Beretta PX4 9mm

markulous

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
*UPDATED Post 35*

So I went to the range today with my Bayard .32(pic below) for the first time, and I guess it was what a expected for a 95 year old gun. The magazine was a bitch to eject and insert and the trigger was incredibly stiff. The worst part obviously being that I'm a tall guy with big hands and the grip is ridiculous. The slide kept nipping me too. I got the gun from my mom, who got it from her grandma. It was made for German military in 1916. It's the only handgun I own and just finally got around to shooting it.

Anyway, I haven't shot many handguns so I asked the gents at the counter for all the 9mm they had so I could pick one to shoot. I asked them their opinions and the one that they agreed on, and felt the best in my hand, was the Beretta PX4. I fired off a box of ammo. Love the grip on it, not much recoil(which is good obviously), perfect amount of weight, and good sighting on it. I'm considering getting another handgun, it'd really be my first one since my other is more of an antique. If I liked that gun what other guns would you recommend I try? I'm tempted to buy one right now but it'd probably prudent to test out a couple more just in case I find something a like a hair more.

BayardInHandM.jpg

Last edited:
man that thing looks ancient.

dont know much about guns but I'd get a desert eagle

Desert Eagle? It has no practical use. You aren't going to conceal it (comfortably) and there are far better full size options out there. Maybe for a decent bear gun in Alaska or something.

Anywho OP, I also own a PX4 9mm and it's one of my favorite guns. It has a rotating barrel so that also absorbs a little more recoil. What will this pistol be used for primarily? It is concealable with the right holster but for me it is just a hair too large for everyday carry.

Other good 9mm pistols I have shot:

Glock 17/19
Springfield XD9 (haven't tried the XDm yet, but I hear it is good)
Beretta M9 (basically a larger version of the PX4 in operation)
S&W M&P 9mm
Taurus PT (Beretta clone)
Sig P220

All of these shot well and I would have no problem owning. The Sig shot a bit better than the rest, but it does come with a heftier price tag.

IMO you're going about it the right way. Too many people I know go out and buy a handgun without trying them out first. A few months later they'll shoot a friend's handgun and think "wow that one fits me so much better" and spend more money + trade in to get the other pistol.

The pistol will just be mainly used for target practice as well as the unlikely event of defending my home.

In addition to the Bayard I own a Ruger .22 and a New England Firearms 20 gauge. I've been around guns since I was a kid but mostly just .22's and shotguns. I took shooting sports for a few years in 4-H and was semi-competitive. I might consider taking a course or two to learn how to shoot a little better though as I'm not exceptionally familiar with handguns and it's been a while since I've rigorously practiced. I've noticed I'm not maintaining a constant grip and I'm anticipating the recoil. It'd be nice practicing with someone that can point out other things I'm doing wrong.

I believe they did have a Glock 17 and a Sig P220 there. I liked the grip better on the PX4 and I liked the weight better, but they weren't loaded and I didn't fire them. Next time I go(maybe tomorrow or next week) I'll try those out.

I wouldn't want to spend more than $500 though(which I saw a PX4 for about $450 new).

Try a Glock 19 if they have it. I don't think you'll find a Sig for under $500. Oh, and don't be afraid to buy used.

Just got back again from the range. They didn't have any S&W or Springfield. So I tried out a Glock 19 and a Sig P220. Even though the Sig felt like a good gun, I think with target shooting being my main reason for buying a gun and with ammo costs the way they are, I'm going to avoid getting a .45 for the moment and stick with a 9.

The Glock felt good and I liked it but I must say I still like the PX4 better. I like the size and the longer grip on it. And I liked the action better.

How easy is it to get parts and accessories for the Beretta? I think that's what I'm leaning towards.

What are you looking for as far as parts and accessories? Replacement/repair parts are no problem, but the PX4 isn't going to be as customizable as a Glock due to popularity and the fact that the PX4 is a relatively new pistol.

My PX4 9mm is hands down my favorite pistol and it has been for the 2+ years i've owned it. No malfunctions and eats every type of ammo thrown at it. As far as customization goes it basically is gonna hold its own on Glocks, anything under the chin will be the same, I put Trijicon sights on mine, stainless guide rod, lighter hammer spring, it has the 3 different backstraps/mag release buttons and slim saftey/decocker controls.

Everything you could wants as far as info on parts, different models, or really anything on Beretta guns can be found
Welcome to the Beretta Forum

I'm partial to Beretta's but you can tell im not bias towards them.
DSC_0066-1.jpg

fmpdnm.jpg

Last edited:
man that thing looks ancient.

dont know much about guns but I'd get a desert eagle

Haha, the desert eagle is the shittiest gun for just about anything except for use in Hollywierd movies.

I did love the looks before I knew anything about guns though...

OP,

F@ck the feeling of the gun in your hand! Seriously, most modern guns have decent enough ergonomics. Some super comfy feeling guns are crap (XD's). I would not trust most people working behind the gun shop counters...

I never hear much about how the PX4's perform.

I'd get something proven for reliability and durability. Something respected by gun trainers who hold classes that shoot 800+ rounds per person/per class. They are a pretty good testing ground for gun quality or lack thereof...

I recommend:

A glock in 9mm
S&W M&P's
HK's

Join or lurk on M4carbine.net for lots of good info on guns actually meant to be shot, a lot..

What are you looking for as far as parts and accessories? Replacement/repair parts are no problem, but the PX4 isn't going to be as customizable as a Glock due to popularity and the fact that the PX4 is a relatively new pistol.

Well as you can probably tell I'm an amateur so I'm not looking to go too crazy on accessories. More just basic parts.

My PX4 9mm is hands down my favorite pistol and it has been for the 2+ years i've owned it. No malfunctions and eats every type of ammo thrown at it. As far as customization goes it basically is gonna hold its own on Glocks, anything under the chin will be the same, I put Trijicon sights on mine, stainless guide rod, lighter hammer spring, it has the 3 different backstraps/mag release buttons and slim saftey/decocker controls.

Everything you could wants as far as info on parts, different models, or really anything on Beretta guns can be found
Welcome to the Beretta Forum

Thanks for the link. I think I might go ahead and get that gun in a week or two and I'll look into that forum more.

I'm probably just going to buy an extra clip, a speed loader, and maybe a holster with the gun. Any ideas where I can get a good deal on ammo? I'm guessing FMJ ammo is the type I should go with?

Oh and here is the link to the PX4 that I plan on getting. Seems like a pretty good deal($200 less than the gun shop I went to). Beretta PX4 Storm Type F 9mm 17 round $459.00 SHIPS FREE

I'm a Sig Sauer man myself, but i've sold quite a few Px4s and the feedback has been quite positive. If you liked the PX4, and only wish to spend around $500, the S&W M&P, Spingfield Armory XD, and Glock 17/19 are all models worth looking into.

That being said, if you don't mind buying used there are deals to be found regarding police trade in Glocks and Sig Sauers.

This guy is a reputable dealer and his prices are just about the best i've seen:

Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

On a side note, they are called magazines, not clips. Sorry, its a pet peeve of mine.

OP,

F@ck the feeling of the gun in your hand! Seriously, most modern guns have decent enough ergonomics. Some super comfy feeling guns are crap (XD's). I would not trust most people working behind the gun shop counters...

I never hear much about how the PX4's perform.

I'd get something proven for reliability and durability. Something respected by gun trainers who hold classes that shoot 800+ rounds per person/per class. They are a pretty good testing ground for gun quality or lack thereof...

I recommend:

A glock in 9mm
S&W M&P's
HK's

Join or lurk on M4carbine.net for lots of good info on guns actually meant to be shot, a lot..

I've checked out a handful of other forums as well as talked to other people at the gun range and I haven't heard anything really negative about the PX4. The only things I've heard is some people don't like the trigger(which I do) and it's a hair large to conceal(which I don't plan on doing anytime soon). Most of the reviews I've read/heard have been great and it seems like a reliable weapon. I like the safety much better on the PX4 and I like the trigger and action more as well.

The gun comes with 2 - 17 rd mags and Beretta is running a special mail in offer for a 3rd mag or of course the 10 rounders if your in cali. The gun also comes with a speed loader. Believe it or not good ol Wal-Mart is a pretty decent place for me to find good ammo for a good price but nothing beats reloading the stuff yourself.

The gun comes with 2 - 17 rd mags and Beretta is running a special mail in offer for a 3rd mag or of course the 10 rounders if your in cali. The gun also comes with a speed loader. Believe it or not good ol Wal-Mart is a pretty decent place for me to find good ammo for a good price but nothing beats reloading the stuff yourself.

Ah it comes with a 2nd mag and speed loader then? Assuming it comes with a case I'm set until I get more familiar with it. I'll still take a free 3rd mag even if it is the 10 rounder.

I'll have to check out Wal-Mart. On that same site I'm considering purchasing that gun they have 1000 rounds of FMJ for about $200. That seems like a decent deal considering I was paying $17 for a box of 50 when I was renting all of those guns.

If you're going to carry it regularly and are concerned about weight I personally like the Glock 19C.

If you don't care about weight the semi-compact model of the Jericho 941/Baby Eagle is a good, reliable, easy to shoot, easy to maintain, and relatively inexpensive weapon. It's somewhat heavy but the semi-compact isn't too bad of a carry size and the weight and solid steel construction make it particularly useful for CQD if it ever becomes neccessary. It's based on the CZ-75 which itself is based on the Browning High Power so it's a good old reliable design overall. It also has an easy to manipulate safety/decocker. If you look to try one out find a pre 2005 or post 2007 model as the barrel will have polygonal rifling which gives you a slightly better bullet velocity and you may as well take advantage.

I'm not a fan of Beretta(they've always felt funny to me) though admittedly I haven't handled the PX4.

I've checked out a handful of other forums as well as talked to other people at the gun range and I haven't heard anything really negative about the PX4. The only things I've heard is some people don't like the trigger(which I do) and it's a hair large to conceal(which I don't plan on doing anytime soon). Most of the reviews I've read/heard have been great and it seems like a reliable weapon. I like the safety much better on the PX4 and I like the trigger and action more as well.

Cool, buy it and take a pistol class. Tell us how it runs! :cool:

Hey big guy I just double checked the mail in magazine offer and it looks like time is running short on it. The deal is you have to buy the pistol from april 6th to august 31st and sent in the certificate by September 30th so that basically gives you today and tomorrow to make a decision. If I were you I would consider this the final kick in the pants to purchase the gun, you won't be disappointed and you will still get the 3rd mag.

Berettausa

Last edited:
Any idea if it comes with a cleaning kit generally?

Yeah I guess I should buy it. I think I've done a decent amount of homework.

Damn. I went to go buy that gun at that store and they aren't carrying it anymore. Any good stores to buy guns online? Found it for $489 somewhere else compared to the $459 I could of gotten it for.

Comes with a basic cleaning kit but look to invest in a Bore-Snake in the future. In all reality you've done more research on pistols then pretty much everyone else who goes out and tries a couple at the counter and grabs a glock based on their friends advice (who doesnt know shit).

Yeah I saw that link is no longer active, that sucks

Are you shipping it to a FFL dealer?

Back