Bernard wants one more fight, and a meaningful one.

DeJulez

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12170911/want-fight-one-fight-50

B-Hop said that he would like a shot at a light heavyweight belt but is comfortable dropping to Super-Middleweight.

"I made it happen with no regrets," Hopkins said. "Champions should fight champions. I've always tried to do that." So what is left for the "Alien" to do?

He said he'd like a chance to fight for another light heavyweight belt but also said he would be comfortable going down to the super middleweight division for a title shot, or even to face middleweight titlist/destroyer Gennady Golovkin at a catch weight.

"I skipped over super middleweight when I jumped up and made history by beating Tarver, but I'm not the biggest light heavyweight," Hopkins said. "Matter of fact, I'm considered one of the smallest light heavyweights of the last 15-20 years. So I can fight at super middleweight, but it has to be somebody who has a title or who is relevant."

Hopkins said he recalls Golovkin mentioning his name so he'd be willing to do that.

"He has nobody to fight who anybody cares about," Hopkins said. "It would be the best teaching to a student other than what I did to Kelly Pavlik. But I think Triple G is better than Kelly Pavlik. I can fight at 168 with no problem."

Another name Hopkins mentioned was unified titlist Carl Froch, the Englishman who badly wants to have a major fight in Las Vegas.

"Froch is a big fight that I think people would be interested in," Hopkins said. "It wouldn't be an easy fight, but it would be a good fight that would be challenging for both of us. I would entertain that. No problem. That would be something I could get up for. He's a credible guy and that's one of the guys that I'd like to fight if I'm going to do something special, if I do one more fight, two more fights -- nothing I can see past that -- that would be a good fight."

-ESPN

Hopkins-Golovkin or Hopkins-Froch

GGG vs Hopkins would be a very interesting fight, GGG haven't fought anyone close to Hopkins level but Bhop didn't look like himself vs Kovalev. It's hard to tell how well Hopkins going to do against Froch too, Froch's got insane conditioning and always seems to pull it of even when he's getting handled, but he's getting up there in age too. A couple of years ago I would pick Bhop over both of them but I don't really know anymore.

I could see both go either way. Both are pretty easy to hit. Just get his clinch game on

I could actually see him beating Froch in an ugly way. Probably the fight I'd choose for him.

I could actually see him beating Froch in an ugly way. Probably the fight I'd choose for him.

I agree. Froch has a weird way of throwing punches that I see being easy for Bhop to quick jab or single right hand counter into a clinch.

I am very interested in the Froch fight. GGG would be good too, but I see more fights for GGG on the horizon than Froch. Froch wants one big fight and then plans on retiring, so Hopkins would definitely offer that big opportunity.

I see Hopkins beating Froch, but GGG would be interesting.

Last edited:
I'm sure Bernard wants to throw himself in there against a top guy for millions. Just retire already.

Would rather Bernard fought Ward. It Would be a fitting passing of the torch, and possibly sets up Ward vs Kovalev.

I dont think Nard fights Froch...he couldn't bare being beat up by another white boy. Hes already angling for the smaller GGG.

I'm trying to think who the softest title holder around LHW or cruiserweight is. Bernard has his eye on some plodder.

I'm trying to think who the softest title holder around LHW or cruiserweight is. Bernard has his eye on some plodder.

Well he's definitely not beating huck, Hernandez, or kovalev. Don't think he beats Stevenson either.

giphy.gif

Dude has one of the best careers in the history of the sport, and you STILL talk shit about him.

Haters gon' hate I guess.

I'd love to see Hopkins clown Stevenson, but Adonis wouldn't take the fight.

Feed Bernard to GGG. This should be a great way to launch GGG to super stardom.

Dude has one of the best careers in the history of the sport, and you STILL talk shit about him.
Hopkins doesn't have one of the best resumes in boxing history.

I think he is mostly famous for his longevity.. I kind of think of Bernard as the Cal Ripken Jr. of boxing.

Back