Berimbolo - How effective is it ?

had0uken

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
How effective is the Berimbolo ? I see a lot of guys in GI use it, but not in noGI, and MMA.

I always wanted to try and train it. I am pretty flexible when it comes to doing granby rolls, and I've searched up some videos online by Stephen Kesting. Any of you guys recommend training this move against bigger guys ?

If not, what alternatives do you use against standing guys who posture up different(90 degree bent forward, standing tall, sprawling back pressuring you down? ) Anti guard player here! :) Hehe!

It's not that good if you're only training sport BJJ. It's more of a pure self-defense technique.

Its a GREAT technique...if:

- Your opponent is physically weak
- Your opponent has bad balance
- Your opponent is not a former D1 wrestler
- Your opponent has a hip problem that prevents the sprawl motion
- Your opponent is not named anything ending with Mendes

Otherwise, may not work that well.

Its a GREAT technique...if:

- Your opponent is physically weak
- Your opponent has bad balance
- Your opponent is not a former D1 wrestler
- Your opponent has a hip problem that prevents the sprawl motion
- Your opponent is not named anything ending with Mendes

Otherwise, may not work that well.
LoL, ok

Figures. Any basic sweeps for standing opponents while playing open guard from there ? Ones that actually work.

I think its funny that everyone hates on the berimbolo. "that wouldn't work in the streets" - "thats a dumb move that doesn't work"

1. A lot of jiu jitsu moves may or may not work on the streets. I guarantee you that someone could pull off a berimbolo on some dufus in a street fight IF they wanted to. Would it be smart or practical? Hell no but as soon as you got your DLR hook in on an untrained guy and started to spin he would most likely fall over. Haven't you guys ever trained with a noob before and just switch your hips and they fall over like a baby?

2. An ext to the above; I love triangles but I probably wouldnt triangle someone in the streets...I don't want to get powerbombed (I know you can usually prevent it grabbing the leg but still).

3. I think most people hate on it because they have never done it / never tried to do it / can't do it. I had heard of it for years and thought it was a dumb flashy move and never paid it any mind until a black belt at my gym told me it would work well with my game so I started doing it and I've hit it on everyone from white belt to black belt, d1 wrestlers, big guys, small guys, gi and no gi ect ect.

*disclaimer: I'm not encouraging someone try it in a street fight - as I said above I know it wouldnt be the brightest idea.

I think its funny that everyone hates on the berimbolo. "that wouldn't work in the streets" - "thats a dumb move that doesn't work"

:werd:

I'm a sport BJJ guy and I'm also a cop.

I don't flop on my ass and go for a berimbolo when i have to use force to take someone into custody. I realized not everybody on the street is a Judo/BJJ blackbelt or D1 wrestler. A foot sweep-->KOB-->wrist manipulation are usually all you need to take someone down.

I personally think comparing BJJ or MMA techs to "tha street" is dumb because for one, street fighting is for dumb rednecks. And two....I carry a gun if I'm anywhere where a street fight may be a possibility (and I'm almost NEVER in a place like that haha).

I've had the berimbolo tried on me often, and just my opinion, but if you are physically strong, have a strong base with good balance, can sprawl, and just sit your hips down hard and heavy, I've never had a problem negating it. And it was blue belts, a couple purples, who have tried it. Strong wrestler types with some knowledge of the technique can defeat it, in my opinion.

So, as far as SPORT based BJJ....I don't like it. The new wave of grappling is having guys with a lot of strength and wrestling base, and if you are gonna take time to rep out a technique, do one that you'll have success with.

I may get swept and submitting by a white belt using berimbolo in the next tournament, who knows. But my 2 cents is that it just isn't effective for 99.9% of grapplers if their opponent is smart, strong and has a wrestling base.

You need to put faith in it as well as you head under your opponent's butt

:werd:

I'm a sport BJJ guy and I'm also a cop.

I don't flop on my ass and go for a berimbolo when i have to use force to take someone into custody. I realized not everybody on the street is a Judo/BJJ blackbelt or D1 wrestler. A foot sweep-->KOB-->wrist manipulation are usually all you need to take someone down.

Hey, I used to be "blue line" also, for about 7 years.

You're right. In "tha street", most opponents have absolutely no training at all, are out of shape and/or intoxicated. But, weapons are a game changer for sure. Imagine worst-case scenario, on your back in a corner, and you throw a guy in a triangle....and he pulls a knife and stabs into the pooper!!

I used to tell my former coworkers who wanted to learn jiujitsu for law enforcement...>DONT!! Learn wrestling so you can get the f**k up!!! Get up, get up, get up...the ground is no place to be. Unless they were willing to sign up and dedicate to years of learning jiujitsu....the only thing worse than being clueless on the ground is to take a couple classes, and THINK you are great on the ground when you aren't haha.

How effective is the Berimbolo ? I see a lot of guys in GI use it, but not in noGI, and MMA.

I always wanted to try and train it. I am pretty flexible when it comes to doing granby rolls, and I've searched up some videos online by Stephen Kesting. Any of you guys recommend training this move against bigger guys ?

If not, what alternatives do you use against standing guys who posture up different(90 degree bent forward, standing tall, sprawling back pressuring you down? ) Anti guard player here! :) Hehe!

It is so effective that people no longer wants to play top and the IBJJF HAD to create a rule to force people to take top position.

Berimbolo > IBJJF rules.

I think people spend 10X more time training how to do it, than defend it.

I use it to lay ass whoopins on my little brother all the time lol

basically it was created by helio as a way to transition to the back for infertile love making with his wife.

I personally think comparing BJJ or MMA techs to "tha street" is dumb because for one, street fighting is for dumb rednecks. And two....I carry a gun if I'm anywhere where a street fight may be a possibility (and I'm almost NEVER in a place like that haha).

I've had the berimbolo tried on me often, and just my opinion, but if you are physically strong, have a strong base with good balance, can sprawl, and just sit your hips down hard and heavy, I've never had a problem negating it. And it was blue belts, a couple purples, who have tried it. Strong wrestler types with some knowledge of the technique can defeat it, in my opinion.

So, as far as SPORT based BJJ....I don't like it. The new wave of grappling is having guys with a lot of strength and wrestling base, and if you are gonna take time to rep out a technique, do one that you'll have success with.

I may get swept and submitting by a white belt using berimbolo in the next tournament, who knows. But my 2 cents is that it just isn't effective for 99.9% of grapplers if their opponent is smart, strong and has a wrestling base.

Man you are saying that the single most effective technique at current sport bjj isn't to 99% of grapplers because some blues and purples at your gym can't do it to you? Really?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back