1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Bernard Hopkins, Jean Pascal to fight

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by 11b83, Sep 1, 2010.

1. 11b83

11b83 Purple Belt

By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com

Bernard Hopkins has made a career of proving naysayers wrong.

"The Executioner" did it when he knocked out Felix Trinidad to become the undisputed middleweight champion in 2001 in a major upset. He did it again when he dominated heavily favored Antonio Tarver to win the light heavyweight title in 2006. And he did it yet again when he thrashed then-middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik, the big favorite, in a 2008 nontitle bout.

Now, Hopkins is hoping to do it one more time when he meets newly crowned light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal.

They are slated to meet Dec. 18 in Quebec City after agreeing to terms, both sides told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

"We agreed on everything," Hopkins said. "There is no issue. There is no problem with my side or Pascal's side. The contracts have been drafted. It's a done deal. All I gotta do is sign."

Hopkins said he is reviewing the contract, but "I'll probably sign it before Friday because the [Labor Day] holiday is coming up and I'm going away for a few days."

Said Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, Hopkins' promoter, "The fact is that both sides have agreed to the terms. Now we have to get it signed, but I don't anticipate any problems.

"Both fighters really wanted the fight. If you have two fighters who really want to fight each other then I think the promoters just have to cross the T's and dot the I's. I am excited to work with [Pascal promoter] Yvon Michel. I'm really looking forward to it."

Don Majeski, an agent for Michel, also said the fight had been agreed to.

"It's a big fight for Pascal and a big fight in Quebec," Majeski said. "Hopkins is one of the biggest stars in boxing and those are the kind of fights Pascal wants."

Schaefer said he and Michel were still working out television plans.

"It could be live on Showtime. We're having discussions," Schaefer said. "Or it could be pay-per-view."

Schaefer said he hoped to make a deal with Showtime. He called it the "perfect platform" for the fight because the winner, particularly if it's Pascal, would be a logical opponent to face the winner of the network's Super Six World Boxing Classic super middleweight tournament, which is taking place in the weight class just below light heavyweight. Although HBO televised Pascal-Dawson, it is not interested in Pascal-Hopkins, Schaefer said.

Pascal, 27, who was born in Haiti but lives in the province of Quebec, scored a major upset when he clearly won an 11-round technical decision against Chad Dawson on Aug. 14 in Montreal to retain his alphabet title and win the vacant Ring magazine title, which recognizes the lineal champion of a division.

"I was impressed by one thing in Dawson that's very important," Hopkins said. "I was impressed that he came in to win no matter what and he delivered. You are judged by delivery and Pascal delivered. He bewildered, befuddled and he took Chad Dawson's confidence."

Although Pascal owes Dawson a contractual rematch, he is permitted to take an interim fight and has said repeatedly he wanted to fight Hopkins.

2. LOKO DE MIAMI

LOKO DE MIAMI Blue Belt

IN MY OWN PERSONAL HELL. WERE THE GOVERNMENT HAS L
    the coments he(hopkins) makes about mma make him look so ignorant. I mean come on, calling mma "bar-fighting"??? wtf. I love the avatar btw

3. The Green Lantern

The Green Lantern Beware My Power...

Wow!

If the old man can pull it off against Pascal, it will be amazing. Im always a Hopkins fan, but I dont think it will happen. This figures to be a very interesting fight, though! Lets go, B-Hop!

4. spiralingintro

spiralingintro White Belt

Win! Hop will be the legit LHW Champ again! UD12

5. trufighter15**

trufighter15** White Belt

Good for Hopkins. One of the best boxers of all time, def. overrated in many peoples eyes. I think he should be in the top 10 talk.

6. Frank23

Frank23 Godfather Belt Platinum Member

I hope this fight happens.

7. squanto

squanto White Belt

is it to much too ask for this old prick to retire. yet another boring hopkins fight in which he tries to stink out his opponent and steal the win. another boring, foul filled clinch fest.

8. xfightcityx

xfightcityx Green Belt

I think Hopkins is going to get beat. He looked his age during his last fight

9. pittelp

pittelp Smokin Joe belt winner

I look forward to it.

10. McMurder

McMurder Blue Belt

Hopkins is a great fighter but his style is painful to watch. Can't say he's avoiding tough competition getting in there with Pascal. As much as I respect Bernard I hope Pascal shows him to the door in this one and the guy can retire.

11. Dragonstyle915

Dragonstyle915 Brown Belt

Pascal is gonna knock him out