Bent Roll Pin In My Bar?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by JudoChop!, Jan 4, 2015.

1. JudoChop!

JudoChop! Pasties

First and foremost, yes I used the search function. Yes I read these two threads

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f13/advice-buying-new-bar-round-2-a-1115232/

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f13/barbell-broken-2822513/

My bar is a Hapmton Fitness IB-86-7CE (I think) 7', bronze bushing, 30mm, 135,000 psi, hard chrome bar.

I was doing the deads yesterday and as I lowered the bar onto the horse stall mats I heard a louder clang than I usually do. After I finished the set I took the plates off and gave the sleeve where I heard the clang a wiggle and it had much more movement in it then it normally does. My issue is that my sleeves/collars are held on by roll pins. I couldnt find much info on how to fix a sleeve/collar with roll pins.

Bad collar/sleeve
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont know a ton about barbells but it looks like the collar and sleeve have slid off of the bushing by just a little bit. It might not look like much but when I wiggle the end of this sleeve it has about an inch of play in all directions. You can see what Im guessing is the bushing case sticking out a bit pas the collar. you can also see this side is losing a little grease.

Good collar/sleeve
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the good side and it has only about 1/8" to a 1/4" of play when you wiggle the end. You really cant see the bushing case when looking straight down on it, and its not really losing any grease like the other side.

End of bar with roll pin hole
    [​IMG]

This picture is just to show the end of the bar, and their roll pin holes. Neither collar roll pin hole or sleeve roll pin hole goes all the way through the bar, so I dont really think there is any way to pop the roll pin out. This also makes me wonder how the collar/sleeve is slowly moving on the bad side? I think I might have a bent roll pin on that side. I tried to pull that sleeve all the way off and it wont move any more than it has. I can buy a new bar, but I would like to fix this one if I can, but right now that is not looking like an option.

2. 48mpg

48mpg Blue Belt

knock the pin out and replace it.

I know Lowe's has a selection as does Napa. Other hardware stores would have them as well.

3. JudoChop!

JudoChop! Pasties

The hole doesnt go all the way through. You cant knock it out as far as I can tell. I would have to pull it out of the hole the way it went in...and Im pretty sure that is not possible. This is the problem.

4. 48mpg

48mpg Blue Belt

drill it out

or take it to a machine shop. They can def do it, it just might cost you more than its worth.

I'm assuming you are at the point of fix it or buy a new one.