Bernard Hopkins got knockout the ring yesterday and it was hilarious

Gladiator.gif

I don't think Hopkins is a racist. I do think that he says that dumb shit for fights (and it's safe to say that everybody has slipped and said something racist without actually being racist - but most of us are pretty decent humans, right? But we also have the luxury of not having cameras in front of us), but I've seen him be too even in his judgment when it's not about ego or whatever before a fight. I also don't think that Hopkins hurt his ankle (or even his shoulder against Dawson), but I do think that insisting that was the case will take legitimacy off the win of his opponent and may even create a no-contest instead of a TKO. I can't say I agree with him, but I also know that deception is the name of the game when he fights. It's one of the things that has made him remarkably successful so far into the twilight of most people's lives - so you gotta take the good with the bad. For a 51 year old soon to be 52 year old, I thought he did well, but he looked just a touch slower than usual, and his breathing a bit more laboured than I was used to seeing. I think he languished along the ropes in the way that he wouldn't have years ago. It showed that he didn't have the legs anymore. The punch was never there at LHW and he couldn't do enough other things to frustrate Smith Jr., who for his own part collected a withered scalp from a former champion. Nobody really 'won' last night in my opinion. Probably obvious stuff right here haha. I think that last fight was an awful idea - much like Hatton's comeback against whoever a couple years back - and I hope he stays retired.

I hope his questions are answered and that being knocked out of the ring symbolically showed that he is out of the sport now.

If anyone has read the short story titled "A Piece of Steak" by Jack London, it is worth a read. Whenever a fighter hangs on too long (whether for pride or money or competitiveness or whatever), this story comes to mind. I have included the link below:

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/steak.html

Say what you want about Hopkins, but he did it his way — falling out of the ring and trying to get a no contest.

fucking scumbag of a man

and to whoever said he had been planning to retire, he promised his dying mother he would retire as soon as he turned 40 years old

You know, I was preparing a " I never liked him but respected him" speech as the fight was winding down but then Bernard reminded me why I've always viewed him as a joke. The more I watch that gif of Bernard eating shots and getting launched out of the ring, the more I enjoy it.

That's how u handle a 50 year old courpse, Sir Gay krusher. Smith should now go KO Stevenson and take the Lineal title.

Bernard got his ass beat down by a whiteboy. This will be his most humiliating defeat of his career. Bernard has also been a racist himself; it was hilarious watching a white boxer give him the first knock out of his career and doing it in astonishing fashion. :)

You know, I was preparing a " I never liked him but respected him" speech as the fight was winding down but then Bernard reminded me why I've always viewed him as a joke. The more I watch that gif of Bernard eating shots and getting launched out of the ring, the more I enjoy it.

My thoughts exactly. This fight was a perfect ending to his whinny-ass career. Really it couldn't have been scripted any better.

In the post fight interview, Max suggested a possible opponent for Joe Smith Jr. Who was that opponent?

It is what it is, but this thread really points out some cunty trolls.
Nice work.

Nothing hilarious about that douche. Bernard is a legend.

Hopkins attempted a trust fall, but nobody caught him lol

Anyway, bhop bit off way more than he could chew. Smith is a young and dangerous puncher. Hate to see him go out like that, but he asked for it.

Last edited:
Bitch hop was never entertaining inside of the ring anyway

Bernard Hopkins is like 50 or something. Shame that a legend of the sport like him keeps fighting , probably has to.

That being said he is an asshole and a racist so i don't feel too bad for him.

how?? i thought he was working with Golden Boy Promotions. he should have retired a long time ago, but instead he got KO'ed so hard that the force of the blow threw him out of the ring like in Ashita no joe.

I mean, Hopkins earned his enemies and detractors over his career. The people who don't like him can have their day and convince themselves he was whatever they need him to be to feel better about themselves.

I mean, Hopkins earned his enemies and detractors over his career. The people who don't like him can have their day and convince themselves he was whatever they need him to be to feel better about themselves.
Unfortunately it does't take a lot of convincing when it comes to Hopkins.

Back