1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Bernard Hopkins returns vs. Jean Pascal

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by JerseyRob, Sep 1, 2010.

1. JerseyRob

JerseyRob Brown Belt

2. FreshPrince

FreshPrince Banned Banned

It would be a shame if this was on PPV. Hopefully Showtime picks it up. I'm surprised HBO passed it up. Hopkins is a legend and a decent name, Pascal just won the belt on their air, and they usually have a cozy relationship with Golden Boy.

3. M o A

M o A Banned Banned

Come on b hop do me proud!!!!

4. Dizaster

Dizaster White Belt

Surely if Pascal wins(which I fully expect him too) the fans will say that this proves nothing as he's not in his prime like they did when Joe Calzaghe won who arguably wasn't in his prime either.

The more Pascal wins though certainly makes Froch's win over him look better and better.

5. pittelp

pittelp Smokin Joe belt winner

This should be interesting.

6. JerseyRob

JerseyRob Brown Belt

Joe wasn't in his prime? People need to understand that not every fighter hits his prime at the same age. Joe just came off beating Kessler which was by far his most credible win at the time and was mature and showed absolutley no sign of slowing down as far as hand speed and punching volume. I would love to hear when you think Joe Calzaghe was in his prime if he wasn't in his prime then.

As far as Froch goes his next match with AA is all that matters. Two losses in a row is all people will care about because boxing is what have you done for me lately. Last time I checked after Dawson got beat by Pascal people hardly cared about him having a W over Adamek. That being said I do fully expect Froch vs. AA to be the most action packed fight of the tourney and should be fun to watch.

7. M o A

M o A Banned Banned

If the B Hop that fought Pavlik turns up, Pascal will experience his second loss.

8. Abishai**

Abishai** Black Belt

B-Hop sure does go after the best doesn't he?

(except that fight with the Mexican fella before RJJ)

9. hoonosewot88

hoonosewot88 Brown Belt

Nice fight, i expect B-Hop to win it as well, even at his age. Pascal is a solid fighter, but i question his boxing brain at times, and i think B-Hop is a nightmare opponent for him. Someone who is an expert at dragging the fight down to his level and moulding it to fit his gameplan, and i don't think Pascal has enough wits about him to stop B-Hop doing it.

If the B-Hop that fought Pavlik or even the one that fought Calzaghe turns up i expect him to take it. Pascal should be game but i don't see him stopping Hopkins, and if he can't stop him i can see Bernard clinching and scrapping his way to a clear decision.

10. spiralingintro

spiralingintro White Belt

Hop for the win. Agreed, obviously a smarter fighter than Pascal. A busy Hopkins (a la Pavlik fight) clearly wins this.

11. tango machine

tango machine Purple Belt

People also need to understand that talking about prime is a waste of fucking time.

It's subjective and can only really be carried out properly in retrospect.

12. Zodiak_Killer

Zodiak_Killer Blue Belt

If it's in Monteal then Pascal will get a decision. Even if he's knocked cold.

Hopkins flaw is busy fighters, not fast fighters. Pascal isn't busy enough to give Hopkins real trouble.

I expect Hopkins to drag out a rough fight and put a not so flashy beating on pascal....then loose a split decision in Monteal which he will bitch about after for months.

13. consortium11

consortium11 Slip The Jab

I don't like this fight.

Really, really, really don't like this fight.

It's not just that it'll be boring (it will... Hopkins pretty much can't be in an exciting fight these days), it's not just that Hopkins really doesn't deserve it (beating the ghost of RJJ does nothing), it's not just that Hopkins will go into hibernation with the title when he wins it.

I dislike Chad Dawson. Yet Dawson chased Hopkins for years... and as soon as he loses the belt suddenly B-Hop steps up?

Yeah...

Respect for Hopkins... who you can't accuse of not taking tough fights (every so often when he has something huge to gain). But this fight leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Oh well, if Hopkins wins and then avoids Chad then we may get to see Cloud smash Dawson at last.

Or Cloud could treat Dawson like Dawson treated him and leave him out in the dark to rot away what was once a promising career.

14. ssx

ssx Brown Belt

Cloud impressed me in his last fight with Glencoffe. He is still flawed and a little green, but I really think he may be the best at 175. I like his heart, toughness and power...

15. dg43088

dg43088 Guest

I need to be sold on Hopkins winning the fight because I think the clock struck 12 for him and his time is up. As great a fighter as he has been for the better part of 2 decades i simply don't know how much this man has left and I fear he will lose this fight not because he's going to be overwhelmed but because he's not going to be busy enough like against Calzaghe. I hope I'm wrong because I'm a big fan of hopkins but I need to see it to believe it the man is 45 just how long can he continue to be top dog?

16. ThirdPartyView

ThirdPartyView Keeping Jack Dempsey from ducking

This, a thousand times this - if you're going to a fighter's hometown, you better be ready to (T)KO him because you can't expect fair scorecards (despite the shockingly fair scores for Dawson-Pascal).