

The only identity politics when it comes to class is the libertarians and right wingers who believe deep down that they’re really, insanely rich but who are actually just as broke as everyone else who has to work for a living.

7. MidnightSnacks** OTS enthusiast

This, he cant answer any question without saying why it's important to hate billionaires

As a democrat, it bothers me to see a campaign fueled by hate coming from our side. If you replaced "billionaires" with "globalist jews" in his debate responses, he literally makes all the same arguments as nazis and current far right extremists.

Really doesnt feel to me like the democratic party I support

8. MidnightSnacks** OTS enthusiast

Agreed, I hope other democrats will drop this shit, or the class warfare hostility, and focus on helping people prosper

9. JudoThrowFiasco Charming Quark Platinum Member

10. Rygu R.I.P. Obie Platinum Member

[​IMG]

11. DivineMind Brown Belt

Bro.. people will not prosper without "class warfare", because it exists and it's being waged against them.

The business class already got together and decided what is in their best interests, and hint: they want less benefits for US citizens and less regulation.

We have to band together against corporations and the uber rich, or we'll be eaten alive.

12. ShadowRun error Platinum Member

Lol Bernie plays identity politics for sure

13. TheGreatA Silver Belt

14. Happy Man Banned Banned

yep. BLM Broke Bernie. Literally broke him.

then we got to hear all the intersectional divisive leftist racism they everyone hates.

“White people don’t know what it’s like to be poor”. What kind of person can say that. You have to hope it’s just pandering to the awful leftist base and that he really doesn’t believe it.

he used to be for total border enforcement, as he knows immigration hurts the American worker and America’s poor. Now he’s another open borders lunatic. Again we have to hope he’s just pandering

15. Sketch (҂`_´) <,︻╦╤─ ҉ - - -USK

16. ElKarlo Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

This. Dude caved hard on sjw nonsense. And his willingness to ignore our borders is downright insane. He panders and his base is selfish and short sighted imho. I won't vote for this guy, ever.

17. VivaRevolution Banned Banned

Kind of like pulling bootstraps huh?

Or I'm a Christian.

Let me guess that isn't ID politics somehow though.

18. tatanos Blue Belt

ADOS and Foundational Black Americans are the cure to BLM rainbow alliance liberal politics. Tariq Nasheed and Yvette Carnell are more attune to the struggle of blacks in America than elite millionaires like Michelle Obama or Joy Reid. If Sanders can tap into this deep base and rally them to his cause then he’ll be unstoppable against any opponent.

19. lifelessheap Gold Belt

Meh, my brother was denied a state job with CDF because he was white in 1994. This magic white privilege was screwing white people long ago.

20. blaseblah Steel Belt

Not at all. He hasn't appealed to identify politics at all during this primary. He wouldn't even commit to picking a woman as VP during the last debate when Biden announced he would. He's about policy first and foremost.

It may have been to his detriment actually since he never played up that he was involved in civil rights while Biden was lying about being in the civil Rights movement and meeting Nelson Mandela.