Berimbolo - How effective is it ?

Yes, 100%. That's exactly it. I find it easier. I like being able to keep the grips tight and lift them up while I do the leg work, as opposed to the typical berimbolo where I feel like I almost have to "catch up" to them as I'm finishing the movement. I need to just do the normal berimbolo more. My preference for going to the twister hook is 100% due to the fact that I've drilled it more, and I used to do the ninja roll/rolling back take before the berimbolo got big, So I was used to having my same side leg hooked through (my right leg to their right leg, my left to their left). When I try the rolling back take using the opposite leg, I also have some more difficulty with that.

If you're having a hard time picturing the rolling back take using the opposite leg, here you go:

how are your grips?
Because when i go for the inverted x and change my grip from the pant leg to the hip I just get my leg/hooks kicked off and then I don't really know what to do..
Any tips..

how are your grips?
Because when i go for the inverted x and change my grip from the pant leg to the hip I just get my leg/hooks kicked off and then I don't really know what to do..
Any tips..

Hmmm. When are you changing the grip? Sorry, it's a complicated technique to type about.

If my left leg is the DLR hook on their right leg, their hips drop to the mat, I invert. My right hand is on their belt and my left hand is on their right ankle/pants. Once I lift to switch to the twister hook, regardless of if I x my legs or not, I don't take my left hand off of their pants leg/ankle once I set the twister hook. I don't know if that's improper technique or not, but I usually start to extend my twister hook first and then start to grab their hips and latch onto the seatbelt. I don't usually let go of the pants grip to the hip before I start the final motion.

Shit, now I'm wondering if that's the case. :icon_neut I've never really thought about it before. We have an open mat today. I'll drill it a couple times and see what I do with that grip and I'll reply back here if it's different than what I just said. But I'm pretty sure that I do not release the pants/ankle to go for the hip or upper body until I start to extend my twister hook.

EDIT: Regardless, if you use your non twister hook leg to support your hooking leg (like using the sole of your foot to brace under your hooking foot's ankle/heel) that's probably enough security to keep them from kicking out as you reach to grab the hip. It sounds like maybe the twister hook isn't super tight? Everytime someone really good at it has done it one me, I have not felt like I could really kick their legs away very easily. There's sometimes even some pressure on my knee joint. Also you're not talking to an expert. Take all of this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Hmmm. When are you changing the grip? Sorry, it's a complicated technique to type about.

If my left leg is the DLR hook on their right leg, their hips drop to the mat, I invert. My right hand is on their belt and my left hand is on their right ankle/pants. Once I lift to switch to the twister hook, regardless of if I x my legs or not, I don't take my left hand off of their pants leg/ankle once I set the twister hook. I don't know if that's improper technique or not, but I usually start to extend my twister hook first and then start to grab their hips and latch onto the seatbelt. I don't usually let go of the pants grip to the hip before I start the final motion.

Shit, now I'm wondering if that's the case. :icon_neut I've never really thought about it before. We have an open mat today. I'll drill it a couple times and see what I do with that grip and I'll reply back here if it's different than what I just said. But I'm pretty sure that I do not release the pants/ankle to go for the hip or upper body until I start to extend my twister hook.

EDIT: Regardless, if you use your non twister hook leg to support your hooking leg (like using the sole of your foot to brace under your hooking foot's ankle/heel) that's probably enough security to keep them from kicking out as you reach to grab the hip. It sounds like maybe the twister hook isn't super tight? Everytime someone really good at it has done it one me, I have not felt like I could really kick their legs away very easily. There's sometimes even some pressure on my knee joint. Also you're not talking to an expert. Take all of this with a grain of salt.

No this is perfect - in trumpet dans video he gets the X on the leg and then grabs the hip with the hand that before was holding the pant leg - when I do this my hooks get kicked off before i get to fight for the twister hook..
Also as far as I remember Rafa grabs the hip to lift your opponent on top of you to get closer before inserting the twister hook - but again if i let go of the pant leg before while inverted and both legs hooking his he just "kicks" them off ..
I actually tried holding on to the pant leg once inverted(the one where my dlr hook used to be) and it felt much safer - so this is basically what you do - you don't let go of the leg before you have your twister hook right?

Btw - how do you get the twister hook if you are not doing the inverted X thingy, with your feet?

Btw - how do you get the twister hook if you are not doing the inverted X thingy, with your feet?

I will often time just push their leg into place w/ my non-twister hook leg. Meaning want to get the twister hook w/ the r leg, I'll often just use my left foot to push (close to their achilles) their leg up and out a little to get my R leg twister hook.

No this is perfect - in trumpet dans video he gets the X on the leg and then grabs the hip with the hand that before was holding the pant leg - when I do this my hooks get kicked off before i get to fight for the twister hook..
Also as far as I remember Rafa grabs the hip to lift your opponent on top of you to get closer before inserting the twister hook - but again if i let go of the pant leg before while inverted and both legs hooking his he just "kicks" them off ..
I actually tried holding on to the pant leg once inverted(the one where my dlr hook used to be) and it felt much safer - so this is basically what you do - you don't let go of the leg before you have your twister hook right?

I do something similiar w/ mixed results. Often times I hold the leg and pull my body closer and/or their hips to me or higher, then switch to the far hip w/ my hand. If I land close or they have their hips up high for me, I'll just go ahead and grab for the far hip while kicking down w/ my hooking leg to put pressure on the to turn away from me, making it hard to just kick out.

I will often time just push their leg into place w/ my non-twister hook leg. Meaning want to get the twister hook w/ the r leg, I'll often just use my left foot to push (close to their achilles) their leg up and out a little to get my R leg twister hook.

This is exactly what I do also. In fact I do it more often than the inverted x hook thing. You'd think that they could slip their leg off for foot but it's very secure.

And nijak05, yes, you're right. I don't really let go of the pant leg before getting in the twister hook. I tried it tonight by grabbing the hip and it actually felt pretty decent as I put in the twister hook, but I still think I prefer the pants leg.

This is exactly what I do also. In fact I do it more often than the inverted x hook thing. You'd think that they could slip their leg off for foot but it's very secure.

When doing it this way do you still maintain a grip on the pantleg or no?
I am going to open mat today so will try this method, but since i am pretty visual learner do you have any videos where it is shown?

When doing it this way do you still maintain a grip on the pantleg or no?
I am going to open mat today so will try this method, but since i am pretty visual learner do you have any videos where it is shown?

There are a couple examples in this one, check the second match on here, something similar to that:

[YT]dooHY2nBoGs[/YT]

There are a couple examples in this one, check the second match on here, something similar to that:

[YT]dooHY2nBoGs[/YT]

Thnaks will check it our later.
I drilled it today and when only doing tech. - no resistance i do fine.
But the while trying situational sparring from double guard pull to berimbolo to twister hook i didn

Keep practicing you will get it. If they are focusing on their legs, attack their back/neck to distract them.

Keep practicing you will get it. If they are focusing on their legs, attack their back/neck to distract them.

In the miyao vid you posted, 2nd match, i see him clamping/flexing his leg (the one that had the de la riva hook) around the oponents leg that gets twister hooked and controling the free leg of the oponent with his arm (initially) before going to the hips -actually like you would do while going for a regular bolo..
TV2lRaP

Maybe i should try it that way and not just focus on holding on to the de la riva hooked leg..

Check Mikey Muscumeci's stuff too, he is really good at getting the opponents hips UP

Check Mikey Muscumeci's stuff too, he is really good at getting the opponents hips UP

I have searched him on youtube but not getting that many hits..
Do you have any links?

I have searched him on youtube but not getting that many hits..
Do you have any links?

I'll check his FB/instagram page and also youtube when I get home from work.

It works in sport BJJ, I think no one's dumb to do it on street or whatever.

In a street fight against an untrained slob anything would work. You would get your clothes dirty while inverting which would suck

Does anyone know how to prevent the opponent from re-boloing you back?
Any details or counters to the rebolo?

Back