Berimbolo - How effective is it ?

Does anyone know how to prevent the opponent from re-boloing you back?
Any details or counters to the rebolo?

Can you be more specific? What is happening in your situation?

[YT]j3fmIiEQFBU[/YT]

This.

Last edited:
When people do that try that on me there are a couple things I do. For one get moving. Don't sit there upside down. If you do need some time and someone tries this, I usually re-roll into a leg drag or switch my leg across and go for mount.

Personally I hate berimbolo, upside down guard, or anything that doesn't work in MMA or street fight. BJJ that we all saw in the 90's to mid 2000's was really good. No bullshit, going for submissions, solid fundamentals, etc. BJJ now a days is mostly scissoring each other's legs playing footsies, people not wanting to go for submissions and is content with these advantages, doing dumb shits like berimbolo or upside down guard when they haven't even mastered a collar choke or how to open the close guard, etc.

Bring back old school BJJ! Screw these new school idiots!

Personally I hate berimbolo, upside down guard, or anything that doesn't work in MMA or street fight. BJJ that we all saw in the 90's to mid 2000's was really good. No bullshit, going for submissions, solid fundamentals, etc. BJJ now a days is mostly scissoring each other's legs playing footsies, people not wanting to go for submissions and is content with these advantages, doing dumb shits like berimbolo or upside down guard when they haven't even mastered a collar choke or how to open the close guard, etc.

Bring back old school BJJ! Screw these new school idiots!

Yeah Rafa is waiting for you to teach him how he is an idiot playing for advantages.

Just shut up...

Yeah Rafa is waiting for you to teach him how he is an idiot playing for advantages.

Just shut up...

First if all, why are you even name dropping? Hahaha!

I'm not going to be a f**king name dropper like you cause that's just lame, but all the new school guys will never transition well into MMA. If they do that kind of shit in a street fight, someone will kill them with a soccer kick right in the mother f**king mouth! I guarantee you that won't be pretty. It'll be a bloody mess!

I don't get into street fights and have no plans to do MMA. I like to do it as a sport for fun and I don't represent it any other way.

please show me how you sprawl out of a berimbolo. i'm very curious.

Agreed! I think the guys discounting berimbolo have a cart-before-the-horse impression of the technique. I hit it on all kinds. I hit it in MMA practice. I don't berimbolo a guy who is standing, I use a DLR tomoenage to dump a guy on his side, and then rather than scrambling to top side, I granby to back control. Simple, easy, and effective even in "fight" jiu jitsu.

First if all, why are you even name dropping? Hahaha!

I'm not going to be a f**king name dropper like you cause that's just lame, but all the new school guys will never transition well into MMA. If they do that kind of shit in a street fight, someone will kill them with a soccer kick right in the mother f**king mouth! I guarantee you that won't be pretty. It'll be a bloody mess!

Does it upset you that there are berimbolo'ing 15 year olds who can beat you in bjj and mma fighters that can beat you in a street fight?

Does it upset you that there are berimbolo'ing 15 year olds who can beat you in bjj and mma fighters that can beat you in a street fight?

I'm sure that upsets your ass when you get owned in BJJ and in a street fight. LOL!

Last edited:
I'm sure that upsets your ass when you get owned in BJJ and in a street fight. LOL!

You seem like the kind of guy who gets caught in an armbar then tries to coach the other guy on how to finish.

Anyone having any sucess trying a rolling back take from top off DLR? I saw a guy at a local tournament pull this off twice, looked fairly proficient at it.

Basically rolling away from the DLR hook on top and ending up on the back.

Anyone having any sucess trying a rolling back take from top off DLR? I saw a guy at a local tournament pull this off twice, looked fairly proficient at it.

Basically rolling away from the DLR hook on top and ending up on the back.

It is a bit difficult if the opponent gas solid grips

It is a bit difficult if the opponent gas solid grips

Yeah I was having a little trouble, but was having more success when they go collar/foot grips. Break the collar grip, back step a little then go for it. Much higher percentage for me. Haven't tried it if they have belt grip or double sleeve.

Back